Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:54 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times

Advertisements

Today I went to Danbury with the purpose of photographing the downtown area. I underestimated the heat and humidity, so my photographing hobby journey became a driving around town journey. lol Anyway, I will go back to Danbury some time in October when the trees are colorful and the weather isn't so uncomfortable.

Here is the issue. Until today, I had never been to downtown Danbury. Passed through towns a handful of times, but never through the business district. Overall I was somewhat disappointed. Its nice, but not as nice as I imagined prior to visiting. I really liked the police department, its quite a handsome building. A few other buildings and public spaces caught my attention. But, it seems that Danbury is missing something, but I can't put my fingers on what exactly.

Keep in mind that my evaluation is from a car, in October I will get a closer look as I walk around.

Hopefully Danbury residents can chip in on what are the nice spots in Danbury. Also, any historic sites within the town limits? Maybe there's a festival in downtown in one of the weekends in October?

I also drove through some residential areas near downtown and they gave me a sort of willy nilly feeling. It isn't particularly bad, its actually a feeling I get in many towns in the Caribbean. lol But many of the streets don't have proper sidewalks and little details like that were missing, which took away from the visual appeal, IMO. Maybe a drove through the wrong part of town?

Lastly, does anyone knows if there is an airplane spotting area at Danbury Airport? I would like to take some photos of airplanes there, if its possible. They have a spotting area at Westchester County Airport, but I'm tired of spotting over there. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 06:09 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
I thought I was the only spotter in Connecticut! I don't have an answer for you... I know all the good spots at La Guardia and LAX, but, I assume, so do you.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:21 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Regarding spotting…. you can go to 121 Restaurant at the Oxford airport (off exit 15 or 16 on 84). It's the same owners as the 121 Restaurant in North Salem…great food and amazing views on the patio of planes coming/going. Mostly smaller prop planes but many private jets too...

Old 08-16-2015, 06:36 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Downtown Danbury has potential but is not much to look at unfortunately. It hasn't been thriving in decades.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:20 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Personally, I stay away from down town Danbury.....especially at night......the area is overrun with illegal immigrants, but does have some nice areas to photograph.....Terrywile Park for one

Old 08-17-2015, 07:42 AM

64 posts, read 69,768 times
You didn't miss anything.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:21 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
You didn't miss anything. Downtown has potential, but it has not been realized yet. Nicest street near downtown is Deer Hill Avenue by far, beginning with the beautiful Congregational Church (google it -- it really is quite impressive) at the intersection of West & Deer Hill. There are many attractive/stately old homes on that street too. Everything else downtown is meh

Old 08-17-2015, 07:25 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Well, I got the message. lol

@ SeeDoo342: I will try that restaurant near the Oxford Airport for the views and the food. Hopefully they both exceeds my expectations.

@ Beer belly: Is downtown not safe for photographing or is the issue only at night? How unsafe are we talking about? Bridgeport type?

@ Mlassof: Isn't LAX in California? A little far away. lol And no, I don't know the good spotting places at LAX. I'm sure you meant to say JFK, but who knows!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Used to go to Tuxedo Junction there years ago, never felt unsafe.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
The real question is, why did you imagine it was going to be really nice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut