Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:19 AM

53 posts, read 162,060 times

Advertisements

I'd post the name of the company the oil tech worked for but he'd probably lose his job.
any way my burner tech has informed me i can fill 5 gallon cans at the diesel pump to
tide me over in a pinch. Right now its easier to spend ~$35-$40 a week vs the $580.00 delivery
the oil company required.

Hopefully i can make it til April like this and hold out til july to fill up at the lower rates : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2000kid View Post
I'd post the name of the company the oil tech worked for but he'd probably lose his job.
any way my burner tech has informed me i can fill 5 gallon cans at the diesel pump to
tide me over in a pinch. Right now its easier to spend ~$35-$40 a week vs the $580.00 delivery
the oil company required.

Hopefully i can make it til April like this and hold out til july to fill up at the lower rates : )
Or if you locked in, you wouldn't have to deal with these prices. I locked in at 2.589 and so glad I did.

Personally, I would never chance adding diesel to my oil burner...they are too expensive to replace!

Gas prices are expected to go up even higher...forecasted up to $3.75 a gallon this spring.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
I agree, I'd never experiment with adding diesel to my oil tank. And I heard gas forecast to $4 or more a gallon by summer. It's just going higher and higher.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:24 AM

53 posts, read 162,060 times
Unfortunately i had no money to get locked in when prices were lower
and I cant really afford a $580 dollar delivery either, so this is really my best bet
unless i get a windfall, Not everyone has that kind of cash at the ready to lock in and pre buy 1000 gallons for the year ya know : (

Old 01-23-2011, 04:04 AM

47 posts, read 156,962 times
My brother is the service manager for an oil company and has been servicing burners for over 30 years. If you run out of fuel, you can throw some diesel in there to tide you over until you can get a delivery but it is not meant to be run exclusively. Also, locking in a price does not mean the same as prepaying for oil. I never prepay for oil, but I can lock in a price with my oil company each year. Some companies will only do it if you have a service contract with them, so you have to call around. A new oil burner will cost several thousand dollars so I would think long and hard about what you put into it.

Most companies require a 100 gallon minimum so you should be able to get that for under $400.

Last edited by Trainspotter; 01-23-2011 at 04:20 AM..

Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2000kid View Post
Unfortunately i had no money to get locked in when prices were lower
and I cant really afford a $580 dollar delivery either, so this is really my best bet
unless i get a windfall, Not everyone has that kind of cash at the ready to lock in and pre buy 1000 gallons for the year ya know : (
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainspotter View Post
. Also, locking in a price does not mean the same as prepaying for oil. I never prepay for oil, but I can lock in a price with my oil company each year.
Most companies require a 100 gallon minimum so you should be able to get that for under $400.
Trainspotter is correct. Not only did I NOT prepay, I pay a monthly bill for 10 months of the year.....makes heating more affordable.

OP, have you even called any oil companies because they would explain all this to you.....

The big oil companies have programs and payment plans in place so that lower income people can heat their homes. Your posts don't make much sense to me?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 AM

138 posts, read 511,886 times
I am glad this topic came up. I rent my home and my LL is responsible for maintaining the service contact with the oil company. We are with Casey Oil. The will NOT let me lock in or do monthly because I am a renter. The only way the would let me lock in is to pay for it all up front. Does this sound right? I agree with op that its hard to shell out $500 for our 150 minimum. But I don't have $1500-2k to give them all up front either. I was just aggravated that they have different rules for renters or unless there is some other plan that they are not telling me about. A monthly payment plan would seriously make things easier.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut24 View Post
I am glad this topic came up. I rent my home and my LL is responsible for maintaining the service contact with the oil company. We are with Casey Oil. The will NOT let me lock in or do monthly because I am a renter. The only way the would let me lock in is to pay for it all up front. Does this sound right? I agree with op that its hard to shell out $500 for our 150 minimum. But I don't have $1500-2k to give them all up front either. I was just aggravated that they have different rules for renters or unless there is some other plan that they are not telling me about. A monthly payment plan would seriously make things easier.
Have you checked with other companies and seen what thei rpolicies are? Why not talk to your landlord and see if they will handle ordering the oil in their name and you just pay for it monthly? Jay

Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Or if you locked in, you wouldn't have to deal with these prices. I locked in at 2.589 and so glad I did.

Personally, I would never chance adding diesel to my oil burner...they are too expensive to replace!

Gas prices are expected to go up even higher...forecasted up to $3.75 a gallon this spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I agree, I'd never experiment with adding diesel to my oil tank. And I heard gas forecast to $4 or more a gallon by summer. It's just going higher and higher.
It's the SAME FUEL. The only difference right now is the pump is ULSD with 15PPM sulfur and fuel oil is LSD at 500ppm. But the reality is the sulfur is what causes the problems and need for cleaning so ULSD is actually better for your burner. However, most #2 these days is also ULSD as they are not going to bother to blend two fuels for the same purpose.

It's called #2 fuel oil. End of story. There is a reason they have a dye in home heating oil so anyone caught running it in their diesel vehicle and bypassing the state mandated tax gets fined BIG time.

Jet A or #1 is Kerosene and/or jet fuel #2 is #2 and then there is what's called "bunker fuel" that's a really thick sludge that has a higher BTU content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainspotter View Post
My brother is the service manager for an oil company and has been servicing burners for over 30 years. If you run out of fuel, you can throw some diesel in there to tide you over until you can get a delivery but it is not meant to be run exclusively.
Yea, well you might want to check his info again...either that or he's clueless.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 PM

12 posts, read 55,412 times
It's the same business....heating oil is dyed red so long haul drivers can't sneak it in to avoid road tax. Other than that, my god, use diesel to avoid oil company minimums...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut