Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:20 AM

893 posts, read 790,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
I am sorry...I know it sounds like a silly question. It's just that so many on the forum have said that it is hard to make friends in CT if you are new and having small children makes it a litle easier because they will have classmates and you meet with parents, etc. Forgive my ignorance. Thanks for replying though.

http://www.andrews.edu/~chicog/banner.gif (broken link)
We are at the opposite of your situation, we are empty nesters. We moved here 6 months ago. My advice is never move to New England in the fall for the reason that you are going into winter when nobody can be outside. My husband is a big golfer and that is how he makes friends, well there is none of that here for 6 months during the winter. We are not big joiners because we've never had to be. I'm hoping when the warm weather arrives that people will be outside and we can meet the ones that will speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 05:07 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
We are at the opposite of your situation, we are empty nesters. We moved here 6 months ago. My advice is never move to New England in the fall for the reason that you are going into winter when nobody can be outside. My husband is a big golfer and that is how he makes friends, well there is none of that here for 6 months during the winter. We are not big joiners because we've never had to be. I'm hoping when the warm weather arrives that people will be outside and we can meet the ones that will speak.
Your advice is certainly well taken and understood. What part of the country did you come from before? Winters in Litchfield county are a tough time to meet people outdoors- unless you are into winter sports or hunt-not for golfing.

As for whats left of the winter- if you enjoy wine or gardening- there are some excellent wineries, as well gardening clubs. There are also theater groups, and many art clubs as well- just a few suggestions.

We all hope it will be an early spring- and a belated welcome to the state of CT I may add.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 AM

409 posts, read 1,747,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
Hi, Cruikshl

Thanks for responding. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you are happy in your new home. Spring is right around the corner, so I will keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:24 AM

409 posts, read 1,747,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor-guy View Post
Ct is a really boring place where no body says hello or even notices that your the new neighbor. (Actually, they notice but are way TOO yankee and reserved to offer a welcome or a hello).
Its a WASPY little state where people are the coldest and unfriendliest of all New England states.
I have lived here 5 years and have owned two homes and barely ever saw anybody in the neighborhod. The people here are distant cold and snotty.
Because many work in the financial industry they tend to be odd, quirky, nerdy, intelligent and rich and very distant and unapproachable..
I am super friendly and always saying hi to people, even strangers, and helping people; many times many many times people are shocked that I even cared or noticed someone who was in trouble(car trouble, or other similar situations.). People are surprised that someone actually was not COLD and heartless.
Now, the best thing this state has are the immigrant communities. It is a haven of oppurunity for hardworking immigrants; and thank God, many of these immigrants hold onto their culture; cuisine, music, language; so in some cities and towns their is a healthy diversity.
The schools are among the best in the nation, but who cares? Do you want your kids to grow up heartless, cold, spoiled and perfect? Not me. I want my kids to be fully engaged and alive, the best learning happens in a culturally rich and diverse enviroment, not in a emotionally sick and stifling place like CT.
In many of the rich towns the kids are spoiled rotten and are real jerks.

Now, dont get me wrong, some of the people are nice, once they allow themselves the luxury of acknowledging you exist.... but just way too reserved ... It befudles me that anybody could enjoy living around here. The people never have any fun, they're just too busy planning their retirement and 401k's....... The people dont smile or laugh around here, just very serious and and busy ....keeping up with the Joneses.."I need a newer & bigger SUV".........etc...
Stay in CA your gonna hate it here.
I'm pulling up the stakes soon and moving the clan outta here to a warmer friendlier state, maybe CA.

See Ya in CA

The title of the thread is...."what do you love about conn.?" KEEP THE POSITIVE POSTS COMING FOLKS!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:45 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,674 times
What I Love About Connecticut

1. It's home. My family and friends are here. My history is here. This is what I know.
2. I feel like whatever you could want or need can be found here. It's great being between NYC and Boston because it means everything is convenient. Any kind of food you want (unless majorly exotic--and then just go to NYC), any kind of hospital you need, any store you want to go to, any sort of help/info necessary, it's right here.
3. the whole cliche four seasons thing, plus being near the ocean or skiing if you're into that
4. I love the whole Yankees/Red Sox debate. I'm on the Yankees side.
5. two great UConn basketball teams, both #1 right now
6. many Italian people, which I am, and their corresponding food
7. mostly very intelligent people who know what's going on in the world and can express themselves in an educated fashion
8. state is modern/humane in its treatment of animals for the most part
9. a blue state, thank you very much
10. We are ranked highly as a state with healthy people. Again, we're self-aware and up-to-date.

I love this place!

Last edited by trustmeiknow; 02-16-2009 at 02:04 AM..

Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 AM

131 posts, read 479,173 times
We moved to CT in September from NYC. I love the small excellent schools, the politeness of the drivers in comparison to NYC (people are far more likely to wave you out of a side turning, less middle finger waving ;-), we are five minutes from the beach, our town (Stratford) has everything all in one place, ten minutes drive to rural areas, the seasons are gorgeous, and we've met a lot of friendly helpful people and neighbors. We do have a Jerry Springer family a few doors down from us but they are the exception. Our street alone is very diverse (Syrian, Dominican, English, African American, Italian, Columbian). I love the open sky, again in comparison to the limited view in NYC. The wildlife is astounding, makes me smile every day. Many of the homes are very beautiful, and the town centers are gorgeous.

I don't like the congestion on I-95 (and I drive to NYC daily), and I have come across some snooty people, but you honestly find those everywhere. I miss the camaraderie of living in an apartment building at times, but that's about it!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:16 AM

394 posts, read 1,397,414 times
Default Ct

I grew up in RI and always enjoyed my day trips to CT. It is a very pretty state, with some sleepy, hidden out of the way areas (often referred to as hollows) that can really take you back a century or two. I love going to the museums in Hartford or New Haven, and I like that the sophistication of NY influences these areas, unlike in Western MA. The CT river is beautiful. Ct does have its development and one must look beyond that to find the hidden gems, as I have.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 PM

60 posts, read 220,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
I am sorry...I know it sounds like a silly question. It's just that so many on the forum have said that it is hard to make friends in CT if you are new and having small children makes it a litle easier because they will have classmates and you meet with parents, etc. Forgive my ignorance. Thanks for replying though.
I know this post is almost a year old, but it's SO true. DH and I have lived in CT our entire lives and it's hard to meet people when you're older, out of school...but haven't moved into the kiddo stage yet.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:55 AM

362 posts, read 774,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
My family is considering a move to Conn. from the San Francisco Bay area. I was wondering if people could share what they LOVE about Conn and things they wish were different about Conn. It has been challenging trying to decide on where to move to. I am originally from the Albany NY area and have been out here for 10 yrs. I have never wanted to stay out here forever and want to raise my family in a place where you actually see and know your neighbors. We have tons of kids on our court but no one is ever outside.Don't get it. Am hoping that Conn may be a good fit for us. Thanks for the help
Connecticut Sucks, I can't wait to move out

Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 AM

200 posts, read 610,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
Connecticut Sucks, I can't wait to move out
Goodbye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut