Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 02:28 PM

684 posts, read 811,890 times

Advertisements

CT is a sleepy state, lots of old money and older folks. The younger generation doesnt want to hang out in the ghetto , and the suburbs are dead so younger crowd doesnt have much. Thats what i have been noticing a lot lately about CT, if your in a city , its a dump or if your on the outskirts your in the sticks. There is really no in between i guess you can say, there might be but not much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 05:39 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I worked in downtown Hartford from the late 80s to the mid 90s. During the week, it was always busy at lunchtime with the Civic Center Mall and G Fox drawing crowds, and a lot of nice retail on the just re-done Pratt Street. Several of the young women I worked with at Aetna also worked part time at the Ann Taylor in the Civic Center Mall so they could get the employee discount.

However, when I returned in 2003 for another job, it was a lot different - not nearly as busy, and the nicer retail shops on Pratt Street were already being replaced by lower end retail. It was still busy at lunchtime, but not like nearly like before.
G Fox and Sage Allen was HUGE. There have been many blows to downtown which attract less and less people. The 1980's was when downtown had its highest workforce and the Whalers were in town. So of course downtown was busier. It has however gotten better over the past 5 years. I've seen some improvement in the amount of the traffic downtown has gotten since 2003. UCONN is coming into Hartford which is bringing the young crowd. You can't beat that.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
CT is a sleepy state, lots of old money and older folks. The younger generation doesnt want to hang out in the ghetto , and the suburbs are dead so younger crowd doesnt have much. Thats what i have been noticing a lot lately about CT, if your in a city , its a dump or if your on the outskirts your in the sticks. There is really no in between i guess you can say, there might be but not much of it.
Downtown's are starting to lure young people. Downtown Hartford, New Haven, and Stamford are by the drozes. In the outer neighborhoods, definitely; because it doesn't offer much. The younger crowds want communities with good schools so most of them pick suburbs. I feel like lots young couples move in Downtown Hartford or Downtown New Haven only to leave when they get older to have children. A few couples I know have done that. Can't speak for the others.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:08 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Does Hartford have an open market like Quincy Market in Boston?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:07 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
G Fox and Sage Allen was HUGE. There have been many blows to downtown which attract less and less people. The 1980's was when downtown had its highest workforce and the Whalers were in town. So of course downtown was busier. It has however gotten better over the past 5 years. I've seen some improvement in the amount of the traffic downtown has gotten since 2003. UCONN is coming into Hartford which is bringing the young crowd. You can't beat that.
My mom used to go to a place called Luettgin's all the time (not sure on the spelling), but it was a store like a G Fox or Sage Allen. I used to joke with her that she was like Norm from Cheers there - everybody knew her name.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:06 PM

20 posts, read 16,399 times
I think Hartford have a good potential especially with Uconn campus moving into Hartford. Lets not forget that more apartments is being added to downtown.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:57 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Heard they want to reinvent/make changes to DoNo area. Not sure location wise where DoNo goes. However, heard they are revamping the Civic Center, the building of DD Stadium/UCONN Campus. Think it be nice if they made a section with apartments and walkable streets closed with restaurants\shops. Heard there is a park in that area. Not sure how close to the hospital's up that way though.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:56 PM

402 posts, read 686,182 times
Hartford is pretty awful. I used to hate going there for work.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:56 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I've lived in Hartford for over 35 years and it's had better days. It's nothing what it used to be. Much of the activity or foot traffic you're trying to find is in the suburbs. Only concerts and sporting events attract outsiders. It's been like that as far as I can remember. If the highways didn't plow into Hartford then the city would be much different. These highways divide neighborhoods and creates barriers. Interstate 91 destroyed our chance for a great waterfront. Hartford will only get better if we elect the right people. Many residents in Hartford don't care who gets elected, as long as keep their services and welfare programs then they're happy. Hartford is very immigrant friendly city because we hand out welfare like it's in a cereal box. That's why we're losing so much money...People's are less motivated to work because they rely on the government.
Because of course good jobs grown on trees.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Heard they want to reinvent/make changes to DoNo area. Not sure location wise where DoNo goes. However, heard they are revamping the Civic Center, the building of DD Stadium/UCONN Campus. Think it be nice if they made a section with apartments and walkable streets closed with restaurants\shops. Heard there is a park in that area. Not sure how close to the hospital's up that way though.
They're building a baseball stadium right now in DoNo. Apartments, a grocery store, parking garages, and retail space are part of the plan as well but nothing has been approved yet. As for the XL Center it got a 35 million dollar renovation to get additional life out of it. The CRDA (Capital Region Development Authority) is looking to either tear down the existing arena and rebuild it or do a 250 million dollar full on renovation. This project won't start until a few years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut