Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:39 PM

34,756 posts, read 56,576,349 times

Advertisements

According to the study discussed in this article, Hartford can support a major league sports team. They talk about bringing hockey back to the XL Center as a possibility. What do you think? Can it happen? Jay

Data says Hartford a pro sports city, but reality says different | HartfordBusiness.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 PM

4,714 posts, read 5,931,237 times
I did not read the article, but I think part of the problem is that too many people in Connecticut have ties to either a Boston team or a NY team, so that eats away at your potential audience. Baseball won't work because of decades of Yankee and Red Sox fandom. NBA won't work because of the Celtics and Knicks, not to mention UConn fandom. Hockey has Rangers, Islanders and Bruins. NFL is probably too big, plus you have the Pats, Jets and Giants.

I could see major league soccer working here, but pro soccer isn't quite at the same level, even though ratings from the last world cup beat out the World Series when the US played. The Cup is a big event

Old 08-24-2015, 12:55 PM

720 posts, read 914,214 times
MLS team. Best Bet.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,616,232 times
Probably MLS team like the New England Revolution from Gillette Stadium.

Think baseball has a strong presence with three minor league team's in the state alone. Not sure what is nearby for minor league team's in states close by. In addition to, have the Mets, Yankees, and Red Soxs in the area.

Then we have the FHL Whalers, AHL teams of Wolfpack, Falcons, Bruins, and Sound Tigers. Also have Teikyo Post adding hockey to their sport's lineup. Have UCONN Hockey and WestConn Hockey. Plus have a team in MA, a team in New Jersey, and think 3 teams in NY.

For football we have UCONN football and a few college football teams. Also we have five NFL team's near by. We could do an indoor football team.

I mean we could include a basketball team. We have UCONN basketball and some decent college basketball team's in the state. We already have a WNBA team or a developmental NBA team. I mean could add an NBA team. Only one's I know are in Boston, NYC, and Brooklyn.

I think something Hartford should look into is USA Track meets be a great draw for the city. The Armory in New York city host a huge one, but CT is a legend for it's running roots. Definitely a track meet be awesome!

Last edited by RunD1987; 08-24-2015 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,388,053 times
no, people jumped on board the whalers band wagon after the team was gone, they didnt get the support they needed when they were in Hartford unfortunately.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:23 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,388,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Probably MLS team like the Outlaws from Gillette Stadium.

Think baseball has a strong presence with three minor league team's in the state alone. Not sure what is nearby for minor league team's in states close by. In addition to, have the Mets, Yankees, and Red Soxs in the area.

Then we have the FHL Whalers, AHL teams of Wolfpack, Falcons, Bruins, and Soundtigers. Also have Teikyo Post adding hockey to their sport's lineup. Have UCONN Hockey and WestConn Hockey. Plus have a team in MA, a team in Jersey, and think 3 teams in NY.

For football we have UCONN football and a few college football teams. Also we have five NFL team's near by. We could do an indoor football team.

I mean we could include a basketball team. We have UCONN basketball and some decent college basketball team's in the state. We already have a WNBA team or a developmental NBA team. I mean could add an NBA team. Only one's I know are in Boston, NYC, and Brooklyn.

I think something Hartford should look into is USA Track meets be a great draw for the city. The Armory in the city host one, but CT is a legend for it's running roots. Definitely a track meet be awesome!
i laughed

Old 08-24-2015, 02:26 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,155,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Baseball won't work because of decades of Yankee and Red Sox fandom.
Sighhh everyone forgets the Mets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I could see major league soccer working here, but pro soccer isn't quite at the same level, even though ratings from the last world cup beat out the World Series when the US played. The Cup is a big event
MLS is the lowest hanging fruit, as MLS is currently looking for expansion opportunities and possibly a relocation or two in each conference. NASL is also a contender but is hampered from becoming the top tier league in the US and Canada.

I'm trying to find the old files that laid out the market data for each of the major leagues which were really interesting The articles said something to the affect like "NHL and NBA teams are more local markets, MLB/MLS/NFL are more regional markets," and that a few years ago both the NBA and MLB were looking at various second tier markets that could be used as relocation markets for fledgling teams (I assume to preclear certain markets to use as leverage against municipalities that didn't want to pony up for stadium improvements). MLB was allegedly particularly interested in Fairfield County and Hartford for the Rays, but there are the teams that would throw a conniption. IIRC NBA quietly killed the study into CT because it was clear they wouldn't be able to get the corporate sponsor level they even did in OKC.

I think it would take a few years but if the teams made an effort to become "CT" teams and not just a "Hartford" team they'd have a better chance at developing a decent fan-base.

That said, if the teams were more self-sustaining and there wasn't such race to the bottom packages to entice them I'd say it's worth looking into... but the current state of the industry might be better for our cities to wait til Big Sport deflates a bit and they have to start looking at profitability again.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:32 PM

402 posts, read 683,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
According to the study discussed in this article, Hartford can support a major league sports team. They talk about bringing hockey back to the XL Center as a possibility. What do you think? Can it happen? Jay

Data says Hartford a pro sports city, but reality says different | HartfordBusiness.com
Nope, never will happen. Ct is surrounded by powerhouse teams that command loyalty. Soccer? not worth the effort IMO

Old 08-24-2015, 02:38 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,155,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
Nope, never will happen. Ct is surrounded by powerhouse teams that command loyalty. Soccer? not worth the effort IMO
Then the NBA would be a perfect fit! I don't think Knicks or Nets command anything that resembles dribbling, let alone loyalty

Old 08-24-2015, 02:39 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,616,232 times
Soccer is huge New England Revolution 1996 ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut