Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: University of Connecticut vs University of Rochester
University of Connecticut 8 61.54%
U of R 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:20 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
UConn is a division 1 school in most sports, I think U of R is division 3, so I would think cross country at UConn would be better. No real idea, though.

UConn was very good in engineering when I was there, and I believe it remains as very good in engineering. For computer engineering, though, I think Roch Inst of Tech (RIT) would be better than U of R?
Granted, it was 30 years ago, but I applied to both U of R and RIT for Computer Science and found them both actually similar for CS and Engineering (I didn't go to either, I ended up at RPI in Troy, NY)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 07:08 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Granted, it was 30 years ago, but I applied to both U of R and RIT for Computer Science and found them both actually similar for CS and Engineering (I didn't go to either, I ended up at RPI in Troy, NY)
Interesting - I had gone to RIT specifically because their Computer Engineering program was highly regarded and I liked the internship program they offered. UConn at the time did not offer Computer Engineering - if you wanted to finesse your way to something like a computer engineering major, you probably had to take Electrical Engineering and minor in Computer Science.

I ended up leaving RIT and Computer Engineering, though, as I felt like I was WAY behind a lot of the other kids coming into the program at the time in terms of math & science (My small town high school didn't offer much in the way of advanced math and/or AP classes, whereas kids from NYC schools like Stuyvesant were a full year or more ahead of me.)

I ended up at UConn as a business major.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
If you are going for computer science, I would choose neither, quite frankly. I don't know if you mentioned where you're from but neither is a top computer science program.

For computer science, I'd look at UMASS Amherst in this area. It's a top 25 program, with a couple of well-known faculty members.

I'd also warn you, however, most students switch majors during their career, so you might think of best fit in addition to being strong in your major. If I was choosing between UR and UCONN, I'd go with UConn...

Many years ago I won the Xerox Scholarship, which, at the time included a free ride. I wound up turning it down because I didn't like UR. Where I did go was a whopping $900 a semester. How times have changed.
This may be a good option. I know someone who had lower GPA in a competitive high school but similar SAT's and they were accepted into UMass with a $6,000 annual merit scholarship. URI offered $11,000. Other schools offered more (up to $15,000 per year). These helped bring the cost closer to the in-state tuition at their state's school.

The OP needs to keep in mind that most schools will offer merit scholarships to attract certain types of students. State schools may try to draw students from other states and different backgrounds to better round out their student body. SUNY will likely not offer a lot, if anything, to a student from New York but then again, in-state tuition is much cheaper than out-of-state at other schools. The OP should likely apply to multiple schools and see which one offers the best financial packages. I know kids that applied to as many 15 different schools and played one against the other for merit scholarship financial assistance (loans and work options are really not as important IMHO). This really is a game so they need to play it as well as they can. It is not easy. I wish them the best. Jay

Old 10-05-2015, 03:17 PM

660 posts, read 658,456 times
So I have thought about it more. The other seniors on the Cross Country Team all seem to be looking at other SUNY Schools. Also a few universities are visiting my High School, and believe it or not the University of Connecticut is one of them. Some SUNY Schools are visiting also.

I have not completely ruled out Oregon because I thought of their athletic program and some world famous runners have came from there, one of them is Steve Prefontaine. Also I looked down in the Southeast but completely ruled them out because it seems that in FL, GA, SC, or NC is that the colleges are either very good and hard to get into or they are schools not as good. Also I would not want to run 5Ks in 90 degree weather.

The University of Massachusetts has caught my eye such as UMASS Amherst.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:13 PM

660 posts, read 658,456 times
The schools that I have researched so far. The percentage shows the odds prepscholar gives me of being accepted with my SAT Score along with the average SAT Score.

University of Oregon (84.62%, 1664)
Binghamton University, State University of New York (33.91%, 1910)
Syracuse University (60.07%, 1730)
University of Massachusetts Amherst (99.27%, 1208)
University at Buffalo, State University of New York (99.15%, 1161)
University of Connecticut (54.0%, 1840)
Stony Brook University (39.31%, 1837)
University of Rochester (19.9%, 2005)

Old 10-05-2015, 06:41 PM

814 posts, read 911,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
My only beef with U of R is that it is not a Division I School. From the exterior, the campus looked beautiful after spending two days up there with my High School Cross Country Team. Although on prepscholar, with an 1840 SAT Score their acceptance calculator shows I only have an 19.9% chance of being accepted and the average SAT score is over 2000. At the University of Connecticut, I have a 54% chance of being accepted and it is a Division I school. Although the academics rankings at UConn is lower than the U of R. I think I am going to research more colleges, although I doubt I will find a college that is 100% perfect.

I noticed that some people have recommended schools such as the University of Oregon and Virginia Tech, but I would like to stay in the Northeast.
If you want engineering VT or MIT. If you want sports SEC, ACC, the northern schools are not football schools, UConn or Syracuse. for basketball sure but they wouldnt stand a chance against Alabama, TCU, Florida Gators, Florida State Seminoles, Auburn, Clemson, or even the Virginia Tech Hokies in football.

Hosted a little football party Saturday night as the Gators took care of Ole Miss in the swamp!!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
In June of 2016, I am graduating from my senior year of HS. I am looking to major in computer engineering and I run for Cross Country and Track. I have never visited either school but have seen U of R after a Cross Country Invitational. My SAT score is 1840, ACT is 27 and have a GPA of 3.8. I hope to visit both universities and submit my application/recommendations by mid-October. I am going to ask the same question in the Rochester Forum, but how is the computer engineering program and cross country team at the University of Connrcticut, and as a school is it better/worse than U of R?
No contest. UConn is not an AAU school. University of Rochester IS an AAU school. The designation implies a TON of verifiable quality points, not the least of which include contributions to world capabilities. If UConn COULD be an AAU school, it WOULD be an AAU school, and the powers that be would throw their last dollar at it. Well, short of funding the pig trough.

Put it another way. You can GET a job in Silicon Valley out of Rochester. You cannot get past the door guards out of UConn.

It doesn't help that UConn's medical school lost its accreditation for a couple of years right around the 2000s recession.

In a world that is harsh on special snowflakes, UConn wants to be a special snowflake. Just because. You know. It showed up.

Best wishes, Jane

Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
No contest. UConn is not an AAU school. University of Rochester IS an AAU school. The designation implies a TON of verifiable quality points, not the least of which include contributions to world capabilities. If UConn COULD be an AAU school, it WOULD be an AAU school, and the powers that be would throw their last dollar at it. Well, short of funding the pig trough.

Put it another way. You can GET a job in Silicon Valley out of Rochester. You cannot get past the door guards out of UConn.

It doesn't help that UConn's medical school lost its accreditation for a couple of years right around the 2000s recession.

In a world that is harsh on special snowflakes, UConn wants to be a special snowflake. Just because. You know. It showed up.

Best wishes, Jane
True enough, but then again, neither does Dartmouth plus Silicon Valley is way overrated these days. Regardless of AAU status, I would caution OP to think long and hard about assuming that much debt this early in his life for what is otherwise a mid-level school.

I'm sure AAU matters way more in academics. I can tell you right now in the biotech industry we care way more about experience than school. If I had the choice between a central ct state university student with 2-3 years experience and solid references versus a recent Yale grad with only lab rotation experience, I would take the former any day.and that's yale. I would care even less still if they were from "UofR".

Overall, unless it's one of the top 20 schools which are all universally recognized, the specific program matters much more than the school.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:09 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
True enough, but then again, neither does Dartmouth plus Silicon Valley is way overrated these days. Regardless of AAU status, I would caution OP to think long and hard about assuming that much debt this early in his life for what is otherwise a mid-level school.

I'm sure AAU matters way more in academics. I can tell you right now in the biotech industry we care way more about experience than school. If I had the choice between a central ct state university student with 2-3 years experience and solid references versus a recent Yale grad with only lab rotation experience, I would take the former any day.and that's yale. I would care even less still if they were from "UofR".

Overall, unless it's one of the top 20 schools which are all universally recognized, the specific program matters much more than the school.
Yup.

Having actually worked in Silicon Valley, and continuing to do business there, most companies don't give a rat's rump where you went to school. Most interviews go like this:

"Hi, How are You?"

"Ok, Let's see you code"

Plenty of college drop outs and self-taught English majors working successfully in SV. Stamford will just about guarantee you a job. Beyond that, skills are the first element.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:39 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,974,857 times
Have you actually spoke to the coaches of any of these track teams? You aren't going to just go to a school and attempt to walk-on to the track team are you? If you are a senior you should be well into the recruiting process by now. If you are not then I would not worry about the quality of a school's track team because you aren't going to be on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: