Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:53 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,782,300 times

Advertisements

This is a round about way to increase salaries. The public at large isn't going to go for across the board raises for teachers especially since they "get their summers off" and are working a part time job in their eyes.

IMO teachers need to be paid more, but that's never going to happen even in CT. I don't care how many sick days they get I have better things to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 11:47 AM

83 posts, read 128,315 times
The OP's claims are loaded with a lot of BS, as a lot of users here have thankfully been quick to point out. ...But, it's also sorely misguided in numbers, which is a shame if you're going to make a stance on something so one-sidedly.

In just comparing New Britain to two neighboring districts - Newington and Berlin, New Britain's salary is within $1,500 of each, but in between the two (Newington paying more, Berlin less), and teachers at all three districts receive 15 sick days a year, except in NB they accumulate up to 185 days, while Berlin can accumulate 180, and Newington 210. So even compared to its direct neighbors, New Britain is not the most liberal with sick days. Also, NB teachers get 4 personal days per year (aligned with the state average), while Berlin teachers get 2, and Newington ones get 5.

Bristol is pretty much on the same par as New Britain, but teachers get paid $3,000 or so less per year. Also, two more neighbors - Farmington and Rocky Hill - pay higher than New Britain, and Southington is nearly the same.

Just a misinformed post...

Old 10-08-2015, 12:06 PM

453 posts, read 525,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
This is a round about way to increase salaries. The public at large isn't going to go for across the board raises for teachers especially since they "get their summers off" and are working a part time job in their eyes.

IMO teachers need to be paid more, but that's never going to happen even in CT. I don't care how many sick days they get I have better things to worry about.
What do you think is a fair salary for teachers?

I think starting pay is too low for someone with a masters, coming out of school with 5 years of debt. However, I think the upper pay is fair. A tenured teacher is also guaranteed to get an increase in pay every year until maxing out (except occasional years when steps are frozen), while someone in the private sector is not. I think a fair starting salary for a teacher in CT with a masters should be 55-60K.

Keep in mind CT is already #3 I believe nationwide in teacher salaries.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:23 PM

15 posts, read 16,616 times
I know this is about New Britain and CT, but I just have to chime in (as a past teacher for over 10 years, having taught in a few districts here in MA):

Districts differ incredibly in their policies for sick days. That is why some teachers may find what I say not to be true for their case. Each district is different, and often this is not dislosed in teacher interviews. The teacher doesn't see the contract until after they are hired. One district didn't give any sick time until time was put in. 1.5 days for every month worked.

Generally, sick days can accumulate, but a doctor's notice is required if going three days out consecutively. Some districts make teachers sign a statement saying they were bound to the home and could not go out if they were out sick one day. Sick days cannot be taken before or after a vacation or long weekend.

Yes, sick days build up and get carried over. Some districts allow teachers to sell sick days come retirement time. Some allow teachers to use them all up until retirement. Others do not allow this.

I had no disability insurance of any kind that I knew of, no social security. I could have paid for long-term or cancer disability. I declined. I could have paid for life insurance.

I used a lot of my sick days to take time off after my baby. Some of this was paid. Most was not. I gave up about a hundred sick days when i resigned.

When I was out sick, I would put in about three hours of work to prepare lesson plans that allowed students to practice skills we were learning in class. Sometimes the copy machine was not working or out of staples, so this added extra time and sometimes a personal cost to the process. I usually worked an 11 hour day before I knew I'd be out.

Working a 65 to 80 hour work week was the norm with more hours put in before grades were due and at the end of the year to pack up my classroom.

That being said, I took "sick" time to work on homework for classes I had to take (paying my own money to take to keep my license), prepare a professional binder that was required, and grade papers. I was thankful for each snow day and usually worked to catch up on grading. Our snow days all had to be made up at the end of the year, but I was glad because evaluations didn't happen then. (That's another topic, on how teachers are evaluated!)

I have researched a prior district in which I worked. They start all teachers (regardless of experience) at their very lowest pay rate. I guess I won't be going back to them.

I think teaching is a great job for ppl who come at it later in life and want some security, health care, pension, etc. For college grads starting out, I'd say, try something different and stretching with more respect and better copiers. It's a lot of work at home that I just refuse to do with a baby in my life.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:18 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,949,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takingoff View Post
The teacher doesn't see the contract until after they are hired.
I can't comment about Massachusetts, but here in Connecticut all teacher contracts are available online, so there is no reason for anyone not to see it before he or she is hired.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:05 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,147,346 times
I'm not a teacher, but I only get 5 sick days. After 3 days we're expected to bring a doctor's note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut