Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 03:37 AM

518 posts, read 743,277 times

Advertisements

The issue is finding out with the tax looking at the h13 form that the CT DMV has it says this which has me confused..

"SALES TAX PAID IN ANOTHER STATE - In order to obtain credit for sales/use tax paid to another jurisdiction, you must present proof of payment in
the form of an official receipt or dealer's invoice."

I'm trying to figure out what my cost is going to be to register the car in CT the price is $11,995 so does this mean I'm going to be paying $761.68 at the DMV in addition to the $130 or whatever for registration?

btw the car is at a NY dealership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 07:23 AM

From what I think I saw right the sales tax in NYC is 8.875% so if I have proof then CT will give me a credit on that so all that's left is doing the registration.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:09 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
The issue is finding out with the tax looking at the h13 form that the CT DMV has it says this which has me confused..

"SALES TAX PAID IN ANOTHER STATE - In order to obtain credit for sales/use tax paid to another jurisdiction, you must present proof of payment in

I'm trying to figure out what my cost is going to be to register the car in CT the price is $11,995 so does this mean I'm going to be paying $761.68 at the DMV in addition to the $130 or whatever for registration?

When I bought at a NY dealership, they handled everything. The only thing I had to do is bring the car over to Motor Vehicle for a VIN check. Ask the dealer. Jay

Old 08-20-2015, 08:29 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,828,917 times
Quote:

I would be very hesitant to pay sales tax to another state if the car will be registered in CT. IF this is a dealer sale they should be able to issue you an "in-transit" temp plate from NY state. That way you can drive the car to CT.

If the car is used you will need a VIN # check at a CT DMV. However, I think "in-trasit" plates are not allowed to be used to drive the car to the CT DMV for the VIN # check. I think the process would be to get a temp tag from CT (you will have to pay sales tax at this time) then drive the car to the DMV with that temp tag for the VIN # check.

I was in NY last weekend and actually saw a NY state "in-transit" temp tag issued from a NY dealer. So I know NY does this. A true temp tag would actually be better, but I don't think NY issues them for some reason (altho CT does issue them)

Another issue I see is if you over pay sales tax in NY state how will you get refunded the difference if at all? If NY state is 8% and CT is 6.35% you have over paid. CT will not give you credit for 8% paid to NY you will only get credit at the CT rate of 6.35%.

To summarize:

Get NY "in-transit" temp plate from NY dealer. (DO NOT PAY SALES TAX TO THE NY DEALER)
Drive car back to CT and go to the CT DMV for temp plates (pay sales tax at this time to CT)
Drive the car to CT DMV for the VIN # check with the CT temp plate you got earlier.
When the check is complete you can go get your metal CT plates.

P.S. CT temp plates are only good for 20 days, so don't procrastinate on the VIN check in case something comes up.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:57 AM

So I just ask for the in transit plate? So wait the sales tax is based on the price the car is sold for right? So I'm looking at like $794 plus the registration fee?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 AM

Actually now that I think back on this, the dealer we bought from had dealerships in Connecticut so while the car we bought was sitting in New York at the time, it was sold through the dealers Connecticut store. We only paid Connecticut State sales tax on the purchase. Still the dealer should know how to handle this. Jay

Old 08-20-2015, 09:39 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,828,917 times
Quote:
So I just ask for the in transit plate? So wait the sales tax is based on the price the car is sold for right? So I'm looking at like $794 plus the registration fee?
Yes the sales tax is based on the sale price of the car. The dealer will give you a bill of sale.

Jay brings up a good point. If the dealer also has a dealership in CT maybe they can process the sale thru that location instead. That would simplify things a bit.

The one thing I would be most concerned about is paying sales tax to another state. Despite what a dealer might tell you, if you live in CT, you do not have to pay NY sales tax on the purchase to NY. You will pay once you register in CT.

If you never register the car in CT you will never pay the sales tax. While that doesn't make sense with a car that you actually want to drive, it is a popular sales tax avoidance tactic with dirt bikes and ATV's.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:55 AM

The dealer has no dealer in CT so I'm on my way now to them so I will need to see what going on

Old 08-20-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The dealer has no dealer in CT so I'm on my way now to them so I will need to see what going on
Even then they likely have dealt with this before. Just ask them to explain. Jay

Old 08-20-2015, 12:50 PM

They are going to do in trainsit plates trying to get everything done today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: