Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:58 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times

Advertisements

Over the past 5 years the following has occurred in CT

1. State elected a Democratic Mayor that ran on raising taxes and spending
2. Agreed to raise taxes by the most in state history
3. Increased state spending by something like 15% well above inflation
4. Doubled down with more spending and tax increases in 2015
5. Struck down the death penalty even to the guys that murdered the family in Cheshire
6. Has turned into a Democratic progressive cesspool
7. Economy has cratered, companies are leaving left and right
8. Malloy is bribing companies to stay like giving 200 Million to UTC

So CT has gone totally bat crazy liberal.

Why don't the liberals in this state do something worthwhile and legalize marijuana?

It would make us the first state on the east coast other than DC to legalize it. Maybe we could get some tax revenue too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 06:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Over the past 5 years the following has occurred in CT

1. State elected a Democratic Mayor that ran on raising taxes and spending
2. Agreed to raise taxes by the most in state history
3. Increased state spending by something like 15% well above inflation
4. Doubled down with more spending and tax increases in 2015
5. Struck down the death penalty even to the guys that murdered the family in Cheshire
6. Has turned into a Democratic progressive cesspool
7. Economy has cratered, companies are leaving left and right
8. Malloy is bribing companies to stay like giving 200 Million to UTC

So CT has gone totally bat crazy liberal.

Why don't the liberals in this state do something worthwhile and legalize marijuana?

It would make us the first state on the east coast other than DC to legalize it. Maybe we could get some tax revenue too

Can we just move these threads to politics, and discuss relocation, demographics, etc? I am sure I am not the only one who finds posts list this highly insulting and baiting. I fall for it way too often..

Old 08-16-2015, 06:10 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Many liberals who run this state are against it. Many of them think it will destroy families and they have the mindset that if they legalize it then everyone will use it. How many people who don't use it, will use it when it becomes legal? I bet little to no people will. Only the people who use it illegally will use it. The thing is many young people are for it while a more older population are against it. So since the people who run this state are older...I don't think I need to explain more. You should get the point by now. Nothing that we say or do will change the politicians mind. They have their own quota and they'll do anything they want even if the majority of the population is for it. It's completely irreverent to them. They do whatever they want. The government runs the people while it should be the people run the government. That's how it should be. I am completely for legalization of marijuana but if it becomes legal in Connecticut then this state will probably be one of the last to do it.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Many liberals who run this state are against it. Many of them think it will destroy families and they have the mindset that if they legalize it then everyone will use it. How many people who don't use it, will use it when it becomes legal? I bet little to no people will. Only the people who use it illegally will use it. The thing is many young people are for it while a more older population are against it. So since the people who run this state are older...I don't think I need to explain more. You should get the point by now. Nothing that we say or do will change the politicians mind. They have their own quota and they'll do anything they want even if the majority of the population is for it. It's completely irreverent to them. They do whatever they want. The government runs the people while it should be the people run the government. That's how it should be. I am completely for legalization of marijuana but if it becomes legal in Connecticut then this state will probably be one of the last to do it.
If CT were to legalize MJ they would do it through an amendment that the voters pass. That is how it happened in WA, CO & AK.

The majority of voters in CT are in favor of legalization so why not? Can't the liberals in this state do anything right?

Poll: More Than Six In Ten Connecticut Voters Say Legalize Marijuana | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Old 08-16-2015, 06:31 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Quote:
If CT were to legalize MJ they would do it through an amendment that the voters pass. That is how it happened in WA, CO & AK.

The majority of voters in CT are in favor of legalization so why not? Can't the liberals in this state do anything right?

Poll: More Than Six In Ten Connecticut Voters Say Legalize Marijuana | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform
They post these polls about legalizing marijuana all the time but remember we have a governor and MANY other state legislatures that are against it. If they're personally against it then the governor will veto a bill and pat himself on the back. It's unfortunate for me that nearly everything the governor does...I'm against it. But yet he speaks for the whole state so we just have to accept the opinions of those who work in the state capital. We really don't have a choice. It just seems like nearly everything the state does then everyone's against it. If I was running the state then I'd have a public vote on everything that's being proposed.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:38 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I'm all for it.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:44 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,976,191 times
Quote:
Voters do not get to enact laws in Connecticut as they do in some other states. It is up to the legislature here.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Voters do not get to enact laws in Connecticut as they do in some other states. It is up to the legislature here.
But when I voted I have seen special amendments.

Usually they have really confusing language and I have to read beforehand what yes or no means. Can't they have a Marijuana amendment or are these different?

Old 08-16-2015, 07:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Medical marijuana use is already legal in Connecticut. There are dispensaries in the state, and prescriptions for it are honored there. Connecticut decriminalized possession of small quantities of marijuana in 2011. You can't get arrested for possession of a joint. However - you can still get arrested if you are stoned enough to cause an accident, or drive erratically - that would still fall under the "driving under the influence" laws, similarly to any other drug, legal or not legal (alcohol, legally-prescribed prescription narcotic painkillers, etc. etc. etc.)

Old 08-17-2015, 07:18 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
I'm not sure if liberal politics has anything to do with a reluctance to legalize pot in this state. The way Malloy and his entourage are running this state you would think they're on dope right now. The problem with this administration is that Malloy still has it stuck in his mind that CT is a contender when it comes to attracting businesses, like companies should feel lucky to do business here, and he's wrong. He also thinks that if he keeps shaking that snow globe of his that enough flakes will fall and he'll have the $ to close the budget gap. It isn't happening. That aside, IMO the reason you're unlikely to see marijuana legalized anytime soon is for the same reason it took CT so long approve buying booze on Sunday: Puritanism. For whatever assinine reason, this state loves clinging to its puritan, New England roots and IMO this is a social domino that needs to fall, and the sooner the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut