Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,969 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm not technically homeless since I have my vehicle to sleep in. Where are some places a homeless person can park legally for the night in Simsbury, Granby or possibly even Avon? Must be legal, I don't want to cause any trouble. A field or the woods would be ideal or even the back side of a business (if it's okay with the owner) or church parking lot. If you know of a place, please let me know. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 06:47 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,189 times
if your a kid and just got kicked out of your house for smoking pot and calling your mom a b*&(, go home, apologize and sleep safe.

If your situation is a truly rock bottom one, use the smart phone you must be on to look up state parks in the area. There's not many conservation officers in CT (park police), so you will likely not run into trouble with the law. But keep in mind anywhere that's isolated may also attract 2 legged creatures of the night, which is another problem entirely. Be safe. Find a dirt cheap motel if this is a short term emergency problem.

The only place i'm aware of in the entire state that your allowed to freely camp (ie. be in the park after sunset) is the Appalachian Trail.

Good luck.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:53 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,107 times
I would actually say go park in the police department's parking lot for the night. Safe… let them know you'll be there… and you're good...

Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erriiiic View Post
I guess I'm not technically homeless since I have my vehicle to sleep in. Where are some places a homeless person can park legally for the night in Simsbury, Granby or possibly even Avon? Must be legal, I don't want to cause any trouble. A field or the woods would be ideal or even the back side of a business (if it's okay with the owner) or church parking lot. If you know of a place, please let me know. Thank you!
I think Walmart has a policy of allowing people to park and sleep overnight in their parking lots. There's a Walmart on RT 44 in Avon. If you don't believe me and/or are not sure it's legit you can go inside and ask the manager.

I would forget about state parks with a car. All of them close after dusk or at some other time during the night and you will most likely get noticed by police and/or hassled by them.

P.S. i don't know why Walmart has this policy, but i have read about it before and I think at least one state (Maine) tried to stop it.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:45 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
P.S. i don't know why Walmart has this policy, but i have read about it before and I think at least one state (Maine) tried to stop it.
Maybe for all the night time truckers to cop some ZZZ's before heading back to distribution centers? That is definitely interesting.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:09 AM

25 posts, read 28,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Maybe for all the night time truckers to cop some ZZZ's before heading back to distribution centers? That is definitely interesting.
Back when I lived in Raleigh, I routinely saw people who parked their motorhomes/RVs at Walmarts for an overnight. Then, it suddenly it stopped a few years ago (around the time that the population started to surge in the Triangle). I wonder if Walmart only allows overnight parking in less populated areas. In any event, I would check with the specific Walmart's manager first before parking.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:39 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
There used to be a lot of homeless behind Milford Jai Alai, but I think Lowes/Hilton development had it closed off. I have seen indications there are some behind Wal Mart in Milford now.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:58 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erriiiic View Post
Your not homeless. Homeless people don't own vehicles to sleep in, have gas to move said vehicles around, they certainly don't have Internet access to post this, and most of all if you were homeless you wouldn't care if you broke any laws. Breaking laws means jail which would give you a roof and food. Whatever you did, undo it!

Old 08-08-2015, 04:04 PM

625 posts, read 2,049,834 times
All public libraries have internet access. Don't assume homeless people don't have access to the internet.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:51 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,974,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Your not homeless. Homeless people don't own vehicles to sleep in, have gas to move said vehicles around, they certainly don't have Internet access to post this, and most of all if you were homeless you wouldn't care if you broke any laws. Breaking laws means jail which would give you a roof and food. Whatever you did, undo it!
Plenty of homeless people have old cars or cell phones. Homeless means they have no permanent home, not that they have nothing. Many homeless people do not want to break a law because a criminal record would mean less opportunity to get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut