Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 07:58 AM

6,571 posts, read 4,964,901 times

Advertisements

This came across my screen this morning. I'm not going to do the official challenge as I have no interest in taking pictures of myself at signs, but I will do some of these hikes. Except for the one that says the parking lot is closed for the day if it fills up at any time - ain't nobody got time for that!

For those that don't know, we also have a The Connecticut Walk Book, put out by the Forest & Parks Association. Great book with a lot of details in it.

https://ctparks.com/skys-the-limit-hiking-challenge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 10:35 AM

6,878 posts, read 3,729,789 times
How many can you mountain bike at? online is useless
I just made mcmansion mortgage payments for 2 new bikes, getting back into it after so many years

Old 03-30-2024, 11:09 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I just made mcmansion mortgage payments for 2 new bikes, getting back into it after so many years
How far are you willing to go?

Old 03-30-2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Excellent! I am more into biking myself. Feel free to message me, though I don't know the particulars on trails in your area. I'm sure you know the blue blazed trails are technically hiking only. I am betting most of the trails in this challenge are hiking but I did click on a few and saw some mentions of biking and horseback riding.

I think Patchaug and/or Wolf's Den were in the list?

Old 03-30-2024, 01:50 PM

Anywhere. I've already done Cranbury and Mianus nearby, too flat. Will do Mt.Snow in summer.

Old 03-30-2024, 03:00 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Anywhere. I've already done Cranbury and Mianus nearby, too flat. Will do Mt.Snow in summer.
Mt Snow isn’t the best option. There’s very few trails and the good ones are very technical/tricky. If you want to do downhill, there’s 2 better choices.

Powder Ridge in CT is perfect as an intro to downhill.

Thunder in MA might be the best overall downhill biking in the northeast. It is not for the faint of heart. Even some of the blues can be pretty tricky.

Near you, I’d try Trout Brook in Weston. I’ve heard Graham Hills in Westchester is good but haven’t been.

Indian Ledge in Trumbull is good. Not a lot of flow but very technical. Nearby Old Mine is a bit easier and hillier.

Huntington is decent as well.

I really like Rockhouse in Oxford. Lot of variety. Plenty of hills and climbs, particularly on the high school side.

Racebrook in Orange is fun and flowy but mellow. Good practice. It connects to Yale Nature Preserve, which might be my overall favorite trail system in the southwest part of state. Tons of variety and will make you better.

Further north, highly recommend Norbrook. It’s a brewery with lots of trails. They have very very good downhill sections. Everything from easy fast greens, to technical blacks. These are professionally built trails just like the ones at lift served spots.

There’s a lot of other good spots. Rockland in Madison is an excellent and very dense/robust trail system. I’ve heard good things about Case, Pomfret, Nepaug etc but I haven’t been.

Trailforks/Strava helps to find places. Although some of the best, like Yale, aren’t on Trailforks.

Join the CT Mountain Bikers group on FB.

Old 03-30-2024, 03:01 PM

Case Mountain (Manchester/Glastonbury) - can link this up with Gay City for a longer ride

Nathan Hale (Coventry)

Soapstone (Somers I think)

Goodwin State Forest (Hampton)

Cowles (Granby)

Check out Trailforks - you don't have to be a member to look at the map or trail details

Old 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM

I'm not on FB and have no plans to ever be.

Great lists, both, thanks.
I biked Mt. Snow twice in the late 90's. That was with a steel hardtail and cantilever brakes and a 80mm Judy fork. Now with disc brakes, 160-180mm Fox travel, 2.50 Maxxis DHFs and dropper seatposts it must be a walk in the park.

Old 03-30-2024, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not on FB and have no plans to ever be.

Great lists, both, thanks.
I biked Mt. Snow twice in the late 90's. That was with a steel hardtail and cantilever brakes and a 80mm Judy fork. Now with disc brakes, 160-180mm Fox travel, 2.50 Maxxis DHFs and dropper seatposts it must be a walk in the park.

I just saw an ride advertised for Old Furnace in Danielson - it said something like "where miles feel like double". You may want to try that for a challenge

Old 03-30-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I just saw an ride advertised for Old Furnace in Danielson - it said something like "where miles feel like double". You may want to try that for a challenge
Thanks. Way out there but looks great on You Tube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut