Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 06:27 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newerabuzz View Post
I do not want to hear your opinions of global warming- I want to see actual data from NASA GISS or the National Academy of Sciences that refutes anything I have said here.
If you want me to join the drone-crowd and get into the weeds, go ask somebody else. There'll be plenty of mindless wasted individuals, who are looking to join a "cause."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 06:36 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Speaking of Winters.. Not just Bridgeport recently.. Northern Hemisphere snow is increasing since Mid 1960s.

Only 3 of last 12 years has been below normal.
1981 was extremely snowless for Northern Hem. 2010 was 2nd most.

North America as well.

Rutgers University Climate Lab :: Global Snow Lab

Old 11-22-2015, 06:37 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newerabuzz View Post
I do not want to hear your opinions of global warming- I want to see actual data from NASA GISS or the National Academy of Sciences that refutes anything I have said here.
Didn't Cambium just tell you that NOAA manipulated, cleansed some data? You think NOAA, NASA, etc. do not coordinate?

So you're asking Cambium et. al. to still give data while they erased the data? WTF..

Old 11-22-2015, 09:20 AM

304 posts, read 397,104 times
still looking for official data and evidence from NASA GISS

not 'political mumbo jumbo' from sources that are not science peer approved.'

On the heels of the news from NASA that October’s global temperature this year spiked more than any other month in 135 years, virtually assuring that 2015 will be the warmest year on record, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced Wednesday that their data showed similarly remarkable numbers.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/u...ampaign=buffer

Old 11-22-2015, 12:14 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Like I told you, you have two sides on a "mortal" combat about athropogenic Global Warming. Plus Climate Science is a very complicated subject, heavily politicized, and ideological for many.

What stinks to high heaven is the "community" word you use -- you think "consensus" is good. I think "consensus" is the true anti-science.

Of course climate is changing. The only constant in universe is change itself.
And that's the whole point, the science is real and it is something we should at least think about, but it's become something that is an "either/or" extreme, either it is a complete myth, which it is not, or the sky is falling tomorrow, which isn't true at all either. Why can't we recognize that evidence is there, it's something that long-term isn't a good thing, but we can calmly and reasonably work on it without feeling the only solution is to revert to being cavemen..

From what I've seen, daytime temperatures have not budged (they may have even fallen a bit overall from data I've seen), but it is extremely clear that nighttime lows are up across the board everywhere. This is what I personally think it really going on and it would make more sense (a "greenhouse effect" keeps heat from escaping, so it would make more sense that it lessens things like radiational cooling, etc.). This is a serious concern but not in the same way then if temperatures across the board are going up rapidly.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:09 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please return to the topic of the OP which is the winter in Connecticut. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-22-2015, 09:29 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Newera: Let's put down the Kool Aid. I've read the claims from NASA that October was the warmest October on record and also had the largest deviation from normal. However, if you lift up the hood you will quickly ascertain the critical flaws in methodology (peer reviewed or otherwise). The NASA claim is predicated on surface temperatures over land, yet the corresponding map reveals that NOAA had no temperature data for about half the land surface. This includes large swaths of land in Greenland, Antarctica and Africa.

While you may find comfort that this data originates from "science", I can assure you that this level of incompleteness would have you fired in the engineering or financial fields. Satellite data (also from NOAA) is far more reliable in that it covers the entire planet several times daily reveal that October 2015 was ranked 25th warmest relative to monthly averages. A bit of a discrepancy, no?

We had a warm start to the late fall and early winter last year before we plunged to the coldest levels in nearly four decades. My sense is we will likely repeat and snow will be above average.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:22 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Controversial Study Finds Antarctica Is Actually Gaining Ice

Old 11-23-2015, 07:06 AM

10,095 posts, read 14,965,663 times
I love this part:

"How's that possible? Live Science reports the gains—approximately 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008—come from snow accumulating faster in parts of Antarctica than ice sheets are collapsing and glaciers thinning out elsewhere. Basically, warmer temperatures mean more moisture in the air, which leads to precipitation."

The reason I'm happy is because that means that desertification is not real and with increasing moisture deserts will shrink! Woohoo!

Old 11-23-2015, 07:12 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
NOAA had no temperature data for about half the land surface.
Excellent Post W2PA, sooo nice to see other people have the energy to smack reality into all this. Look at those Gray "missing data" areas. Crazy. Not to mention the Pacific being on fire is contributing. I really do miss talking about weather & climate without you know what coming up.

To get back on Topic .. Fun stat..

Hartford Max temp for Winter

72° in 2006-07
62° last year
56° in 2003-04

Wonder what this year will be

Hartford Lowest temp:

2015: -9°
2014: -9°
2013: -4°
2012: 4°
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut