Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:41 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
And we have have friends in town who commute to the city who frequently ask or beg me if my company in Norwalk is hiring, they will kill to get out of that situation.
I agree with them. I could never do that kind of commute every day but a lot of people do. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:43 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The animosity lately on this forum toward high performing school districts is comical. Like nothing I've seen before. Thankfully it's only a small few [vocal] posters displaying this.
Animosity toward high performing systems? No rudeness about struggling systems where people still manage to get into superb colleges? Not sure what your motive is here, but if you want to remind me over and over again that my son is in a failing school and must be a loser because of it (or that you're better....or my other kids must be better than him)...then go ahead. I know that isn't the truth.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:52 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please do not start bickering and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 10-15-2015, 12:42 PM

37 posts, read 49,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieG2013 View Post
Hey guys! I was hoping to get some insight into these two places. My husband and I want to move to the area- he has a job in NYC, so we don't want to move too far out to make the commute too long for him. We want to buy a starter home in either Stamford or Norwalk. We don't care about school districts too much, as we plan to move out to better school-district areas once we have kids that are old enough for schools, so thats not a factor. For us, its all about being able to re-sell the home when the time comes.

Obviously barring housing crashes and all that, for the 450-575k range, which town do you guys see/know having a better resell value? As a starter home, it would probably be a smaller home, 3 bed, 2 bath (thats what we are looking for at least).
I've lived in Stamford for a long time and there was a brief period of living in Norwalk few years back.
That essentially doubled my commute (though not to the city but towards it) from 30 min to an hour.
Just for sheer commute to the city I'd go with Stamford. Otherwise your husband would only come home to sleep.
Then also if he is to take the train - getting to the train station is "fun" in itself lately with all new rentals around train station which increased traffic in the past year. So if you were to move into "house area" - High Ridge road, North Stamford, Springdale - further from downtown you should also figure out how would you get to the train station and how much time it would take on top of that.
Anything close to downtown and within walk-able distance of restaurants, shopping, train station has been converted into condos/apartment buildings.

But of course you can take a car to NYC via Merritt parkway. It is a beutiful ride in fall. But you get to pay for that with any rain/snow slowing down to the crawl with no escape like I-95 has.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,227 times
Thanks everyone! It seems like Stamford is the clear vote (which is honestly what we are leaning towards) so its good to know more people would look there- it makes it easier for the resale.

As for everyone else who talked about schools and all that- doesn't matter. Based on my job, we will either be moving to London in 5-7 years, or will be making enough to move to a 'lily white' town with better schools, so either way we will be in Ridgefield, Westport or somewhere in Westchester 5-7 years from now, but thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:43 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieG2013 View Post
Hey guys! I was hoping to get some insight into these two places. My husband and I want to move to the area- he has a job in NYC, so we don't want to move too far out to make the commute too long for him. We want to buy a starter home in either Stamford or Norwalk. We don't care about school districts too much, as we plan to move out to better school-district areas once we have kids that are old enough for schools, so thats not a factor. For us, its all about being able to re-sell the home when the time comes.

Obviously barring housing crashes and all that, for the 450-575k range, which town do you guys see/know having a better resell value? As a starter home, it would probably be a smaller home, 3 bed, 2 bath (thats what we are looking for at least).
I live in Trumbull but I was born and raised in Stamford and I give the edge overall to Stamford. In your price range I would say the best resale would be the "mid ridges" or Newfield. The mid ridges comprise of High Ridge Road and Long Ridge Road area between Bull's Head and the Parkway. My brother and I bought our houses around the same time for the same price. He in the mid ridges and I am in Trumbull. His house has gone up much more than mine.

I think the value of a house going up is in relation to it's proximity to NYC. I believe Stamford would go up overall a little more than Norwalk.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:45 PM

35 posts, read 73,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I live in Trumbull but I was born and raised in Stamford and I give the edge overall to Stamford. In your price range I would say the best resale would be the "mid ridges" or Newfield.
I'll agree with this. I bought in the midridges/newfield area 2 years ago and I commute to the city every day. I had a lot of concerns about the commute and while it's obviously not ideal, it really isn't that bad. I however am grateful that I live in Stamford and not Norwalk. Not only do I not want an addtional 15 minutes train time tacked on, Stamford has the benefit of being an express stop and a high volume of trains coming and going. It's nice to not have to worry about getting out of work at a specific time to not miss a specific train or wait an additional half hour for the next one. There's so many trains stopping at Stamford that if you miss one there is generally another within 10 mins and that alone for me gives Stamford the edge.

I'll also say that I find the midridges/Newfield area to be perfect in terms of having a nice suburban feel but being convenient to downtown and other amenities, including the train.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:46 AM

52 posts, read 73,574 times
I would look at both Stamford and Norwalk and get a feel for the different neighborhoods to see which you like better. Do you need a list of neighborhoods; great shopping and restaurants you want to come see for yourself? Just let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut