Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:26 AM
V&L V&L started this thread

112 posts, read 149,975 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning to move from Princeton, NJ to either CT or MA. I looked at Washington online and liked it very much (I adore cute downtowns with some culture and restaurants, friendly and intelligent people in a naturally stunning setting), however I am a single mother of two kids who works as a therapist, charging between 125 to 200 per hour, and I was wondering of that are could sustain us, or if I needed to move to the Guilford/Madison/Essex/Chester area or if even that is not enough, the Weston/Easton/Wilton/Redding area (there is no way I could afford Greenwich, New Canaan or Westport). Please le me know what you think! Furthermore, any comparison between these three different areas and even specific towns would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 08:05 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V&L View Post
Hello,

I am planning to move from Princeton, NJ to either CT or MA. I looked at Washington online and liked it very much (I adore cute downtowns with some culture and restaurants, friendly and intelligent people in a naturally stunning setting), however I am a single mother of two kids who works as a therapist, charging between 125 to 200 per hour, and I was wondering of that are could sustain us, or if I needed to move to the Guilford/Madison/Essex/Chester area or if even that is not enough, the Weston/Easton/Wilton/Redding area (there is no way I could afford Greenwich, New Canaan or Westport). Please le me know what you think! Furthermore, any comparison between these three different areas and even specific towns would be very much appreciated.
I don't see how you could without a lot o professional contacts to build a referral network. How will you find new clients? Especially in sparse area like Washington?

Perhaps it's more realistic to work for a hospital or clinic while you make the move and get established here? Are you a PhD psychologist or MS/MSW/MA level Therapist? There are opportunities (my SIL is a therapist) but, its difficult to get in to private practice without a referral network built

Old 10-30-2015, 08:18 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
^^^ What they said. Probably have to work with an agency while establishing a client base. Also question is are you a PhD or Licensed Therapist?

Old 10-30-2015, 08:26 AM

I am a licensed therapist, currently working on her PhD.

Would the Guilford/Madison/Essex/Chester area be any better than the Washington/Roxbury/Litchfield area in terms of population and people who would want and can afford psychological services?

Old 10-30-2015, 08:28 AM

Also, is there any hospital or clinic that could work in those areas? Thank you for your input!

Old 10-30-2015, 08:33 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V&L View Post
I am a licensed therapist, currently working on her PhD.

Would the Guilford/Madison/Essex/Chester area be any better than the Washington/Roxbury/Litchfield area in terms of population and people who would want and can afford psychological services?
That's the area I live in-- or right next to it.

Judging by the number of practices I see around, the answer to your second question is yes. It's a lovely area, however, I still have to wonder how you'll establish a practice without a referral network...

Old 10-30-2015, 08:36 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Guilford/Madison/Essex/Chester has a greater population that Washington/Litchfield area. But you still need to get established which can take time. The two hospitals serving that area are Yale-New Haven and Middlesex in Middletown. Both have good sized satellite clinics along the shoreline.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 AM

Probably have to work with a network and then set up a referral network. Well don't look to the state cutting a lot of services to DMHAS and Disability. Shut down several facilities and state hospital. Corrections though does have good number of openings time to time.

What area or specialty are you interested in is the question. Because Washington is an area with a few adolescent programs for behavioral issue's. There is Wellsprings, GlenHolme, and a residential for female adolescents with eating disorders up that way. Bit of a drive, but also Danbury has FCI an adolescent treatment center. Great group of people. They recently expanded up to Waterbury. Therapist do a lot of work up there. Forgot salary and the organization you have to do this training with them. They really take care of the children up there.

There also is in Litchfield a program/residential for boy's ordered by the court as an alternative to Juvi.

As far as adult's there is Ability Beyond Disability, Catholic Charities, Institute of Professional Practice, ARC, and the Morris Foundation.

You also have Wellmore and the Wheeler Clinic. As far as hospitals you have St. Mary's, Waterbury/Grandview, Danbury, and Charlotte Hungerford (they just opened a new outpatient clinic).

Now living in Washington it is the number one school district in the state last I read a few month's ago.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Probably have to work with a network and then set up a referral network. Well don't look to the state cutting a lot of services to DMHAS and Disability. Shut down several facilities and state hospital. Corrections though does have good number of openings time to time.

What area or specialty are you interested in is the question. Because Washington is an area with a few adolescent programs for behavioral issue's. There is Wellsprings, GlenHolme, and a residential for female adolescents with eating disorders up that way. Bit of a drive, but also Danbury has FCI an adolescent treatment center. Great group of people. They recently expanded up to Waterbury. Therapist do a lot of work up there. Forgot salary and the organization you have to do this training with them. They really take care of the children up there.

There also is in Litchfield a program/residential for boy's ordered by the court as an alternative to Juvi.

As far as adult's there is Ability Beyond Disability, Catholic Charities, Institute of Professional Practice, ARC, and the Morris Foundation.

You also have Wellmore and the Wheeler Clinic. As far as hospitals you have St. Mary's, Waterbury/Grandview, Danbury, and Charlotte Hungerford (they just opened a new outpatient clinic).

Now living in Washington it is the number one school district in the state last I read a few month's ago.

What a great response, thank you! I love Washington from what I have seen as well, I am just wondering if the area would work for private practice on the long run or not, and also the difference between the Washington/ Litchfield/ Roxbury area and the Guilford/Madison/Essex/Chester area other than latter has greater population (but still relatively rural, from what I understand), in terms of natural setting/beauty, mentality of people and overall feel. Any thoughts on that?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:46 AM

Can't say much about the shore not too familiar with the area. I say if we're let's saying short term goal best place to start a practice be New Milford area if want to keep it rural. It's a 10-15 minute backboard drive from Washington. It's a bit of a gateway to Litchfield area coming from Danbury. Few roads in come from New York, Sharon, Kent, Bridgewater, Brookfield, Gaylordsville, and New Preston CT. Decent proximity to an urban area as Danbury area as well. You receive decent mix of clients up there which you can specialize in. You have palliative care up that way, nursing homes, homeless, mentally disabled individuals/group home's in the area, you have some behavioral issue children, and alcohol related issue's as well. Huge thing and most of CT is heroin MCCA just received a substantial amount of money for service's in the area. I think there is two to three rehab facilities going towards the Kent area.

You are near New Milford Hospital, which is now owned by Western CT Health Network. They are a growing hospital from Danbury that has expanded, merged, and bought a lot of healthcare service's in the area.

Few corrections meant Sherman it borders up to (Part of Fairfield County why I don't know ha). Also in terms of the are mental health issue's as well.

However, don't let that steer you away from New Milford it's an amazing community oriented town. Festival's, fairs, road races, duck races, and so forth you name it. Very volunteer and church oriented. There is a good number of schools there. Think an Alternative school as well. They restructured school a bit made one just a primary it's right on the Washington town line border. The principal there is amazing! New Milford has a really good special education program. There is one private school in the town, and three to four in the area.

New Milford is situated between 2 well known psychiatric facilities Silver Hill Hospital and Austen Riggs Center.

Housing wise it's a mix of low to high property value. I mean there is some wealthy individuals a few celebrities used to or still live in the area.

Last edited by RunD1987; 10-30-2015 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut