Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:12 AM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times

Advertisements

Being on gas has its advantages. I only lose lights and my fridge. My millivolt system still gives me heat and I made sure that the water heater I bought in 2011 didn't have one lick of electricity going to it. Digital? No thanks.

I'm dreading having to upgrade my stove, guess they all have some sort of power to them now. Mine doesn't even have a clock, so no plug at all.

The October snow storm was the one I was down for the most in. 1.5 days in Irene and a full week in the snow. We did have a big tree come down on the street that took all night to fix years ago - right after we came home from the grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 09:13 AM

399 posts, read 850,990 times
Good point re: city water vs well. 6 months after we moved in, Sandy hit and we lost power for 4 days (and had a 3 week old baby) - I was sure glad I had hot water!

Gas stoves work fine, you can just use a match or lighter like the olden days before pilot lights and electric charges.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_f View Post
Good point re: city water vs well. 6 months after we moved in, Sandy hit and we lost power for 4 days (and had a 3 week old baby) - I was sure glad I had hot water!

Gas stoves work fine, you can just use a match or lighter like the olden days before pilot lights and electric charges.
Good to know! I heard it won't work for the oven though, maybe it's stove dependent?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:06 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Good to know! I heard it won't work for the oven though, maybe it's stove dependent?
Is the oven gas too? Many ovens are dual fuel these days where the stove top is gas and the oven is electric as many think electric oven performance is better.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

The upfront cost is pretty huge, a few thousand more for the tankless. I'll probably sell the unit within 10 years and move on to something else, so I personally won't recoup the savings.

Do you guys think tankless is a feature that new home buyers are looking for? Or do they just take what they get?

I think for me, performance is the biggest factor. I think the max strain I'd put on the system is 2 hot showers, laundry, and maybe a dishwasher going at the same time.

The tankless system seems to have more parts and systems that could go wrong or need replacing. A tank appears to be the more simpler option.

If one were to go with a tank, which brand/model is best to go with these days? I hear A.O. Smith thrown around a lot.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Is the oven gas too? Many ovens are dual fuel these days where the stove top is gas and the oven is electric as many think electric oven performance is better.
Mine is old and 100% gas, not even a clock. I'm worried about a new gas one that requires an igniter. Now you say the oben may be electric? Well that sucks. I dont even have power in that corner.

When I had an electric stove, I never felt the over was better than gas. Argh! Something else to look into. Thanks, not

Ctbrook - a few THOUSAND more? My 40 gallon was $400 in 2011. does this thing make your morning coffee too? What are you getting for that much money??

Old 09-21-2015, 07:39 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
We use them in rental units and like them. Tenants pay the utilities, so this way they have unlimited hot water. But the water there is reservoir water, so not hard groundwater. So far, they are holding up. We have some on oil, and the tankless hot water on those has lasted 40 yrs!
I'm curious what brands you are using as we are considering a tankless water heater soon. Thank you.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Ctbrook - a few THOUSAND more? My 40 gallon was $400 in 2011. does this thing make your morning coffee too? What are you getting for that much money??
Haha you would think so. I personally was leaning towards tank for simplicity. My wife wants tankless as she's heard of the "hot water on demand" and "no more running out of hot water."

Main things we want is certainly not having to wait a long time for hot water to arrive at the point of request, and then of course not to run out of hot water even during high stress such as multiple showers or laundry.

Sounding like the proper size water tank would still be a solid choice.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:22 PM

The only time I run out is if I fill the tub while doing someghing else. But that's because I keep the temp turned down.... It's set so it's as hot as I can tolerate it when turned to full hot in the shower (and I take hot showers). I set it summer and winter. That way if it ever fires up during the day or night, it's not heating to a hotter temp. If I'm going to take a bath, I'll just kick the heater up a bit before I start.

I never have a problem getting hot water, it only takes a few seconds.

That said, I have a 1400 sq ft house and the water heater is on the same side as the kitchen and bath.

I watch some newer bigger houses where their water is so hot it can burn (and they have kids) AND it takes so long to get hot at the faucet, kitchen included, that I sometimes can feed the animals while waiting. I don't get it, and it's more than one house. They are not mansions by any means either.

I'm still blown away by thousands!!!!

Old 09-22-2015, 09:33 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

The upfront cost is pretty huge, a few thousand more for the tankless. I'll probably sell the unit within 10 years and move on to something else, so I personally won't recoup the savings.

Do you guys think tankless is a feature that new home buyers are looking for? Or do they just take what they get?

I think for me, performance is the biggest factor. I think the max strain I'd put on the system is 2 hot showers, laundry, and maybe a dishwasher going at the same time.

The tankless system seems to have more parts and systems that could go wrong or need replacing. A tank appears to be the more simpler option.

If one were to go with a tank, which brand/model is best to go with these days? I hear A.O. Smith thrown around a lot.
I don't think tankless HW is a feature buyers care about. Nice to say you have but nothing they would pay more to own. The money would be better put to hardwood floors, granite or stainless appliances. JMHO, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut