Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:51 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times

Advertisements

so, if the boy didn't jump on her, knock her down and break her wrist, would she have sued the boy for not getting the typical exuberant 8 year old hug and hurting her fee-fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 12:13 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
It's the homeowner policy from the house in the parent's name. You really think an 8 year old would have 127K lying around and someone would want to take it. Come on, your better than that.
You would be surprised. The kid is from Westport, a very affluent community. His mother has died so there may be a trust fund in his name. Why else would a person sue an 8 year old and not the parents? Jay

Old 10-13-2015, 12:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
"Although hurt, Connell said, she didn’t complain to the boy at the time. “It was his birthday party and I didn’t want to upset him,” she told the jury."

But it has taken four years to decide to sue your nephew? Since the sister died only last year, it sounds to me like there has been some other family issues about her sister's estate. But to take it out on a kid, that's cold.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:01 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You would be surprised. The kid is from Westport, a very affluent community. His mother has died so there may be a trust fund in his name. Why else would a person sue an 8 year old and not the parents? Jay
true, but in this case it's an electrician from Norwalk, I know the name. Street and house is pretty modest for Westport.
She may be a scumbag after all, but just seems very outlandish, might be more to the story.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:06 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
That was quick. 25 min of deliberation. She gets nada.
Jury: Aunt who sued 8-year-old gets zero - Connecticut Post

Old 10-13-2015, 02:09 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
I take this to mean she is trying to get this money from the boy. The boy would not have a homeowner's policy. He may have money or part of the family house in trust from his mother. Either way the woman is way off base here suing her nephew. Sounds like a b**** to me. Jay
At first I thought it must be from an insurance policy. Maybe because it is the same family she knows the boy just inherited a large sum of money.

Maybe there is more to the story. I have heard of people doing crazy things when they are left out of wills or think they should have money coming to them that they did not get.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:20 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Let's look at this from a different perspective.

Suppose you are shopping, just leaving a business. As you step through the door, an exuberant eight year old boy on the way to his birthday party comes racing down the street and piles into you, knocking you off your feet. You sustain injuries identical to those the woman in the OP had.

How many of you would retain a lawyer to recoup your uninsured medical expenses, any lost wages, and a bit for "pain and suffering"?

How many of you would have ponied up to pay for treatment of your sister's injuries in this case without being asked? I would.

From the link it is not clear where the injured woman was when the incident happened. If she was not on the boy's family's property (public sidewalk maybe?), any homeowner's insurance may have refused to pay. If there were insurance, I would think the insurance company would be named in the suit, not the boy.

As far as having the case get to court, it is obvious that the boy's father is just as much at fault as the injured woman. Why did he not agree to a settlement before now? Was mediation attempted?

My suspicion is that the father thinks that because it was unintentional (and it was) and the woman is a family member that the father should not have any financial responsibility at all. Personally, I think he should have paid up when the incident happened. The boy did indeed cause the injuries.

The comment about the plate sounds trivial. I would roll my eyes a bit, too. However, I have had a similar injury, and I have residual weakness in the wrist I broke (due to my own carelessness - no one to sue. ). That is all the reference to the plate is designed to show.

The article in the OP was written with a deliberate slant against the woman bringing suit. I suspect it left out a great deal of information.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:35 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Let's look at this from a different perspective.

Suppose you are shopping, just leaving a business. As you step through the door, an exuberant eight year old boy on the way to his birthday party comes racing down the street and piles into you, knocking you off your feet. You sustain injuries identical to those the woman in the OP had.

How many of you would retain a lawyer to recoup your uninsured medical expenses, any lost wages, and a bit for "pain and suffering"?

How many of you would have ponied up to pay for treatment of your sister's injuries in this case without being asked? I would.

From the link it is not clear where the injured woman was when the incident happened. If she was not on the boy's family's property (public sidewalk maybe?), any homeowner's insurance may have refused to pay. If there were insurance, I would think the insurance company would be named in the suit, not the boy.

As far as having the case get to court, it is obvious that the boy's father is just as much at fault as the injured woman. Why did he not agree to a settlement before now? Was mediation attempted?

My suspicion is that the father thinks that because it was unintentional (and it was) and the woman is a family member that the father should not have any financial responsibility at all. Personally, I think he should have paid up when the incident happened. The boy did indeed cause the injuries.

The comment about the plate sounds trivial. I would roll my eyes a bit, too. However, I have had a similar injury, and I have residual weakness in the wrist I broke (due to my own carelessness - no one to sue. ). That is all the reference to the plate is designed to show.

The article in the OP was written with a deliberate slant against the woman bringing suit. I suspect it left out a great deal of information.
Story is going national and she is getting destroyed. Her next lawsuit will be against the CT Post.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:39 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Anyone else think this is a stupid case that should NEVER have gone this far. The woman is a complete jerk IMHO. A complete waste of taxpayers money. I hope she gets the public a** whooping she deserves. Jay

8-year-old Westport boy on trial for exuberance - Connecticut Post
She lost the case and ran for her car. If she was related to me, her wrist would be the last of her worries.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:01 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
true, but in this case it's an electrician from Norwalk, I know the name. Street and house is pretty modest for Westport.
She may be a scumbag after all, but just seems very outlandish, might be more to the story.
Actually the house is pretty nice. Looks to have been a teardown or a major addition/remodel. It is now a 2 story shingled colonial with major dormers on third floor. Pretty nice and worth quite a bit in very pricey Westport. It says the electrician business is closed though so who knows what happened. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut