Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:11 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Beware of Aquent. I've heard a lot of horror stories with them.

Better off with someone local:
Vanguard Temporaries, Inc. - Graphic Staffing
McIntyre Group | Redefining the Recruiting Experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:29 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Beware of Aquent. I've heard a lot of horror stories with them.

Better off with someone local:
Vanguard Temporaries, Inc. - Graphic Staffing
McIntyre Group | Redefining the Recruiting Experience
What kind of horror stories?

Old 09-12-2015, 11:45 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
What kind of horror stories?
Disrespectful, do not look out for the creative's best interest (always side with the company), don't place at quality jobs, etc.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:46 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
If you do the math on paying CT car taxes vs metro NY car insurance premiums you may find that it is a wash. My insurance dropped almost in half when I registered my car here.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:22 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey_lyn View Post
Okay great. Now can you convince my future husband that this is a significant improvement!!!!?
His needs are not the same as yours?

What is it about LI that he is so attached to other than family?

Most on here know i'm not the exactly the biggest advocate of CT. But your situation is one that makes CT easily, hands down the most viable solution. If you want to raise your quality of life overnight and still be super close to family, CT is the only real answer. The only other candidate is NJ and any place worth living there will have all the same problems as LI/westchester.

If you can stay employed, and CT jobs pay enough in your industry, there's really no way for you to lose. COL calculator put LI at only a 1% increase in salary over CT, but with a 20% increase in cost of living. So at an income of 100k/year on LI, you would, theoretically, make 99,000 in CT but only need to make 80k to sustain the same QUALITY of life from LI (that cost 100). that puts roughly $19,000 back into your pocket/year/100k..

Keep in mind COL calculators are extremely blended averages of gigabytes of data across many industries and im not convinced they are very accurate. Due diligence and your own, custom COL calculations are necessary to obtain more accurate results, but like the MPG ratings on cars they are definitely useful for initial comparative purposes. Some industries (finance for example) have extreme variation in salary with respect to geography. My FILs banking position can vary by 100,000 dollars between providence (100k), hartford (150k) and stamford (200k). Woah. He decided the sweet spot was Hartford area--150k pays for a much better life in middle CT than 200k does in FFC.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 09-13-2015 at 08:42 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Disrespectful, do not look out for the creative's best interest (always side with the company), don't place at quality jobs, etc.
I have friends who use them and I have not heard that. Regardless, just calling them to get an idea about the jobs in the area does not mean you have to eventually work through them. The op could all resources to find out information.

Stylo, you are in the field am I not right? It's always good to get a different points of view and the OP can pick they way they want to proceed. I might hear different things than you do. It is good to get another perspective be it bad or good.

From who I know in the Stamford area who have creative full time jobs they do very well. My cousin was a Photohop expert that worked in Stamford and Westchester and he made such a good living he was able to retire in his late 50's. He worked more toward NYC and that is how he was able to make a bigger salary. I think at one time he was even working right in Manhattan.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:08 PM

46 posts, read 62,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
kasey-lyn,

I have a good resource for you. There is a company in Stamford that places creative talent in jobs. It is called Aquent and it is based in Stamford. Why don't you give them a call and see how your skill set would do in the area.

Creative Staffing Agency | Creative staffing is our specialty!

Here is something I do as a freelancer and I get "XYZ company is looking for people like you". I am on Linkedin and I have my town listed. I have my resume on there. I also have examples my work so you can say I have my portfolio on there. You might already have a linked in account but maybe you can change the town you live in to see about the jobs in this area. I might put in Westport or Fairfield CT as your town because you would get companies interested in you from Westchester, Fairfield and New Haven counties.

In Newtwon there is the Tauton Press.
https://www.taunton.com/

This is actually super helpful. I've heard of Aquent before as a recent grad they wanted to put me in really crappy positions, but now that I'm more experienced, I may have better luck. I take all these "staffing" companies with a grain of salt, but I'd be interested to see what they find.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:09 PM

46 posts, read 62,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
His needs are not the same as yours?

What is it about LI that he is so attached to other than family?

Most on here know i'm not the exactly the biggest advocate of CT. But your situation is one that makes CT easily, hands down the most viable solution. If you want to raise your quality of life overnight and still be super close to family, CT is the only real answer. The only other candidate is NJ and any place worth living there will have all the same problems as LI/westchester.

If you can stay employed, and CT jobs pay enough in your industry, there's really no way for you to lose. COL calculator put LI at only a 1% increase in salary over CT, but with a 20% increase in cost of living. So at an income of 100k/year on LI, you would, theoretically, make 99,000 in CT but only need to make 80k to sustain the same QUALITY of life from LI (that cost 100). that puts roughly $19,000 back into your pocket/year/100k..

Keep in mind COL calculators are extremely blended averages of gigabytes of data across many industries and im not convinced they are very accurate. Due diligence and your own, custom COL calculations are necessary to obtain more accurate results, but like the MPG ratings on cars they are definitely useful for initial comparative purposes. Some industries (finance for example) have extreme variation in salary with respect to geography. My FILs banking position can vary by 100,000 dollars between providence (100k), hartford (150k) and stamford (200k). Woah. He decided the sweet spot was Hartford area--150k pays for a much better life in middle CT than 200k does in FFC.

He is advocating for North Carolina and making a big jump in COL and housing. Unfortunately I am the one hesitating to move so far away from our families, especially when we plan on having children in the next 5 years.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:03 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
He is advocating for North Carolina and making a big jump in COL and housing. Unfortunately I am the one hesitating to move so far away from our families, especially when we plan on having children in the next 5 years.
Oh, well I can't convince him of THAT. lol. I thought you meant between LI and CT.

Just do what wives do best and nag him into submission. Brute force, not reasoning will prevail in this decision. A diplomatic approach might be to make him a deal. 2 years in CT with promise to consider NC if it doesn't work out? It also lets you ease out of the whole family thing. You will either (1) grow fond of the new found independence and not mind moving further or (2) not even be able to handle being 1.5 hours away from family and know for sure NC will never work.

I will most likely end up in TN, NC or FL. My wife is game for all of the above too, with nashville area being our preferred relocation.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I missed this post. My mom went through a similar situation. When my mom and dad retired they were going to move to FL. I am afraid to fly so I told my mom she would hardly see me as the drive is too long. My mom insisted on moving to NC because I said I would drive that far with my husband and I would not mind taking the train by myself on a one day trip.

We would send my mom down pictures of when the family together. She must have really missed us (me, my siblings, her brothers & sisters etc.) because she called one day and said "get a realtor for next weekend, I am coming home". We bought her a condo in Monroe right in between me in Trumbull and my brother in Newtown. She she is as happy as a clam.

This is one of those men are from Mars women are from Venus things. There is more to life than living in a big house down south and saving a bit on your taxes for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut