Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 06:34 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Tell me again how our guns that are about as easy to purchase as a carton of eggs are keeping people safe.
Please tell us how guns are as easy to buy as eggs. Like, have you ever bought a gun?

Old 10-02-2015, 06:46 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Have you noticed that almost 100% of the mass murders by firearms in the past two decades or so have taken place in "GUN FREE" zones?

The problem is NOT too many guns but too many CRAZY people willing to harm innocent and almost always defenseless people.
Gunluvver, your facts are racist. If you don't believe me, watch msnbc for a while!

Old 10-02-2015, 07:10 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
If your life is in danger, how long does it take a Cop to respond to your 911 call?

That's if you have the chance to make one.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:25 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
I think a lot of this discussion doesn't reflect the actual proposals that are on the table. No one wants to confiscate guns unilaterally.

I think what IS on the table is:

(A) Improved and mandatory background checks
(B) Longer wait periods
(C) Improved coordination between clinicians and authorities on those who might be dangerous.

I support the right of law-abiding, sane citizens to own guns. Personally, I think it's unnecessary and a bit nuts to own your own arsenal, but, I don't know what can be done about that...

I hope that Connecticut takes an active approach on the three items above to, perhaps, improve safety for all of us.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:33 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Please tell us how guns are as easy to buy as eggs. Like, have you ever bought a gun?
First, a ton of stores sell them. From small private owned to big chains such as Walmart.

Gun shows happen nearly every weekend.

You can get one from a friend or neighbor.

Of all of these methods only in store purchases require background checks, which are just a string of simple questions. Less than 1% of people are actually denied through these checks and social security numbers are freaken optional!

I could walk into a gun show and walk out of it with a gun this weekend if I wish.

As far as your question of whether I have ever purchased a gun, I didn't need to. My father merely gave some to me. A .357 Magnum and an HK semi. I used them when I was younger and gave them back. At no point was I required to take a gun safety course, or get my mental health checked out.

How many of these shooters have obtained their guns illegally? As far as I know, most of them were all legally obtained guns.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:10 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
First, a ton of stores sell them. From small private owned to big chains such as Walmart.

Gun shows happen nearly every weekend.

You can get one from a friend or neighbor.

Of all of these methods only in store purchases require background checks, which are just a string of simple questions.
So, you've never experienced what you have to do to buy a gun in CT.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:37 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
While CT crimes have gone down with better gun control don't forget.... states like Vermont, Maine, NH, Wyoming with basically no gun control aside from mandated stuff, have lower crimes.
NFN but nobody lives in those states.

It is much different in high population states.

NC and NJ both have about the same population. 9M+

NJ has the toughest gun laws. Almost impossible to get a carry permit.

NC has reasonable gun laws, background, mental health, no sales if criminal history.

I lived 65 + years in NJ and never had the need or fear of gun violence to want a gun or permit.

Now I live in NC and there is much more gun violence (a lot of it domestic) plus plenty of armed robberies I don't feel as safe when outside the home as I did in NJ. As result I am now a gun owner and carry permit holder but for me only in my car.

It is total nonsense to say less guns equals more crimes just as it is to say more guns means less crime.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:48 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

626,000 in Vermont
1.3 Million in Maine

I wouldn't say "nobody" lives there BUT... Sounds like you agree it's also about population, goons, & savages. How about we break it down per county in each state. Staying on topic, I wonder how Litchfield county shooting crime looks compared to Fairfield or Hartford.

Trust me.. I understand how it feels safer knowing the guy next to you while your shopping at a store is not carrying a weapon, but we're talking about criminals who buy or steal them then use it on people who are not equipped to protect themselves. That should make you feel unsafe.

Good to know history as well.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:54 AM

684 posts, read 812,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

NC and NJ both have about the same population. 9M+

NJ has the toughest gun laws. Almost impossible to get a carry permit.

NC has reasonable gun laws, background, mental health, no sales if criminal history.

I lived 65 + years in NJ and never had the need or fear of gun violence to want a gun or permit.

Now I live in NC and there is much more gun violence (a lot of it domestic) plus plenty of armed robberies I don't feel as safe when outside the home as I did in NJ. As result I am now a gun owner and carry permit holder but for me only in my car.

It is total nonsense to say less guns equals more crimes just as it is to say more guns means less crime.
I lived in NJ for 18 years , you are very off on your assessment or not being honest. NJ has a big problem with guns , not so much in the nicer suburbs but there still is crime all over. A carry permit doesn't make a difference , anyone can carry its the matter of being a criminal or a law abiding citizen.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:59 AM

684 posts, read 812,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think a lot of this discussion doesn't reflect the actual proposals that are on the table. No one wants to confiscate guns unilaterally.

I think what IS on the table is:

(A) Improved and mandatory background checks
(B) Longer wait periods
(C) Improved coordination between clinicians and authorities on those who might be dangerous.

I support the right of law-abiding, sane citizens to own guns. Personally, I think it's unnecessary and a bit nuts to own your own arsenal, but, I don't know what can be done about that...

I hope that Connecticut takes an active approach on the three items above to, perhaps, improve safety for all of us.

What? CT has a good system for guns, they went as far as banning certain clips and weapons which I don't think is right. You must not know how the gun laws in Ct work or never spent time at a range with people.

The problem is certain states are lax with their gun laws which I agree need to tighten it up, but we also need our authorities to do their job and screen everyone appropriately and hold off on any red flags. So much has slipped thru the system because ours laws are NOT being enforced properly , broken healthcare system , and lazy ass people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut