Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:35 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
That's the problem, 120 miles away. I would like to step out of my home and if I fee like it and eat a Cuban sandwich at 3 am or eat Chinese at 5am or go and hangout with 100 other people in some cool park with a view.
where in CT do you live? If not town, county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 02:35 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
Quote:
That's the problem, 120 miles away. I would like to step out of my home and if I fee like it and eat a Cuban sandwich at 3 am or eat Chinese at 5am or go and hangout with 100 other people in some cool park with a view.
That's a really tall order there my friend. Even my friends who live in NYC and other large cities, rarely (if ever) do such a thing.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:16 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
And I bet you'll get a lot of satisfaction in doing so.

And I'll still live in a beautiful home, in a beautiful place where I can be fishing in 5 minutes, be in Boston or NY in two hours and enjoy the warmth and comfort of life-long friends and family. In the end that's a lot more important to me than anything GE does.
You are the typical Democratic voter in this state

Don't listen to reason and stick your head in the sand rather than face the truth

You can't face the truth and neither can any of the voters in this state

Old 10-08-2015, 05:30 AM

720 posts, read 919,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
where in CT do you live? If not town, county.
West Hartford- full time job in Hartford and a side business usually around New Britain/Bristol (flipping properties). I go to nyc as often as I can, I take often trips to Europe, Miami at least once a year, but coming back here each time after you have visited a big city with tons of things to do is depressing.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:19 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
Quote:
West Hartford- full time job in Hartford and a side business usually around New Britain/Bristol (flipping properties). I go to nyc as often as I can, I take often trips to Europe, Miami at least once a year, but coming back here each time after you have visited a big city with tons of things to do is depressing.
Well..........who DOESN'T feel depressed when coming back from a nice vacation?? Most of us do.

You've got to realize that there is a BIG difference between what you see in a place when you visit for a weekend (or even a week or two overseas) versus what it is like to live there permanantly.

For me, as much fun as it SEEMS like living in the far Bahamas would be, I know that live there as a permanant resident would be drastically different that when I am there on vacation, even though it seems like paradise within paradise as a tourist.

You don't even know how easyyyy you have it living just 120 miles from NYC. That is NOT far at all. Add another zero to that number and that's how far I have to travel to visit my most favorite destination.

With all due respect, you really don't have much perspective, and it shows everytime you post.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Well..........who DOESN'T feel depressed when coming back from a nice vacation?? Most of us do.

You've got to realize that there is a BIG difference between what you see in a place when you visit for a weekend (or even a week or two overseas) versus what it is like to live there permanantly.

For me, as much fun as it SEEMS like living in the far Bahamas would be, I know that live there as a permanant resident would be drastically different that when I am there on vacation, even though it seems like paradise within paradise as a tourist.

You don't even know how easyyyy you have it living just 120 miles from NYC. That is NOT far at all. Add another zero to that number and that's how far I have to travel to visit my most favorite destination.

With all due respect, you really don't have much perspective, and it shows everytime you post.
I get what you are saying! I am happy my family didn't settle in Oklahoma perhaps but still CT is just not the most vibrant place to live, that's all I am saying.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
I get what you are saying! I am happy my family didn't settle in Oklahoma perhaps but still CT is just not the most vibrant place to live, that's all I am saying.
Which is also good since you do not have to fight for things here. I know a young person (25) who just moved to Boston at the encouragement of his GF and HATES it. It is crowded. His commute is not pleasant (overcrowded transit). There are long waits to get into all those wonderful restaurants and bars people point to and say "look how wonderful they are". It is noisy and polluted. There is often great entertainment (bands, concerts, etc.) but everyone is trying to get into those and they are very expensive. The rents are significantly higher and good ones difficult to find. He got a nice increase in pay to move there but most of that increase is eaten up by the rent increase and higher food costs. And his chances of owning a home in or near Boston are much lower since he needs a lot more money to live there. I would not be surprised if he comes back to Connecticut at the end of his lease next year. There is good and bad with any place you live. It is personal opinion which is more important to you. Jay

Old 10-08-2015, 08:24 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,849 times
Quote:
So maybe West Hartford isnt the place for you but somewhere down the shore would be better. I dont know just saying. I've never lived in WH but always got the impression while there are young people there, it is also pretty family oriented.

At the end of the day, only you have the power to change your situation, Jay can tell you that Boston is an expensive city and that there is a long wait to get into the best restaurants (which may be true but is also true for restaurants in most towns/cities anywhere if they are good).

Dont be one of those people that 15 years down the road regretted that they never went out and tried other places and have become miserable in their surrounding.

I would also agree with other posters here saying that it may also just be you and that you may be unhappy no matter where you are.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
So maybe West Hartford isnt the place for you but somewhere down the shore would be better. I dont know just saying. I've never lived in WH but always got the impression while there are young people there, it is also pretty family oriented.

At the end of the day, only you have the power to change your situation, Jay can tell you that Boston is an expensive city and that there is a long wait to get into the best restaurants (which may be true but is also true for restaurants in most towns/cities anywhere if they are good).

Dont be one of those people that 15 years down the road regretted that they never went out and tried other places and have become miserable in their surrounding.

I would also agree with other posters here saying that it may also just be you and that you may be unhappy no matter where you are.

I agree, I have thought about moving to Stamford, this would be perfect as I can be in NYC within 45 minutes.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:00 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
I agree, I have thought about moving to Stamford, this would be perfect as I can be in NYC within 45 minutes.
Come on down, you'll love it. We have some of the finest dining and nightlife in the state, and not just in Stamford. Westport/Norwalk/Fairfield together boast some of the best restaurants around easily rivaling New Haven. And yes, NY is just down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut