Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Some of that is sarcasm. I lived in Greenwich for 4 years. I know people who are nannies that don't speak a word of English who own off St Roche and have for years. There are also areas around Valley and Bible in Cos Cob that are very blue collar. Just trying to balance out the narrative that Greenwich is all polo and mansions. There are ugly areas of Greenwich..and only fools would pay 800k for some these unbuildable lot and rotting pile of sticks.
I know Greenwich like the palm of my hand. I have yet to see an ugly area in that town and I've been everywhere minus most of the gated neighborhoods.

To call the older sections of Greenwich 'ghetto' or even 'ugly' is quite an exaggeration, to say the least. Also, given the very high cost of living everywhere in Greenwich, I'm willing to say that most of the 'blue collar' people that live in that town are on the upper levels of the 'blue collar' category. In any case, they are a minority in that town of solidly upper middle and upper segments, and it also happens to have the greatest concentration in the USA of single family homes worth more than $30 million.

Most of Greenwich is backcountry and it is full of mansions and otherwise somewhat modest looking homes on very expensive parcels, usually occupied by the well-to-do that doesn't have the need to flaunt it.

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-10-2015 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 12:34 PM

814 posts, read 910,931 times
I'm more shocked by the word "suburbish" then I am by the question of Greenwich being ghetto.

And yes it is ghetto, it hosts some of the biggest white-collar criminals you could shake a stick at.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:52 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I know Greenwich like the palm of my hand. I have yet to see an ugly area in that town and I've been everywhere minus most of the gated neighborhoods.

To call the older sections of Greenwich 'ghetto' or even 'ugly' is quite an exaggeration, to say the least. Also, given the very high cost of living everywhere in Greenwich, I'm willing to say that most of the 'blue collar' people that live in that town are on the upper levels of the 'blue collar' category. In any case, they are a minority in that town of solidly upper middle and upper segments, and it also happens to have the greatest concentration in the USA of single family homes worth more than $30 million.

Most of Greenwich is backcountry and it is full of mansions and otherwise somewhat modest looking homes on very expensive parcels, usually occupied by the well-to-do that doesn't have the need to flaunt it.
wrong,

as someone who was born and raised there for over 20 years,

most of greenwich isn't mansions. back country there are a lot of mansions, if you go to cos cob, old greenwich, riverside, byram, glenville, the majority of homes are not mansions and thats where the majority of the people are located, not back country.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:42 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
wrong,

most of greenwich isn't mansions. back country there are a lot of mansions, if you go to cos cob, old greenwich, riverside, byram, glenville, the majority of homes are not mansions and thats where the majority of the people are located, not back country.
Actually in Old Greenwich and Riverside…. I would say most of the homes are still larger than 4000 sf, just on smaller plots of land...

Old 09-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Actually in Old Greenwich and Riverside…. I would say most of the homes are still larger than 4000 sf, just on smaller plots of land...
north of route 1, near the hyatt regency is all considered old greenwich, along with near walgreens. Tell me how many of those homes are larger than 4000 sf

Old 09-10-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
wrong,

All those areas have average incomes at over $82,000. Old Greenwich is a good example, with half of its households earning more than $200,000 a year and poverty rates at a paltry 3%.

Good luck convincing anyone those areas are not overwhelmingly prosperous.

For comparison, South End (Bridgeport) has an average household income of slightly above $20,000 and almost 40% of the population below the poverty rate. That's a real ghetto.

The Bronx as a whole, which is from where the OP will be commuting from, has an average household income of more than $33,000 and at least 30% below the poverty rate. The OP is going from that to a town where the average property is worth well over $1 million and the average household income is approximately in the top 10% of the entire US.

This is all citing City-Data stats.

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-10-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Almost 70% of Old Greenwich households have incomes above $100,000. Someone among us (not me, lol) should go to Bridgeport and tell them a neighborhood where more than two-thirds of its households have incomes above $100,000 is 'ghetto.' And Old Greenwich is one of the most populated parts of Greenwich.

About 60% of Cos Cob is above $100,000.

2/3 of Riverside is above $100,000.

In the OP's Bronx at most 12% of the population is above $100,000.

Like I said in one of my previous posts, he should get ready for some culture shock.

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-10-2015 at 10:34 PM..

Old 09-11-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
All those areas have average incomes at over $82,000. Old Greenwich is a good example, with half of its households earning more than $200,000 a year and poverty rates at a paltry 3%.

Good luck convincing anyone those areas are not overwhelmingly prosperous.

For comparison, South End (Bridgeport) has an average household income of slightly above $20,000 and almost 40% of the population below the poverty rate. That's a real ghetto.

The Bronx as a whole, which is from where the OP will be commuting from, has an average household income of more than $33,000 and at least 30% below the poverty rate. The OP is going from that to a town where the average property is worth well over $1 million and the average household income is approximately in the top 10% of the entire US.

This is all citing City-Data stats.
my argument isnt that they aren't "prosperous." I'm saying the houses are not mansions. Doesn't mean they arent expensive and people dont make over 100K. I dont think you can survive in a house in Fairfield county with a combined income less than 100K.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:04 PM

570 posts, read 476,995 times
Quote:
my argument isnt that they aren't "prosperous." I'm saying the houses are not mansions. Doesn't mean they arent expensive and people dont make over 100K. I dont think you can survive in a house in Fairfield county with a combined income less than 100K.
howdy,

Don't mess with narrative. Everyone in Greenwich drives a Tesla, works at hedge fund and parks their yacht in Newport. Shhh, there is no such thing as the Wilbur peck housing project. Somehow, 100k income affords 700k starter. That is free market, not speculation. Fed suppresses rates unnaturally, purchases garbage MBS, pumps stock market and changes rules on fly to keep game going..all signs of free market at work. Real estate is biggest speculation of all but not in Greenwich. Only rich need apply. Hilarious yet somehow 20 years ago a immigrant, Nanny could afford to buy home in so so area. Not anymore. There are no so so areas apparently.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:36 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
howdy,

Don't mess with narrative. Everyone in Greenwich drives a Tesla, works at hedge fund and parks their yacht in Newport. Shhh, there is no such thing as the Wilbur peck housing project. Somehow, 100k income affords 700k starter. That is free market, not speculation. Fed suppresses rates unnaturally, purchases garbage MBS, pumps stock market and changes rules on fly to keep game going..all signs of free market at work. Real estate is biggest speculation of all but not in Greenwich. Only rich need apply. Hilarious yet somehow 20 years ago a immigrant, Nanny could afford to buy home in so so area. Not anymore. There are no so so areas apparently.
In 1995….a "nanny" could not afford a house in Greenwich… in 1999 the average house was $1 million
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut