Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

We went a few years ago to see REO Speedwagon. Nothing stands out in memory about the crowd, smoking, or security and there were reported to be over 10,000 people in attendance that night....

We hit the oyster fest every year, and usually a couple of other fairs. Definitely a mixed crowd, but nothing that ever caused us any alarm.

As for the cursing... Maybe I am so use to is, I don't notice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 06:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Climate... I guess I'm leery of large gatherings that could be possible targets for crazies. Lots of lone wolves out there and others. Not thinking lower crime rates. 3 yrs ago I was in CT for 8 months, moving up from the Memphis area. During that time it stood out the LACK of violent crimes reported every morning, especially compared to Memphis. I recently moved back here and there seem to be more every day.

Jay, we will be going to the smaller ones. They are full of country charm.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:29 AM

62 posts, read 86,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I saw the Fair/Festival thread but wanted to specifically bring this up. If the mods want to merge, that's fine.

We went to the Durham Fair last night. HUGE crowd of people. As mentioned in the other thread, the hills to sit on are really nice and we totally enjoyed the Craig Morgan concert. WOW I'm now a fan of his. What a great performance, though he was fighting to keep from coughing. He didn't hold back AT ALL.

I enjoyed the exhibits and the animals. We were disappointed the only candy apples we could find were store-bought and hard as bricks.

HOWEVER, coming from several decades in the Memphis area and having attended LARGE fairs with big crowds in a place where security is emphasized, I was really.... disgusted is the only word that comes to me.

First, young people from all walks were swearing horrendously no matter if kids were around or not. Often they were with parents and still didn't watch their language. I cannot stand that. I wish people would teach their kids better manners. And I wish gentlemen would stand up and tell others to watch their mouths.

Second, CIGARETTE SMOKING was everywhere. You couldn't get away from it. I hate that I used to be a smoker because I'm sure I was every bit as inconsiderate and obnoxious.

Third, DRUNKS. Bags were checked on the way in but people of all ages were staggering drunk, bumping into people, falling over (well, he would have if I hadn't put my hand on his back).

Fourth, security or lack thereof. All the drunks, all the jostling, it's a wonder a brawl didn't break out and there were NO uniforms to be seen, save JROTC kids. As we were leaving we saw a few staties looking dapper and flaunting it gathered around some food vendor booths in one area. 5 I think there were. Staties directed traffic out on the roads. I didn't see any local crowd control uniforms. No town or county cops. No police presence at all. It gave me a really uneasy feeling.

I bet there were a couple hundred thousand there last night.

Traffic...meh...it was typically horrible for that size crowd. They did a poor job, imo, with traffic control but that would fall under location. I just don't think it was laid out well for that size crowd.

The exhibitors did great jobs but I felt bad for the kids and animals that were stuck surrounded by that throng.

ETA: The Guilford Fair was SO much nicer, imo.
I stopped going years ago, mainly because after so many times it's the same ol' same ol', that said, I dont kind crowds anyway, your descriptions arent helping that perception. Hope you at least had a good time

Old 09-29-2015, 06:37 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
I went once to the DF as it was touted as a big event, one of the if not biggest in the state. I was underwhelmed, the tractor pull was a small fenced in area so no long pulls or shows to see. The whole event is on the side of a mountain, I say mountain and not hill because it's fairly steep so if your pushing or pulling a stroller all day then it's no cup of tea.

From parking in a dirt corn field lot (read "dirt") which I don't mind but the dust was horrible, sitting on a school bus, paying a fairly high price to get in, and walking up and down a ski slope I will pass. Besides a 45 minutes simple ride north and I'm at the Big E which offers so much more but that is to be expected due to it's size.

While I'm sure plenty of people enjoy it and it has it's good points I just don't see the appeal and would rather go to a smaller fair (North Branford Potato & Corn Fest) for the money.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:54 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I saw the Fair/Festival thread but wanted to specifically bring this up. If the mods want to merge, that's fine.

We went to the Durham Fair last night. HUGE crowd of people. As mentioned in the other thread, the hills to sit on are really nice and we totally enjoyed the Craig Morgan concert. WOW I'm now a fan of his. What a great performance, though he was fighting to keep from coughing. He didn't hold back AT ALL.

I enjoyed the exhibits and the animals. We were disappointed the only candy apples we could find were store-bought and hard as bricks.

HOWEVER, coming from several decades in the Memphis area and having attended LARGE fairs with big crowds in a place where security is emphasized, I was really.... disgusted is the only word that comes to me.

First, young people from all walks were swearing horrendously no matter if kids were around or not. Often they were with parents and still didn't watch their language. I cannot stand that. I wish people would teach their kids better manners. And I wish gentlemen would stand up and tell others to watch their mouths.

Second, CIGARETTE SMOKING was everywhere. You couldn't get away from it. I hate that I used to be a smoker because I'm sure I was every bit as inconsiderate and obnoxious.

Third, DRUNKS. Bags were checked on the way in but people of all ages were staggering drunk, bumping into people, falling over (well, he would have if I hadn't put my hand on his back).

Fourth, security or lack thereof. All the drunks, all the jostling, it's a wonder a brawl didn't break out and there were NO uniforms to be seen, save JROTC kids. As we were leaving we saw a few staties looking dapper and flaunting it gathered around some food vendor booths in one area. 5 I think there were. Staties directed traffic out on the roads. I didn't see any local crowd control uniforms. No town or county cops. No police presence at all. It gave me a really uneasy feeling.

I bet there were a couple hundred thousand there last night.

Traffic...meh...it was typically horrible for that size crowd. They did a poor job, imo, with traffic control but that would fall under location. I just don't think it was laid out well for that size crowd.

The exhibitors did great jobs but I felt bad for the kids and animals that were stuck surrounded by that throng.

ETA: The Guilford Fair was SO much nicer, imo.
That's nothing - you should have seen the Danbury Fair back in the day.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:47 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
I've always wanted to go, but I hate crowds. I know a few people who recently went that said just getting there was an ordeal. We went to the Big E a few years ago, and again OMG the traffic and the crowds...I guess that's just the nature of fairs though, if there were no crowds then they wouldn't make any money, would they?

Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I've always wanted to go, but I hate crowds. I know a few people who recently went that said just getting there was an ordeal. We went to the Big E a few years ago, and again OMG the traffic and the crowds...I guess that's just the nature of fairs though, if there were no crowds then they wouldn't make any money, would they?
I love the smaller town fairs and festivals here in CT. We've been to some wonderful events.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:46 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Please stop the bickering and return to the topic of the OP or infractions will be issued. JayCT, Moderator

Old 09-30-2015, 08:44 AM

1,241 posts, read 903,301 times
My family and I went to the Durham Fair on Sunday and it was very enjoyable. It was crowded but not unreasonably so. There were a few people here and there smoking which I find annoying but it was not intrusive or anything we could not avoid. Getting to and from the fair was smooth with moderate traffic and a well run shuttle bus system that took us from our parking lot to the fair grounds.

We purposely chose to go on a Sunday as it was likely to be more family oriented based on our experiences at many other country fairs. Don't know that I would want to go on a Friday or Saturday evening.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
My family and I went to the Durham Fair on Sunday and it was very enjoyable. It was crowded but not unreasonably so. There were a few people here and there smoking which I find annoying but it was not intrusive or anything we could not avoid. Getting to and from the fair was smooth with moderate traffic and a well run shuttle bus system that took us from our parking lot to the fair grounds.

We purposely chose to go on a Sunday as it was likely to be more family oriented based on our experiences at many other country fairs. Don't know that I would want to go on a Friday or Saturday evening.
That's a really good idea, going on Sunday. I'll forever be grateful we got to see Craig...Morgan is it?
(how quickly we forget )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut