Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 11:10 AM

50 posts, read 129,752 times

Advertisements

Not uncommon at all for a warm NE winter to be followed by a cold/ snowy NE winter. 16 - 17 winter should be cold and snowy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 11:14 AM

9,869 posts, read 7,616,232 times
Thought last year was rough reminded me of the Mid Atlantic winters with 2 ice storms, 1 20 inch snow storm, and a few 5 inchers.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:18 PM

21,593 posts, read 27,851,122 times
I'll take frequent snow over lasting cold snaps. Could use some good local skiing after the failure of last year's season.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:41 PM

83,355 posts, read 74,779,265 times
Amount of snow it takes to close schools

I'll say temps, timing, and rate of fall matter as well. Not just about amount.

https://twitter.com/mark_tarello/sta...27096157270016

Old 11-01-2016, 08:15 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,735,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Amount of snow it takes to close schools

I'll say temps, timing, and rate of fall matter as well. Not just about amount.

https://twitter.com/mark_tarello/sta...27096157270016
That map is more like 30 yrs ago. With the weak and ****iffied society we live in now compared to just a generation ago, I bet it's half those numbers.......if that.

Ambulance chasing attorneys have done more damage to our society than Al Queda or ISIS could ever hope to do. Makes my blood boil..........

Old 11-01-2016, 09:28 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,098,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
That map is more like 30 yrs ago. With the weak and ****iffied society we live in now compared to just a generation ago, I bet it's half those numbers.......if that.

Ambulance chasing attorneys have done more damage to our society than Al Queda or ISIS could ever hope to do. Makes my blood boil..........
I mean 24 inches plus for the Great Lakes? huh? As I have family there it takes lot less than that. A lot more than us for sure though.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:17 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,071,515 times
Quote:

I'm sure you are right. I went to school in the "lake effect" area south and east of Lake Erie. In my 12 years of public school, i had one half of one day off for weather, and that was ice, not snow. Snow in any quantity never slowed things down much; the road crews were incredibly efficient and the schools were always open for business.

But that was a long time ago ...

Old 11-02-2016, 01:32 AM

837 posts, read 1,220,153 times
I'm praying it's a mild winter.

I'm nearing the age now where I realize why people go to FL in the winter, LOL.

Maybe somebody can answer this...up here in the Boston area we get whacked a lot because we happen to be on the backside of every storm (nor'easter or otherwise) that passes through. Is it the same down there in the Stamford/Norwalk area or are you protected from that by LI?

Old 11-02-2016, 04:18 AM

11,257 posts, read 18,775,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I'm sure you are right. I went to school in the "lake effect" area south and east of Lake Erie. In my 12 years of public school, i had one half of one day off for weather, and that was ice, not snow. Snow in any quantity never slowed things down much; the road crews were incredibly efficient and the schools were always open for business.

But that was a long time ago ...
Up there they are more likely to close for COLD (any day where wind chill is -25 or less) than snow. I based this on my sister who lives up there.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:31 AM

83,355 posts, read 74,779,265 times
Quote:

lol. But I don't get it. You'll accept the risk of injuring children and having more accidents around by keeping schools open? If that's the case then we should start mandating chains as other states do, then we wont have to close, right?

With the way some people drive we should be shutting everything down with 1" of snow. lol

And they use Ski's & snowmobiles around the Great Lakes to get around so they can have 1-2 feet of it.

But again, I stress the importance of timing of the snowfall, temps outside, and how hard its falling.

I seen in CT 6" of snow while in the upper 30s melts on roads so no big deal, and I've seen 1-2" of snow while in the teens outside create a mess because salt isn't effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut