Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 AM

814 posts, read 911,368 times

Advertisements

Planning 3 days at the end of August to Putnam County NY but on Saturday would like to spend it in Connecticut. If we can take our grandchild along the Danbury Mall would be a stop for a ride on the carosuel.

Hows gas prices in the state? We're about 2.64 a gallon in Va and diesel around 2.88. Our Dodge has more room, dvd player and all but it has the Hemi and loves to drink gas. We also have a Volkswagen turbo diesel which gets way better gas mileage, its a 2015 Jetta and has no where near thr room our Durango Limited has.

Anyways I was thinking maybe visit the Ct. Coast, get some ice cream but if anyone has better ideas please share, seeing some new england farm towns might be fun as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 10:45 AM

642 posts, read 858,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Planning 3 days at the end of August to Putnam County NY but on Saturday would like to spend it in Connecticut. If we can take our grandchild along the Danbury Mall would be a stop for a ride on the carosuel.

Hows gas prices in the state? We're about 2.64 a gallon in Va and diesel around 2.88. Our Dodge has more room, dvd player and all but it has the Hemi and loves to drink gas. We also have a Volkswagen turbo diesel which gets way better gas mileage, its a 2015 Jetta and has no where near thr room our Durango Limited has.

Anyways I was thinking maybe visit the Ct. Coast, get some ice cream but if anyone has better ideas please share, seeing some new england farm towns might be fun as well.
If you are going to be in that area how about Squantz Pond that is close to Danbury. When we were kids in Stamford and we skipped high school for the day that is one of the places we would go. I remember it being very nice.

DEEP: Squantz Pond State Park

Old 07-12-2015, 11:08 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Either Litchfield or Mystic. Litchfield is a lot closer.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:24 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
Squantz Pond is very nice and it's nearby in New Fairfield. But I'd avoid it like the plague on a weekend (it's loaded with loud/obnoxious day trippers from the Bronx, and you'd have to get there super early because parking has been scaled way back due to historic overcrowding and multiple yearly drownings in the early 2000s). During the week it's lovely though. I'd also avoid Kent Falls on a weekend too. After Squantz started limiting number of daily visitors, those same loud obnoxious people discovered the Falls. It's a shame the condition that the park is left in after they leave. It's disgusting, actually. Garbage all over the place.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:01 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,396 times
Thumbs down Kent Falls

What a shame - that park was lovely and quiet back when I used to go maybe about 10 years ago. Never used to be crowded either. Oh well, nothing is forever, I guess.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:56 PM

814 posts, read 911,368 times
What about the Pez Factory?

Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
What a shame - that park was lovely and quiet back when I used to go maybe about 10 years ago. Never used to be crowded either. Oh well, nothing is forever, I guess.
It really is a shame. There was a write up about the situation at Kent Falls (last summer I think) in the News Times. It immediately brought back horrible memories of how bad it used to get in my town before the State finally cracked down on the number of daily visitors permitted. I believe they slashed parking at Squantz in half -- from 500 to 250; banned alcohol; and put signage up along 84 when the park reached capacity, and also along routes 37 and 39. Signage alone helped tremendously because what often would happen is that the visitors had no idea that the park reached capacity and was closed by the time they got off the highway, and by then it would be too late -- they'd get up to New Fairfield, and would find themselves trapped here with nowhere to go, but with a boatload of food and people stuffed into their cars.... They would then resort to setting up their bbq's in our local supermarket parking lot and partying there with their radios blasting; or worse still -- on residents front lawns! Huge fight broke out one year when a homeowner found a group picnicking on his front lawn near the road and using his shrubs as their "facilities". Police were called, and it got ugly...

Anyway, they may need to implement similar measures in a Kent if they haven't done so already, because the measures taken at Squantz really did help make a bad situation more manageable.

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-13-2015 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-13-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
What about the Pez Factory?
Meh. How old is your grandchild? What about Lake Compounce for the day? If he/she is older than 7, it could be a fun day. Any younger than that though, waste of money IMO. Quasi could be a good alternative for a younger child, plus it's closer to Danbury...

Old 07-13-2015, 06:48 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:

August is the start of Fair Season in Connecticut. Here is a calendar of events. CTAgFairs

I also second Litchfield County plenty of beautiful farms up there.

You're a car guy so check out Limerock. Very fun for the Family.

Gas runs about $2.90/g and Diesel is about 3.40/g.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:51 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
A few people have offered some suggestions, IMO these are what mostly come to mind and what I would suggest:

1. Lake Compounce (Southington) https://www.lakecompounce.com/
2. Maritime Aquarium (Norwalk) Welcome to The Maritime Aquarium
3. Quassy Amusement Park (Middlebury) Quassy Amusement Park in CT - Theme Park Rides - Family Waterpark :: Home
4. Beardsley Zoo (Bridgeport) Beardsley Zoo Staging | Beardsley Zoo Test Site
5. Dinosaur State Park (Rocky Hill) Home Page for Dinosaur State Park

These are all located in western or central CT so it's less of a drive to these places. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut