Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 09:30 AM

173 posts, read 218,677 times

Advertisements

I'm new to CT and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an emissions testing center in Norwalk or Westport? I used the DMV's website to get a list of locations, but some of the garages had really poor ratings when I looked them up. I thought it might be worth asking this forum for some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 10:04 AM

720 posts, read 919,415 times
Its a fairly easy and standard process which takes 10-15 minutes, hard to mess up as the computer does everything. I would use any garage that is in a decent area.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Its a fairly easy and standard process which takes 10-15 minutes, hard to mess up as the computer does everything. I would use any garage that is in a decent area.
Good to know. The process in CT seems a little different than elsewhere. A few more questions:

— Do I also need a VIN confirmation?

— Do I need to have the emissions tested every year?

— Does CT require any kind of safety inspection?

Old 10-16-2015, 11:06 AM

720 posts, read 919,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT356 View Post
Good to know. The process in CT seems a little different than elsewhere. A few more questions:

You should have the slip from the DMV which tells you that you are due for an emissions check.
An official Emissions Test Notification postcard will be sent to you at least 45 days in advance of your due date

The State of Connecticut requires emissions testing every two years on all vehicles except:
  • 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 model year vehicles;
  • Model year 1990 and older vehicles;
  • Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more;
  • Composite Vehicles (vehicle must be titled as a composite vehicle);
  • Full electric-powered (non-hybrid);
  • Bicycles with motors attached;
  • Motorcycles;
  • Certain vehicles registered but not designed primarily for highway use;
  • Farm vehicles;
  • Class-1 School Buses;
  • Vehicles with Dealer, Repairer, or Transporter Plates (only for the purpose of transportation during wholesale or auction).
DMV: Inspection FAQs

Old 10-17-2015, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT356 View Post

VIN verification are performed on vehicles that were registered out of state. Just get the emissions test done, that will also verify your VIN. They give you a printout . Bring that with you to the DMV when you register. I had to do this with my truck which I bought in New York.

No safety inspections of any kind in CT.

Emissions test is every two years. If you have a 1996 and newer car they just plug into the diagnostic port. If you have no check engine light and haven't just reset the light recently you'll pass without issue.

The CT DMV website is one of the better ones out there. They have everything documented to a T. Nearly all of the forms are available on the website as well. I like to print out the registration form and fill it out in adobe and print it out before I get to the DMV.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:46 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Seems like for me it's under 5 minutes. I go to a place on 25 in Monroe and seems like that's about 3 minutes to do the test.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:25 PM

Thanks, all. I took one of the cars to a test center in Norwalk. I was there about an hour and 15 minutes. The test itself only took 10 minutes, but they were backed up on a Saturday. I have one more to have tested, which I'll have to wait until next Saturday to do.

Good to know about the safety inspection. The state I'm coming from required one every year, which I always thought was a bit much, especially on newer cars.

Thanks for the tip on printing out papers ahead of time. I hear the DMV here in Norwalk can get pretty backed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: