U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 05:40 PM

175 posts, read 162,203 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm trying to decide where to move - still. I've gotten some good information about various parts of the country, and I've come to the conclusion that going west anywhere is not for me for various and sundry reasons.

I live in the Midwest, I'm a single woman, 61, professional, and I'm looking for a change. I am aware nowhere is perfect. I am thinking now about CT. I've never been there so I really need to get some good suggestions.

Here's what am looking for:

Safe, pretty, affordable, possibly a college nearby, good shopping, veterinarians, hospitals. I would like to get involved in community activities, go back to school. I also want to be able to meet people of my own age, but not necessarily retired. People who are involved, active and educated. I'd also like to be about 30-45 minutes from a bigger city and airport. Being near the water would be great as well.

Ok....what do you think? Any great suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 06:13 PM

7,533 posts, read 945,552 times
Not affordable---this from someone who is 64, works for the state, is 2 years away from retirement and is chomping at the bit to get the h*ll out of here.....

Old 10-10-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Not affordable---this from someone who is 64, works for the state, is 2 years away from retirement and is chomping at the bit to get the h*ll out of here.....
Unless you are more specific, this reply isn't helpful....

Last edited by CuppaTea; 10-10-2015 at 06:56 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 06:57 PM

Anybody?

Old 10-10-2015, 07:01 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,181,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
Anybody?

The coastal Southeast ...NC, SC, and GA...

Old 10-10-2015, 07:02 PM

too hot...

Old 10-10-2015, 07:12 PM

6,401 posts, read 9,383,692 times
What is your price range? Prices vary widely in different parts of the state?

Old 10-10-2015, 07:26 PM

I'd be renting initially and would like to pay around $1100-1500/mo. to start.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:26 PM

7,533 posts, read 945,552 times
Check out this COL calculator on CNN Money and do a comparison of where your are now to where you want to be....

Cost of living: How far will my salary go in another city? - CNNMoney

I'm originally from Upstate NY (small town outside of Buffalo) and I've lived in CT since 1990. We moved here from MA because hubby got a job here. I was fortunate (?) enough to get a job in an academic institution supported by the state. Fast forward 25 years. I'm divorced and am spending almost half my monthly take home pay on a 1 bedroom townhouse that is by no means "luxury." In an ironic twist, ex-hub lost his 100K job and ended up moving to Texas because he figured he had better job prospects there (AND besides, his girlfriend lives there). I'm only here until kid #2 graduates from said "academic institution" and is on her own.

Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful area of the country (especially if you like trees) but I'm a beach/sunset person and living anywhere near water in this state is way out of reach for me financially--and the LI Sound is 1.5 hrs away besides. I don't find the people here particularly friendly--but then again I was raised in the Northeast and face it--we're not known for our warmth. While the kids were growing up we lived in a suburb 20 min. away from Hartford whose main industry seems to be the school system itself. The parents were more cliquish than the kids were.

Now that I'm single again I initially went the Match.com and OurTime route. Seems like all the unattached men are living in Springfield MA--which is OK if you're living in Enfield, I guess. I even tried a few Meet-Up social groups but I ended up travelling 30 minutes to an hour for happy hour after work--by that time happy hour is over. I live and work "East of the River" which sometimes feels like it dropped off the face of the earth--really, nothing exciting going on over here....

The BEST part about living in CT though is that I'm about 1.5 hrs from Boston and 2.5 hrs from NYC. I like to go to small venue indy rock concerts and all the best acts go to Boston or NYC. The problem is that I have no one to go with me.

According to USA Today in 2014 CT was the 7th most expensive state (at least it made the bottom of the list!)

7 most expensive states to live in the U.S.

7. Connecticut

Cost of Living Index: 125.2
Grocery Index: 124
Housing Index: 136.1
Utilities Index: 116.3
Transportation Index: 119
Health Index: 120.4
Misc.: 122.8

In Connecticut, notice how every index category is above the benchmark index of 100, and food, healthcare and miscellaneous costs — like entertainment and clothing — are particularly high. The median home value in the Northeastern state is $240,000 and homes generally list for a median price of around $275,000 (or $162 per square foot). If you rent, you're also looking at a hefty housing payment of around $1,500 per month, as per the Zillow reported median.

In Hartford, utilities in a small apartment average around $210, and to go out for dinner (at a mid-range restaurant) and a movie with a friend, you're probably going to pay around $75.

Assuming $75,000 is the ideal income, you'd need to earn close to $94,000 to achieve the same standard of living that $75k would offer in a state closer to the benchmark, like Florida.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:36 PM

Wow, that IS more specific...thanks.
According to that calculator, I'd be better off looking at Portland, ME or Manchester, NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut