Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:19 AM

24 posts, read 44,521 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Ct, my husband works in Middletown. Are there any nice town around Tolland/Manchester?
- Looking to spend around $225k-$250k
- Need to have great schools
- No more than 30-40 mins from Middletown and Windsor Lock
- country/quiet towns

Are there any towns that fit that description around that area or are we better off moving closer to Middletown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:23 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Tolland itself is a great choice. Coventry is another town as well.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:21 AM

503 posts, read 530,156 times
Tolland may be within 40 min of Middletown during optimal conditions but definitely not during rush hour. Is there a reason you are specifically mentioning Manchester/Tolland? I ask because there are nice rural towns much closer to Middletown with good schools, like Middlefield and Durham. I've noticed a pattern on here where wives try to make their husbands drive long commutes for some reason.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:33 PM

Thanks for your help. Do you think Tolland and Coventry are as nice and schools as good as Middlefield, East Hampton and the other towns around Middletown?
FunkOdyssey my husband would happy to stay where we live in Massachusetts, we like the area and are from around there. He doesn't mind driving, he has been doing it for 10yrs. But now that we are out growing our home and my oldest is ready to start school we are thinking moving to Ct would be best. We have been looking at towns near Middletown, but we also wanted to look into places closer to Massachusetts. Plus we would like to stay within 30-40 mins to Windsor locks, a branch of his company is there and if he ever starts working there again we would like to keep his commute to less than 40mins. That's why we were thinking Tolland and any other rural/quiet towns around Manchester might be a good idea.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel_jenni View Post
Thanks for your help. Do you think Tolland and Coventry are as nice and schools as good as Middlefield, East Hampton and the other towns around Middletown?
FunkOdyssey my husband would happy to stay where we live in Massachusetts, we like the area and are from around there. He doesn't mind driving, he has been doing it for 10yrs. But now that we are out growing our home and my oldest is ready to start school we are thinking moving to Ct would be best. We have been looking at towns near Middletown, but we also wanted to look into places closer to Massachusetts. Plus we would like to stay within 30-40 mins to Windsor locks, a branch of his company is there and if he ever starts working there again we would like to keep his commute to less than 40mins. That's why we were thinking Tolland and any other rural/quiet towns around Manchester might be a good idea.
In terms of test scores, Coventry and Tolland typically beat out Middlefield and East Hampton. In terms of the breadth of course offerings and number of advanced courses, you might need to look more in depth at each school system and decide for yourself.

You might also want to look into Marlborough, Andover and Hebron.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
In terms of test scores, Coventry and Tolland typically beat out Middlefield and East Hampton. In terms of the breadth of course offerings and number of advanced courses, you might need to look more in depth at each school system and decide for yourself.

You might also want to look into Marlborough, Andover and Hebron.
Thanks NewJeffCt, after talking more last night I think we may just move closer to Middletown. We are now thinking either Marlborough, Glastonbury, East Haddam, East Hampton, Haddam/Higganum, Durham, Middlefield, Chester, Deep River or Killingworth. They all seem to have good schools and seem like good towns to live in. Would you agree? Do you know if there are any good bike/walk trails for families in any of those towns? Also do you think I would be able to find a grocery store within 10-15 minutes in those towns? I don't mind driving 30 minutes to get to a mall/clothing store, but really would like a grocery store near by.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:12 AM

Glastonbury has two Stop & Shops within the town, as well as a Whole Foods and Highland Park Market. I think Deep River has a large IGA grocer, but I forget the name. I believe East Hampton has a Stop & Shop and Hebron has a large IGA grocer.

Not sure about Big Ys in Connecticut River Valley. I think once you get south of Middletown, most of the towns along Route 9 do not have a large chain grocery store until you get down to Old Saybrook,Old Lyme and East Lyme.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Glastonbury has two Stop & Shops within the town, as well as a Whole Foods and Highland Park Market. I think Deep River has a large IGA grocer, but I forget the name. I believe East Hampton has a Stop & Shop and Hebron has a large IGA grocer.

Not sure about Big Ys in Connecticut River Valley. I think once you get south of Middletown, most of the towns along Route 9 do not have a large chain grocery store until you get down to Old Saybrook,Old Lyme and East Lyme.

Thanks again for your help

Old 07-13-2015, 06:55 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel_jenni View Post
Thanks NewJeffCt, after talking more last night I think we may just move closer to Middletown. We are now thinking either Marlborough, Glastonbury, East Haddam, East Hampton, Haddam/Higganum, Durham, Middlefield, Chester, Deep River or Killingworth. They all seem to have good schools and seem like good towns to live in. Would you agree? Do you know if there are any good bike/walk trails for families in any of those towns? Also do you think I would be able to find a grocery store within 10-15 minutes in those towns? I don't mind driving 30 minutes to get to a mall/clothing store, but really would like a grocery store near by.
I live in Marlborough. There are grocery stores nearby (<15 minutes) but which ones are closest to you depends on where you live in town. There are Stop and Shops in East Hampton, Colchester, and Glastonbury; Highland Park Market in Glastonbury; Whole Foods in Glastonbury; and Ted's IGA in Hebron. I live closer to Glastonbury, so that is where I do my shopping but if you lived on the western side of town, East Hampton would be closest. There is talk of a grocery store coming to Marlborough (Price Chopper, I believe) but it is still in the planning stages between the store and the town. For non-food shopping, I am about 20 minutes from Buckland Hills in Manchester, which is home to every chain store known to man.

There is the Airline Trail, which is a rails to trails. The Colchester part of the trail is just barely outside the Marlborough town line and great for walking or bike riding (plus snow shoeing or CC skiing in winter), especially for kids since the paths are wide and flat:
DEEP: Air Line State Park Trail

The town of Marlborough itself is developing some trails in town but they are more along the lines of nature trails: Trail Maps

Blackledge Falls is in Glastonbury but right near the Marlborough town line, and a nice little hike (very kid friendly) and it abuts Gay City State Park: Glastonbury, CT : Parks & Cemeteries

Marlborough also has its own lake for town residents to use for swimming and paddling (Lake Terramuggus), which has lifeguards during the summer months.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:43 AM

Thanks Mels for all the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut