Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:11 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure I agree with you including rail in with this. We have a new fleet of trains and a couple of new train stations with a lot more parking. There is a good chance a couple of more stations will be added. Working on replacing the catenary lines is complete and the train service is among the most reliable in the country.
How is Metro North closest train to me is Naugy I love to take it to znew Haven or Bridgeport, but it always seems down for repairs have to take a bus. Curious how reliable it is during the winter for those day's like to avoid the road or a soggy spring/fall day. I normally drive to New Haven take the train to NY transfer at Bridgeport with minimal issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 12:17 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
How is Metro North closest train to me is Naugy I love to take it to znew Haven or Bridgeport, but it always seems down for repairs have to take a bus. Curious how reliable it is during the winter for those day's like to avoid the road or a soggy spring/fall day. I normally drive to New Haven take the train to NY transfer at Bridgeport with minimal issue.
Why would you drive from Naugatuck to New Haven to take the train to NYC?

Also, it's a direct train. There's no transfer in Bridgeport.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Why would you drive from Naugatuck to New Haven to take the train to NYC?

Also, it's a direct train. There's no transfer in Bridgeport.
Past few months the train has been under repair. They have a bus to New Haven, but last two times taken train out of New Haven and transfer at Bridgeport. Or maybe did take Naugy transfer at Bridgeport um. Anyways yeah it's a bus to New Haven I think at the moment then a transfer ay Bridgeport something like that.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Past few months the train has been under repair. They have a bus to New Haven, but last two times taken train out of New Haven and transfer at Bridgeport. Or maybe did take Naugy transfer at Bridgeport um. Anyways yeah it's a bus to New Haven I think at the moment then a transfer ay Bridgeport something like that.
Huh??? Are you saying that to go from Naugatuck to New York, you drive to New Haven and catch the train? You should just be driving to Bridgeport and catch the train there. It is a shorter drive down Route 8 to Bridgeport and Bridgeport station is closer to New York than New Haven so you will have a much shorter trip overall.

The buses that are offered to replace down train service between Waterbury and Bridgeport take you to Bridgeport. Not sure what you are saying or asking otherwise. Jay

Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 PM

^^^^ Oh cool for some reason thought they drop you off at New Haven take another bus to Bridgeport then catch the train to the city. That be one wild ride.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
One of the reasons I moved out of Fairfield County and I have NO regrets!
This morning I cruised at 75 mph along I-270 the entire length and loved it. I gained about 50 - 100 hours of personal time per year, with my new commute compared to my I-95 commute.
This is only because you currently have a reverse commute to an outer suburb. You could have easily had a much easier commute if you had got an apartment in a quiet section of Stamford like people here recommended thus avoiding your commuting problems here. What are you going to do when your new company moves closer to the city like you recently mentioned on the Ohio forum? Jay

Old 08-26-2015, 04:26 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Most people in the Greater Bridgeport/New Haven/Valley area have to commute to Stamford for livable salary wages. Is it possible to move down some of the jobs to Bridgeport/New Haven area to ease traffic on I-95.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:09 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Most people in the Greater Bridgeport/New Haven/Valley area have to commute to Stamford for livable salary wages. Is it possible to move down some of the jobs to Bridgeport/New Haven area to ease traffic on I-95.
Your right, never gonna happen though.
It's only going to get worse as the years go on, this summer did not see the usual reprieve.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:48 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
Reading these threads makes me soooooo thankful that I have just an 8 mile commute into Hartford from Glastonbury!!!!

Old 08-27-2015, 06:10 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
As long as there are people, there will be traffic. Pure and simple. Doesn't matter how much you widen the highways or whatever else you do. Unless people are willing (or able) to carpool or have greater access to public transit (and they embrace it), nothing will change. For as long as there have been cars, there's been traffic. Early photos of some of the first cars riding on Manhattan's Lower East Side confirm this. Of course it doesn't help that lower I-95 is a corridor into the nation's biggest, most heavily-traveled city, but even if it weren't, there would still be congestion, just to a lesser degree. It's everywhere.
This right here. My treatment for the problem (there's no solution, I believe, however there are possible treatments):

Add southbound tolls at the NYC border that are open only during the morning and afternoon rush period, with an exempt truck lane.

Why? Because MOST of the traffic on I-95 that causes MOST of the congestion is from vehicles owned by people who either live in CT and work in NY, or work in CT and live in NY. In both cases, these people are not paying any more for the deterioration of the road than anyone else - yet they are the ones causing it.

Improve rideshare programs statewide, and those extra toll charges will be added incentive for people to rideshare instead of each taking his own car every day.

You could even make rideshare vehicles exempt from the toll. "This lane: Trucks and Rideshare only" "All other lanes $5 - no express pass"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut