Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:57 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingtoCT2015 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone- lots of food for thought.

I appreciate the honest thoughts on the commute. To clarify, only my husband would be commuting to GCT, and he doesn't have something lined-up yet. I think some flexibility will need to be a prerequisite for accepting a job in NYC (i.e. working remotely at least one day per week).

I'm intrigued by the suggestion of Stamford. My own knowledge of Stamford stops at the mall and its immediate environs, which I think of as pretty urban. I'm guessing the rest of it has more of a suburban feel?

As I mentioned, we could potentially push up our budget quite a bit higher (although we'd rather not). I've seen Wilton and Weston mentioned quite a bit here as family-friendly, etc., but wouldn't those commutes be just bad if not worse than Fairfield since you need to switch lines?
Westport is one town closer to NY and on the same train line. 600K is bottom of the barrel, 450K doesn't exist. The suggestion of better schools there is beyond ridiculous, maybe win lotto or mega millions.
Northern Stamford is less dense suburban. Springdale/Glenbrook area would be better for your budget. Street traffic in town is chaos and mayhem getting to the train station. There are also jobs in the Stamford area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 07:26 AM

786 posts, read 823,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
The suggestion of better schools there is beyond ridiculous, maybe win lotto or mega millions.
Huh? Westport schools are indeed better than Fairfield. Test scores prove that. Facts are facts.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Huh? Westport schools are indeed better than Fairfield. Test scores prove that. Facts are facts.
Well maybe they should buy a winning mega millions ticket and move there instead

Old 10-27-2015, 09:23 AM

4,452 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingtoCT2015 View Post

I appreciate the honest thoughts on the commute. To clarify, only my husband would be commuting to GCT, and he doesn't have something lined-up yet. I think some flexibility will need to be a prerequisite for accepting a job in NYC (i.e. working remotely at least one day per week).

I'm intrigued by the suggestion of Stamford. My own knowledge of Stamford stops at the mall and its immediate environs, which I think of as pretty urban. I'm guessing the rest of it has more of a suburban feel?
I just saw that your husband does not have a job yet. I am guessing he is in finance. He may be able to find a job in Stamford. There are many finance jobs in Stamford also that pay well.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:43 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
I have noticed an anti- high performing school system/majority Caucasian/higher income community mindset on this forum. Anyone who says Westport schools - which are among the highest ranked in the country - are not excellent either has an agenda or is delusional. Perhaps both.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I have noticed an anti- high performing school system/majority Caucasian/higher income community mindset on this forum. Anyone who says Westport schools - which are among the highest ranked in the country - are not excellent either has an agenda or is delusional. Perhaps both.
Who gives a shat which one is better ranked. One is not relevant for a $450K home budget.
We get it that you rich guys are in the best school districts and that's great, however the rest of us lowlifes have to settle for dumps like Fairfield.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Who gives a shat which one is better ranked. One is not relevant for a $450K home budget.
We get it that you rich guys are in the best school districts and that's great, however the rest of us lowlifes have to settle for dumps like Fairfield.
Let's not be dramatic. I live in a town that has schools ranked nowhere near as high as Westport, nor is my town nearly as expensive. I don't have a nasty resentment over it. It is what it is. Sorry you can't handle reality.

Regarding the 450k budget, there are listings in Westport in the $400s and they aren't condos, but small ranch homes. If one really wanted an academically competitive (some may call a 'Helicopter parent') district, they can certainly afford an entry level home in town.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Let's not be dramatic. I live in a town that has schools ranked nowhere near as high as Westport, nor is my town nearly as expensive. I don't have a nasty resentment over it. It is what it is. Sorry you can't handle reality.

Regarding the 450k budget, there are listings in Westport in the $400s and they aren't condos, but small ranch homes. If one really wanted an academically competitive (some may call a 'Helicopter parent') district, they can certainly afford an entry level home in town.
No nasty resentment, doin' just great, you have no idea.
Just being sarcastic over your's and Beerguy's uppity perspective.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
No nasty resentment, doin' just great, you have no idea.
Just being sarcastic over your's and Beerguy's uppity perspective.
If simply acknowledging statistics - without inserting my personal opinion regarding them - is "uppity", then I think there is a comprehension issue, and not on my end. Or is it bitterness, maybe jealousy? I really don't know what's going on over there.

FWIW, I would prefer to send my kids to a school district like Fairfield over a district like Westport.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Please stop the bickering and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut