Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:56 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't think it surprises anyone that New Yorkers come to Connecticut to buy second homes.
2nd homes??? You mean in addition to those who buy primary homes. Got it.

Living in Fairfield I can tell you from experience that NYorkers move out of NY and into SWCT more than those buying "2nd homes" in CT. Not only from the NY plates we see on the roads but family, friends, and neighbors doing it. When a home goes up for sale in the area, next thing you know the For Sale sign comes down and there's a car with NY plates in the driveway. That is your tell. And I've seen many over the past 5 yrs. That's just me in a tiny area in only 5yrs time and a purchase.. Not even counting those who are renting from NY.

I been saying this for 3 yrs now especially since the Boom Bust. Taxes, Land, Property is better in CT and they have been flocking over like birds escaping winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 10:59 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Haven't heard about Groton being a target, but I knew some people from NY last year that were looking in the CT River valley area for second homes - Essex, Deep River, Chester, Haddam, East Haddam. And, when my mom's cousin sold her home near the beach in Old Saybrook the year before, I think the buyer was also from NY. Not sure if it was a second home for them or not, but the Old Saybrook home was completely rebuilt and updated by my mom's cousin and was somewhere between mid and upper six figures in price.
That has been true for decades now. I had a friend from college whose New York boss had a house on Hamburg Cove in Lyme that he visited. My friend was astonished by its beauty and still wants to buy a home there someday. Unfortunately he moved to the west coast and is firmly entrenched there now. Jay

Old 09-11-2015, 11:15 AM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
2nd homes??? You mean in addition to those who buy primary homes. Got it.

Living in Fairfield I can tell you from experience that NYorkers move out of NY and into SWCT more than those buying "2nd homes" in CT. Not only from the NY plates we see on the roads but family, friends, and neighbors doing it. When a home goes up for sale in the area, next thing you know the For Sale sign comes down and there's a car with NY plates in the driveway. That is your tell. And I've seen many over the past 5 yrs. That's just me in a tiny area in only 5yrs time and a purchase.. Not even counting those who are renting from NY.

I been saying this for 3 yrs now especially since the Boom Bust. Taxes, Land, Property is better in CT and they have been flocking over like birds escaping winter.
Escape winter... in CT??

Old 09-11-2015, 11:28 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Outside of the city I would expect New York state taxes to be cheaper. Know where my family lives near Poughkeepsie area is cheaper than where I am living.

I definitely know some NYC people move up to the hills of Litchfield County.

Speaking of Stonington the Borough they built some luxury apartments out of the old fort there.
Much of Long Island and Westchester County has crazy taxes as well. NYC, Long Island and Westchester is a majority of the state population

Old 09-11-2015, 11:34 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
NYers have been buying second homes in CT for decades…. up in the Southbury/Roxbury area there are a TON of former NYers. Lots of them actually purchased second houses there and ended up staying full time once they had kids..

Old 09-11-2015, 11:49 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
The article also talks about NYC renters who buy their FIRST home to use as a vacation home. This is why rent control is a scam. Does anyone in their right mind think it's fair for someone to rent a 3bd apartment in Brooklyn for $3000/mo then use the $3,000/mo in savings (assuming $6,000/mo market rent) to buy a vacation home in the Catskills or Groton? Seniority systems just don't work whether it's in the workplace (for promotions) or in the rental market (to determine your rent).

Old 09-11-2015, 02:38 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
This has been happening for at least 100 years. I actually have a book on it published in the 1930s I believe. They escaped the city to the coolness of the wilderness in western CT in the summer, especially the wives and kids.

And don't forget the Great Camps of the ADK - escape for the rich and famous.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:37 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
The article also talks about NYC renters who buy their FIRST home to use as a vacation home. This is why rent control is a scam. Does anyone in their right mind think it's fair for someone to rent a 3bd apartment in Brooklyn for $3000/mo then use the $3,000/mo in savings (assuming $6,000/mo market rent) to buy a vacation home in the Catskills or Groton? Seniority systems just don't work whether it's in the workplace (for promotions) or in the rental market (to determine your rent).
How did one get into a rent controlled apartment in the first place? If its so undervalued I suspect there will be cases of bribe?

Old 09-11-2015, 05:31 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Outside of the city I would expect New York state taxes to be cheaper.
NYC property taxes are actually relatively low. But the resident tax makes up for it.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:33 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Remember "I Love Lucy"? They portrayed that exact move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut