Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,858 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to move to Fairfield county after getting a new job in Westport. We have narrowed down to Fairfield to buy a house because of the great school system and quiet life. All the houses we can afford in Fairfield though are in 06825 near Fairfield Metro train station. I am a bit concern about the area. Is it safe to walk from Fairfield Metro station area after around 7-8pm as that's when I will return in evening via train? What about the area near Frank Pepe? Bridgeport is really close by and we have been warned about that area but how is the Fairfield area around Fairfield-Bridgeport border? How about the area between Black-rock tpke and Kings Hwy?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 01:21 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
It's a safe area but generally gets the most amount of petty crime in town - car break ins, shoplifting, perps with Bridgeport addresses. Not as pretty, more dense housing than rest of town. Rest of town sneers at it as the "wrong side of the tracks". Easy commute to Westport though and good pricing on houses. Nice newer rebuilt elementary school in the area as well - it's nicer than 3 of the 4 richer schools on the other side of town.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:25 PM

399 posts, read 851,152 times
Hi - congrats on your husband's new job and welcome to Fairfield. Yes, that area is fine - you won't have any issues really any time of night. My biggest concern would be traffic on Commerce Ave, but that's not really a problem either (I think there are sidewalks there). While it is close to the Bridgeport border, that are is known as BlackRock and has some great restaurants as well as lovely homes. One thing I'd look at though would be the Stratfield area of Fairfield, a little farther northeast. You might (don't quote me) find similarly priced homes in that area as well. Either way you can't go wrong.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:39 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Fairfield is very low crime overall. Yes, there might be some areas that are more prone to crime than others, but that just means that one area is very low in crime, while the other is merely low in crime. I agree that traffic might be more of a concern than crime.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:18 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,185,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city2fairfield View Post
My husband wants to move to Fairfield county after getting a new job in Westport. We have narrowed down to Fairfield to buy a house because of the great school system and quiet life. All the houses we can afford in Fairfield though are in 06825 near Fairfield Metro train station. I am a bit concern about the area. Is it safe to walk from Fairfield Metro station area after around 7-8pm as that's when I will return in evening via train? What about the area near Frank Pepe? Bridgeport is really close by and we have been warned about that area but how is the Fairfield area around Fairfield-Bridgeport border? How about the area between Black-rock tpke and Kings Hwy?

Thanks in advance.
The area near Pepes is fine, but mostly commercial and very noisy. Walking from Metro 7-8pm is doable but mind the traffic as there is a lot of volume there. The area is not near the dangerous parts of Bridgeport (and bordered by the middle/upper class portions), and even Bridgeport isn't as dangerous as many would like to believe (unless you look for it). I currently live in the area between Black Rock and Kings Highway, grew up there too. Mostly hard working folks that dance to the beat of their own drum, and has a sight that is increasingly uncommon in America: kids playing in the streets together.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 07-21-2015, 03:13 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
The area is fine but it really is not that walkable. There are sidewalks on some streets but it is mostly a car oriented area. I am not sure how well sidewalks are maintained around there.

Frank Pepe's is on Commerce Drive which is really a more commercial/industrial area. It is kind of a long walk from Metro Center. I-95 is right there so it can be noisy. I would suggest looking more in Grasmere to the west of Metro Center or in the New England Streets area to the north. Not sure what you will find there though. Tunxis Hill is also a nice neighborhood but is not within walking distance. Unfortunately bus connections to Fairfield Metro from the rest of Fairfield are horrible so I can't even suggest taking a bus from the station. There could be rideshare options though. CTDOT has a program to connect people with rides. Check the link below. Finally I hate to say it but consider buying a car and using it for your commute to the station and other trips like food shopping, getting to your children's schools and just getting around the area. Sorry but this is not the city. Jay

CTrides - Free commuter services from the Connecticut DOT

Old 07-21-2015, 05:45 PM

281 posts, read 345,265 times
We've been in 06825 a couple of months now and it's been very nice, so far (Tunxis area). It's one of the lesser areas of Fairfield (praise with faint damning) but it's what we can afford.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,858 times
Thanks everyone for the response. This entire area varies greatly and we are more confused than ever. Tunxis Hill area is nice and quieter but its far from train station. Black Rock Tpke/ Kings Hwy is closer to train station but busier. Agents say one thing, online reports show something else. Don't understand how to choose. Thats why its important to know opinion of people who live here.
There are few affordable houses near Black Rock Tpke and Kings Hwy, but how is that area in walking around, safety and home appreciation? I have a 5months old and I want my parents to be able to take her on a walk in our absence. Both Black Rock tpke and Kings Hwy are very busy but what about residential lanes? There is no park nearby for my parents and daughter to go.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:58 PM

101 posts, read 111,840 times
I see people walking home at night from Metro station all the time. To Tunxis hill area you're talking 20-30 mins crossing some busy streets, I've done it but I wouldn't want to do it every day. I agree with Jay to look west near Grasmere or just north in the New england states area. Much easier/faster walking commute.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:25 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the response. This entire area varies greatly and we are more confused than ever. Tunxis Hill area is nice and quieter but its far from train station. Black Rock Tpke/ Kings Hwy is closer to train station but busier. Agents say one thing, online reports show something else. Don't understand how to choose. Thats why its important to know opinion of people who live here.
There are few affordable houses near Black Rock Tpke and Kings Hwy, but how is that area in walking around, safety and home appreciation? I have a 5months old and I want my parents to be able to take her on a walk in our absence. Both Black Rock tpke and Kings Hwy are very busy but what about residential lanes? There is no park nearby for my parents and daughter to go.
The area you are looking at sounds like it is the neighborhood around St. Emery's Church. This is a fine area. You are right that there is no park nearby. There are some shops along Kings Highway and a couple of restaurants. Stop & Shop is not too far but not that close. You might be better looking more in the McKinley School or Tunxis Hill Park area. There are playgrounds for children at both and they could walk to stores. But as you note this area is not near the train station. Again Grasmere or New England Streets area may offer a balance with Gould Manor Park and Whole Foods plaza near the station. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: