Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 02:44 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Ganim is saying that he will finally do something with the long abandoned Lowes Poli/Majestic Theaters on Main Street. The fact that these stunning theaters are still standing is a miracle. It would be great if they could be brought back like the Palace was in Waterbury. Of course he had promised this when he was Mayor years ago and nothing was done. Certainly there is a lot of good things happening downtown that could be built upon but this would likely involve a lot of effort and a very imaginative group with deep pockets. The theaters are massive, 3,200 and 2,200 seats. Not sure what could be done with such large buildings. We will see. Jay

Ganim says theaters key to downtown Bridgeport - Connecticut Post
That's a beautiful theater. When did that place get built? This could have huge potential if all goes well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 03:03 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
That's a beautiful theater. When did that place get built? This could have huge potential if all goes well.
I think they go back to the 1920's. They are/were stunning. Jay

Old 10-02-2015, 05:58 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Quote:
I think they go back to the 1920's. They are/were stunning. Jay
It looks like it's been abandoned for years. I'm not too familiar with Bridgeport but what was the reason for this place to go? Did the theater not attract enough people? Parts of Bridgeport remind me of Gary, IN. There are too many historic buildings that are vacant and in disrepair. It's not Bridgeports fault for the way it is. Bridgeport is one of far too many cities in America that lost its crown due to factories closing and job loses.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
It looks like it's been abandoned for years. I'm not too familiar with Bridgeport but what was the reason for this place to go? Did the theater not attract enough people? Parts of Bridgeport remind me of Gary, IN. There are too many historic buildings that are vacant and in disrepair. It's not Bridgeports fault for the way it is. Bridgeport is one of far too many cities in America that lost its crown due to factories closing and job loses.
Like many of the great old movie palaces, these closed due to changing times. They were too big and could no longer compete with suburban multiplexes. I believe these have been closed for decades. And I mean like 4 decades. I cannot remember it being open and I am kind of old. I think the theaters stopped showing movies back in the early 70's. Like I said it is a miracle that they are still standing. Jay

Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
New Haven and Waterbury are using similar theaters for shows. The one in New Haven is fantastic.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Looks like Chipotie has open in Steel Point. Jay

Chipotle opens; serves up Bridgeport jobs - Connecticut Post

Old 11-13-2015, 11:31 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New Haven and Waterbury are using similar theaters for shows. The one in New Haven is fantastic.
Apple Cinema bought out by two brother's haven't been. Said the prices are great they play movie's that might not be in theater's any more really cool. Still.think the theater downtown needs a Palace revival touch. They need to open that closed theater up near the Trumbull line be great if StarPlex bought it out!

Love those old theater's especially ones that serve dinners with the movie or can have tapas before you go in really cool!

Old 11-13-2015, 12:32 PM

505 posts, read 428,530 times
Quote:

It IS part of Bridgeport's fault. While they may not be responsible for the closing of factories they did not adapt to the new environment and became a breeding ground for welfare deadbeats, ghetto bums and illegals.

They continued to raise property taxes on the middle class to absurd levels and let crime get out of control. Too much babysitting/pandering to the loser elements of the city instead of telling them to get lost!

The surrounding towns are built up and most people can simply avoid it.

Also part of the reasons that factories close in the first place is because of the policies of state and local governments. While Bridgeport is not completely at fault it simply does not have the environment that many people want to open a business in.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
It IS part of Bridgeport's fault. While they may not be responsible for the closing of factories they did not adapt to the new environment and became a breeding ground for welfare deadbeats, ghetto bums and illegals.

They continued to raise property taxes on the middle class to absurd levels and let crime get out of control. Too much babysitting/pandering to the loser elements of the city instead of telling them to get lost!

The surrounding towns are built up and most people can simply avoid it.

Also part of the reasons that factories close in the first place is because of the policies of state and local governments. While Bridgeport is not completely at fault it simply does not have the environment that many people want to open a business in.
The loss of manufacturing in Bridgeport is part of a national trend that moved most goods manufacturing overseas to cheaper locations like China, Mexico, etc. Many cities were not able to overcome the loss of these companies but Bridgeport is still a major employment center with more than 42,000 jobs. It may not be the industrial powerhouse it once was but still is a decent amount of workers. Jay

Old 11-13-2015, 02:27 PM

505 posts, read 428,530 times
Quote:
The loss of manufacturing in Bridgeport is part of a national trend that moved most goods manufacturing overseas to cheaper locations like China, Mexico, etc. Many cities were not able to overcome the loss of these companies but Bridgeport is still a major employment center with more than 42,000 jobs. It may not be the industrial powerhouse it once was but still is a decent amount of workers. Jay

That is true and for that they cannot be faulted. But a large part of the population void was filled with people who only bring the city down.

Also manufacturing has been leaving CT for states in the south and West due to cheaper costs in general. State and local governments are partly responsible for this and have to understand this and take ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut