Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:16 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Why are you both highlighting and underlining that we have state run ranges? I'm fairly certain every state has one--except maybe the states where you are allowed to shoot on most public land...wherever you want. Even NY has them. Hell, even Long Island has one or two. If the state doesn't want people sighting in 30-30 rifles in their backyard or in Hubbard Park before deer season, then they basically need to have them.

It's also foolish to say that because CT has gun ranges, we are not anti gun. That's actually completely ridiculous to say. Even California has gun ranges. F&^%, even Russia has gun ranges.

Also, direct quote from Michael "I am not going to whine about the all-too-obvious economic reasons for leaving, such as backbreaking taxes, moribund cities and gutted home values — all of which make Connecticut look like the next Detroit. What bothers me more is a matter of character."

Sounds like he's leaving because of much deeper issues than him having to neuter his Glock or bury his AR-15 in the backyard.
I think the point is that Connecticut has not outlawed guns but is trying to just control who has access to them. That is a good point to make. Law biding citizens still are able to buy and use guns in our state. This is a point Mr. Stearn fails to remember in his rant and whine. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I don't know diddly about the politics and wouldn't ever get past the stench and the weather to bother looking into it.
SC was flying the Confederate flag on government property right up to the time the people got shot in the church in Charleston. It was still there days after the shooting until the legislature came to their senses (150 years after the Civil War) to finally removed it.

That should speak volumes about the politics down there.

This lady had courage and took the flag down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tBHeOVXMVE

Old 09-04-2015, 06:39 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think the point is that Connecticut has not outlawed guns but is trying to just control who has access to them. That is a good point to make. Law biding citizens still are able to buy and use guns in our state. This is a point Mr. Stearn fails to remember in his rant and whine. Jay
CT can't outlaw guns. Not even the federal government has such powers. The point is moot. Guns can be purchased in every state in the US. CT used to be pretty reasonable, but with the strike of a pen 3.5 million people were punished because of the actions of a single person. All the ghetto trash in our cities could care less about these laws.

Mr. Stearn decided to live somewhere that doesn't make sweeping "feel good" policies that accomplish nothing. Good for him. Again, based on what was said in the article, I don't think it was a single event that put him over the edge, but a constant devolution to out of control spending, unsustainable taxation, stale real estate, and an economic forecast that doesn't seem to have any sunny days in sight.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 09-04-2015 at 07:07 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 06:49 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Hell, even [enter name of random place] has gun ranges!

I love this guy.

love you too, bro. But my choice of places are far from random. They are the boldest of the gun grabbing states. In case you didn't notice, the post I was responding to tried to use the existence of gun ranges in CT as a barometer of our statewide tolerance for guns. I'm basically calling shenanigans and illustrating the absolute lack of [at least an empirical] correlation between the 2A atmosphere and the existence of places to legally shoot guns.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
This a big country with so many cultures and their believes. But there is some where for everyone.If your miserable and can do it; why waste away where you hate it.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This kid sounds like the run of the mill hispter of Connecticut, I don't take either of the articles seriously.

I think the bigger picture of the article above is the problem CT faces daily. CT has a great public school system and as soon as students graduate a lot leave for other states, as evident from above. CT needs to find a way to open up more opportunities to young people so they can stay in this State. If we keep bleeding the youth we will not grow.

The way I see it, younger people take more risk and creation follow (or leads) risk. It's great that we have insurance jobs and biotech jobs but in reality there really isn't too much innovation happening in the insurance industry; at least enough to the point were it breeds an off shoot industry. They are cushion 9-5 jobs with good pay. CT is stale in the eyes of many, not because it's bad, but because it is viewed as boring.

It's great we have a nice fall, but I don't see too many nerds (meant with all respect) rushing to a place just because we have nice seasons. Example, Seattle...it rains there like 90% of the time yet two companies that shape America (Microsoft and Starbucks) were formed there. CT needs something to attract people. I'm sorry but hiking trails, seasons and good school systems are not what these innovators are looking for.
The Constitution of the United States was formed here. I just can't bring myself to agree that Microsoft and Starbucks are on the same level as that, with regards to "shaping America."

Old 09-04-2015, 08:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
SC was flying the Confederate flag on government property right up to the time the people got shot in the church in Charleston. It was still there days after the shooting until the legislature came to their senses (150 years after the Civil War) to finally removed it.

That should speak volumes about the politics down there.

This lady had courage and took the flag down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tBHeOVXMVE
That's not the Confederate Flag. I really wish people would take even three minutes out of their day to look things up before making these claims. If they did, most of these tragedies would never have occurred. That is the battle flag of the the army of Northern Virginia. It was never a Confederate flag. The Confederate Flag is also known as The Stars and Bars, and consists of a circle of white stars in a blue square in the upper left corner, and three bars - stripes - red, white, and red, respectively, from top to bottom. It's had a few version flown but that's the jist of it.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:52 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That is the battle flag of the the army of Northern Virginia.
Whichever flag you or I think it is the fact remains the same. The people who took that flag into battle were fighting for slavery. All of the southern flags in all their forms stood for oppression and slavery and that is the point. And that flag which stood for oppression and slavery was still flying on SC government property until not so long ago.

Please don't get hung up on the design of the flag but THE MEANING of the flag and what it stood for.

CT would never fly such a symbol of oppression and I am proud of my state for that.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:07 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
This guy's story is personal, and has nothing to do with any real trend.

NY and Mass are growing faster than CT, reason is CT lacks a major city. Mass is close to nat'l average, all of which is due to Metro Boston. Brooklyn, which has nearly as many people as CT, is growing faster than nat'l average. Within Connecticut, Fairfield County is actually at national average because of its proximity to NYC, while the rest of the counties in the state are declining slightly or flat.

Hartford and New Haven compete too much with one another, and both are in pretty bad shape relative to Boston and NY. And then there's Bridgeport. Not just CT, Providence, Springfield, and Worcester aren't doing that great either. Basically, these secondary manufacturing centers across Southern New England can't attract jobs like bigger cities nearby, and they're taking the regional economies down with them. No secret about Connecticut's weak cities, but they're far more of an economic development problem than South Carolina gun laws.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:24 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
This is an article by the food critic Michael Stern saying why he is leaving CT for SC.

Michael Stern says, "Goodbye, Connecticut" - Hartford Courant

For SC? Pretty much all I needed to know. When I left the North Shore of Long Island, I never thought of moving south.

Typical reasons.

Hope he is happy in his vinyl sided McHouse in his gated subdivision, Sweet Tea Plantation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut