Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 AM

19 posts, read 16,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I use to work on Mill Street in Bryam years ago and that area is less desirable area of Greenwich because it is right near Portchester. Go look on zillow at the home prices. The prices are still high in that area too.
Thanks. Right now I think we're specifically looking at Old Greenwich and Riverside, even though we get less for our money in those areas. They have been highly recommended by coworkers. Every time I see a listing that's appealing on Zillow, I text coworkers and ask about the area. They have been great so far, as have all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 10:46 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley1986 View Post
Thanks. Right now I think we're specifically looking at Old Greenwich and Riverside, even though we get less for our money in those areas. They have been highly recommended by coworkers. Every time I see a listing that's appealing on Zillow, I text coworkers and ask about the area. They have been great so far, as have all of you!
Good idea… some people I recommend looking further out based on their needs but for you, Greenwich is most ideal as long as you can afford it. You didn't specify budget and it seems like you can easily afford a starter home.. there are plenty of small, nice houses in Greenwich for a mill but if you want walkable to the train… you are going to be in the high $ 1million range, probably closer to $2 million for Old Greenwich or Riverside.. that's a lot of dough but hey, lots of people have great jobs. Lol

You should just take a look at what you can get for $ 2 million in Darien - it's a little cheaper than Greenwich and schools are ranked higher… there are lots of homes walkable to Metro North Darien or Noroton Heights within that range...

Old 09-28-2015, 01:38 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Right, but it's not "real diversity" like Stamford. The diff in Westport or similar schools vs. Greenwich is not worth the commute hell. Quality of life trumps all.
and don't worry about the keeping up with the jones nonsense, that's just an overdone stereotype by upstaters who don't live in the area.
Greenwich is not as diversified as Stamford but it has a lot more than the other affluent area suburbs. For example Greenwich is 1.8% black, 7.2 % Asian, 10.4% Hispanic and 4.9% other/multiple race. Darien is 0.2% black, 2,5% Asian, 2.1% Hispanic and 2.1% other/multiple race. Westport is only slightly more diverse with 1.2% black, 4.3% Asian, 3.3% Hispanic and 3% other/multiple race. So while some may say it is not diverse, it is more so than many other comparable suburbs. On top of that it is a pretty good sized town with over 61,000 residents. Jay

Old 09-28-2015, 06:57 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
That's the area I am talking about. My aunt lived a few houses away from old Greenwich near the little golf course and for the first 6 years of my life we lived in an apartment upstairs. I was baptized in Saint Clements Church. That is a good affordable (for Greenwich) area and it is close to the beach.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:33 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Quote:
That's the area I am talking about. My aunt lived a few houses away from old Greenwich near the little golf course and for the first 6 years of my life we lived in an apartment upstairs. I was baptized in Saint Clements Church. That is a good affordable (for Greenwich) area and it is close to the beach.
near Innis arden country club? I wouldnt really say that area is affordable, anywhere in OG is pretty expensive. The other side of route 1 it gets more affordable on the border of stamford. Anywhere close to the beach u are looking at least at homes being 1 mill and above

Old 10-01-2015, 07:09 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Eh. I don't worry too much about keeping up with the Joneses.
I believe you. But when your kids hit a certain age, they will start asking for things others easily get...no matter how unspoiled you have raised them.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:30 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
near Innis arden country club? I wouldnt really say that area is affordable, anywhere in OG is pretty expensive. The other side of route 1 it gets more affordable on the border of stamford. Anywhere close to the beach u are looking at least at homes being 1 mill and above
Not near the water. The areas bounded by Rosa Hartman Park/Havemeyer Road--Palmer Hill---Valley Road--Sheep Hill. That area is not near the water. I could never afford to live there but in relative terms to other areas of Greenwich there are more small and middle class homes in that area. At least there used to be. If you go on zillow you can still find houses under 1 million. You can find houses here and there under the average price for Greenwich which CD says is over 1 million.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:22 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times
Can't think of a golf course over there... You mean Brennan in Stamford? In any case, you'd need to drive to the train from those neighborhoods. More affordable, but less convenient.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:14 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Quote:
Not near the water. The areas bounded by Rosa Hartman Park/Havemeyer Road--Palmer Hill---Valley Road--Sheep Hill. That area is not near the water. I could never afford to live there but in relative terms to other areas of Greenwich there are more small and middle class homes in that area. At least there used to be. If you go on zillow you can still find houses under 1 million. You can find houses here and there under the average price for Greenwich which CD says is over 1 million.
yes my parents live over in that area . And yes there are more "affordable" homes but a lot of the smaller ones are still expensive or are being knocked down to make overside houses on small lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut