Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:10 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,090,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
There is a lot of rug sweeping, don't kid yourself, I saw it firsthand way more often than I was at Fairfield High back in my day. I only bring it up because some of the stories were incredibly heart wrenching and affected me emotionally. Fairfield has a much more "live and let live" Yankee ideal that permeates through the town even considering there are far more and far richer people here. Fairfield is far less transient than Wilton is, with generations of families in town. While this has its' own disadvantages it does cut back on affluenza a good bit, we've seen it all and it doesn't impress many here.
This is one of the most stereotypical garbage posts I've reading a while...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 07:05 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,174,136 times
Quote:
I'll respectfully disagree. I do think the formal education is great at Wilton High, the less than formal education seems abysmal frankly. I know too many that went there (and other "prestigious" high schools) that are still on their parents payroll, almost ten years on. And frankly, that's not the exception and off hand I can only think of a few that are providing for themselves out of many, many people. I think most will do alright to well in the end though.

There is a lot of rug sweeping, don't kid yourself, I saw it firsthand way more often than I was at Fairfield High back in my day. I only bring it up because some of the stories were incredibly heart wrenching and affected me emotionally. Fairfield has a much more "live and let live" Yankee ideal that permeates through the town even considering there are far more and far richer people here. Fairfield is far less transient than Wilton is, with generations of families in town. While this has its' own disadvantages it does cut back on affluenza a good bit, we've seen it all and it doesn't impress many here.

I think childhood independence is incredibly important. It's how fond memories are formed. I do understand that it doesn't suit every type of kid. Really, I just think that the rat race of "good schools for a good college for a good job" track is just... miserable and has a low point of diminishing returns. It's a lot of stress for the kids and for what? So they can only do a little better than me even if I paid my way through Uni, my own car, and my own fun?

But every kid is different and some really do well and enjoy isolation and high standards. Most kids just wanna play with other kids on their own terms though.
Well written, but riddled with anecdotes and myopia. How many years are you out of school now Beeker? I find it hard to believe that you keep in touch with a significant number of families from a town 15-20 miles away. Statistically speaking, Fairfield has a much higher percentage (per capita) of 21-30 year olds which would lend itself to Fairfield having more former students on their parent's dime. But I would agree with your characterization that both schools will produce students that will do well in the end.

The rug sweeping is your internalization and again the facts don't back up that Fairfield has more multi-generation families in town. Fairfield has much higher turnover of housing stock and velocity of residents (again adjusted per capita). The affluenza comment is just weird, wealth in Wilton is subdued. Much of our housing stock is barely visible from the street (or at least obstructed) and there are few teardowns. Fairfield is the epicenter of teardowns with FFC. Fairfield is much more showy when it comes to wealth. I also fell out of my chair with respect to your wealth perspective. 34% of Wilton families earn over $250,000 which is roughly 3x that of Fairfield. I think the math works out that even on an absolute (non-per capita) basis, Wilton edges Fairfield.

You're also off base on the independence point. Both towns have equally walkable neighborhoods (lots of dead ends and cul de sacs in Wilton) and the Wilton roads have much lower car volumes. I also think friendship is equally important and kids will forge longer bonds in a town with one school at each level and longer duration residents. Thanks though.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:26 AM

4,464 posts, read 3,360,507 times
Quote:
Fairfield has a much more "live and let live" Yankee ideal that permeates through the town even considering there are far more and far richer people here.
I would check this very site before you make a statement like the one above.
Wilton HH Income: $177,918
Fairfield HH Income: $105,059

Here is irony for you. Trumbull is always referred to as a "working class" town in Fairfield County but even we have a slightly higher income than Fairfield.
Trumbull HH Income: $108,591

And this is for the OP. A much higher town HH income always means the school system is better. Wilton schools have to be superior to towns like Fairfield and Trumbull in every way.

I had no idea that Wilton had such wealth but here is something from my youth. I was on the track team and all track meets during winter were in Wilton because they had this beautiful indoor track/arena and we would always say "wow, they must be rich here to have an indoor track like this".

Old 08-21-2015, 07:03 PM

519 posts, read 583,243 times
As Per Listingbook, top ten houses in Fairfield and Wilton for sale:

WILTON
$19,988,000

FAIRFIELD

Finally, there are 38 homes above $2,950,000 for sale in Fairfield (Wilton's high after top outlier).

Perhaps this puts some perspective on wealth in Fairfield vs. Wilton.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
As Per Listingbook, top ten houses in Fairfield and Wilton for sale:

WILTON
$19,988,000

FAIRFIELD

Finally, there are 38 homes above $2,950,000 for sale in Fairfield (Wilton's high after top outlier).

Perhaps this puts some perspective on wealth in Fairfield vs. Wilton.
Not at all. Wealth isn't measured by home prices. Throwing out the tails is also common practice (or use median/per capita). The fact that there are more 250,000+ wage earners in Wilton on a nominal basis despite less than 1/3 of Fairfield's population is game, set and match.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 PM

174 posts, read 124,629 times
It's personal preference. They both have first rate school systems and plenty of activities. Fairfield is more my style. It's a bit livelier, more diverse, and lots to do. Wilton is a little too isolated for my taste.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Not much sweeping under the rug, with less ostentatious wealth than most other Gold Coast coast towns we have more down to earth folks. There really isn't a lot of crime in town or behavioral issues in school. Fairfield has a crime rate nearly 4x higher than Wilton. Our students push themselves harder both academically and athletically and despite not being able to walk around town as safely are likely more prepared for the world from higher academic rigor and the benefits of competitive sports. The pedigree of this years graduating HS class is in line with Westport in terms of collegial selection and well above Fairfield despite a larger student base.
You do realize Fairfield runs along 95 which invites more petty crime and car crime, correct? It's also next to a major city. As for the better "pedigree", well thanks for confirming that some people just need to be competitive over the narrowest of things (nothing like watching one wealthy school system insist they're better than another wealthy school system). How do you know every kid at Wilton pushes themselves harder than kids in Fairfield, btw?

Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhead1977 View Post
You do realize Fairfield runs along 95 which invites more petty crime and car crime, correct? It's also next to a major city. As for the better "pedigree", well thanks for confirming that some people just need to be competitive over the narrowest of things (nothing like watching one wealthy school system insist they're better than another wealthy school system). How do you know every kid at Wilton pushes themselves harder than kids in Fairfield, btw?
If you want to see petty, you should scroll to the first few posts. Sorry that competition gets you stressed out.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Well written, but riddled with anecdotes and myopia. How many years are you out of school now Beeker? I find it hard to believe that you keep in touch with a significant number of families from a town 15-20 miles away. Statistically speaking, Fairfield has a much higher percentage (per capita) of 21-30 year olds which would lend itself to Fairfield having more former students on their parent's dime. But I would agree with your characterization that both schools will produce students that will do well in the end.

The rug sweeping is your internalization and again the facts don't back up that Fairfield has more multi-generation families in town. Fairfield has much higher turnover of housing stock and velocity of residents (again adjusted per capita). The affluenza comment is just weird, wealth in Wilton is subdued. Much of our housing stock is barely visible from the street (or at least obstructed) and there are few teardowns. Fairfield is the epicenter of teardowns with FFC. Fairfield is much more showy when it comes to wealth. I also fell out of my chair with respect to your wealth perspective. 34% of Wilton families earn over $250,000 which is roughly 3x that of Fairfield. I think the math works out that even on an absolute (non-per capita) basis, Wilton edges Fairfield.

You're also off base on the independence point. Both towns have equally walkable neighborhoods (lots of dead ends and cul de sacs in Wilton) and the Wilton roads have much lower car volumes. I also think friendship is equally important and kids will forge longer bonds in a town with one school at each level and longer duration residents. Thanks though.
Again that's preference. Fairfield is way too big to house the kids in one high school. They tried it once and went back quite quickly to two. Having lived in an area of two-high school towns all my life, I could tell you that plenty of friendships still happen between students at each school. Most of those kids do sports or other activities together outside of school and many were in elementary of middle school together. It's actually kind of cool having two high schools. You constantly meet new people in town but don't have to see the same ones every day. Now that can be a drag.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:41 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:

I am not sure I agree with much of what Beeker claims either but one reason Fairfield has a higher percentage of 21 to 30 year olds is that the town has a lot of rentals, many of which are reasonably affordable. Wilton does not have many apartments and of the ones the town has few are affordable. Also I recently saw a listing of where graduates from Warde from a number of years back live and it was something like 60 percent lived in town. Number 2 was Trumbull. I can't say I know many kids in town that live with their parents. A number of them have bought their childhood homes from parents though. As for tear downs there are a good number but it is no where near what you see in Westport.

Finally I do have to say that Fairfield is much more walkable than Wilton. The term walkable means that there are sidewalks and places for people to reasonably walk to (stores, restaurants, parks, etc.). Not only does Fairfield have the center and Black Rock Turnpike, there are many small neighborhood centers like Stratfield, Southport, Stratfield and Brooklawn. Route 1 is lined with stores and restaurants. Heck even ruralish Greenfield Hill has a small group of shops. In addition there are four town owned beaches, Lake Mohegan, a number of parks and schools with playgrounds and three great libraries for people to walk or bike to. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut