U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2015, 03:21 PM
V&L V&L started this thread
 
112 posts, read 114,148 times
Reputation: 77

Advertisements

Hello,

I have to make up my mind whether to move to CT or MA. As a therapist with two small kids, I want to be near affluent towns to be able to establish a new practice and of course, around good public schools. Both CT and MA are gorgeous, they have similar weather... how do they differ, in terms of the people and the overall culture and feel of its towns around the so-called "best" areas (near Boston, like Lexington/Wellesley/Dover in MA and Weston/Wilton/Easton/Redding in CT? (I left our Greenwich, New Canaan and Westport in CT and Weston in CT as I would not be able to afford them). A little about me: I just turned 40, I am recently divorced, I am originally from Europe and have studied art, philosophy and psychology (have degree in all of these). I lived in Budapest, Vienna, London, San Francisco, Manhattan, and currently in Princeton, NJ. I love the outdoors and NEED to live somewhere where there is peace and beautiful nature around me, yet I am relatively close by to some cultural life and good restaurants (within an hour though, it does not need to be next door). Please give me some advice, I am losing my mind over trying to decide where to go. Oh, I also propagate antique roses, so if you are aware of major climate differences between MA and CT, please let me know!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2015, 03:42 PM
 
Location: JC
1,772 posts, read 1,193,999 times
Reputation: 1558
I can think of multiple good things about both the outskirts of Boston and many towns in Connecticut. If hitting the great outdoors Boston is a bit closer to the rural upper New England states so I'd give that area an advantage for you.

According to the plant hardiness zone map most of Connecticut excluding the NW shouldn't be much different than outside Boston. From a winter weather view Boston will usually get more snow however.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 03:43 PM
 
4,628 posts, read 4,961,825 times
Reputation: 2114
welcome to New England.

While I love Connecticut, based on your background of having lived in some great cities around the world, you might be happier close to Boston. While you can easily get to NYC form Westport, Wilton, etc, you're just closer to Boston in Lexington, Wellesley or Dover than you would be from NYC in CT.

Weatherwise, you will usually get less snow in Westport than you would in the Boston area and it might be a few degrees warmer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 03:52 PM
 
2,151 posts, read 3,000,519 times
Reputation: 1682
I would say if ur an avid hiker, somewhere around boston would be ideal for relatively short distance to the white mountains....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
29,565 posts, read 46,477,009 times
Reputation: 9154
Quote:
Originally Posted by V&L View Post
Hello,

I have to make up my mind whether to move to CT or MA. As a therapist with two small kids, I want to be near affluent towns to be able to establish a new practice and of course, around good public schools. Both CT and MA are gorgeous, they have similar weather... how do they differ, in terms of the people and the overall culture and feel of its towns around the so-called "best" areas (near Boston, like Lexington/Wellesley/Dover in MA and Weston/Wilton/Easton/Redding in CT? (I left our Greenwich, New Canaan and Westport in CT and Weston in CT as I would not be able to afford them). A little about me: I just turned 40, I am recently divorced, I am originally from Europe and have studied art, philosophy and psychology (have degree in all of these). I lived in Budapest, Vienna, London, San Francisco, Manhattan, and currently in Princeton, NJ. I love the outdoors and NEED to live somewhere where there is peace and beautiful nature around me, yet I am relatively close by to some cultural life and good restaurants (within an hour though, it does not need to be next door). Please give me some advice, I am losing my mind over trying to decide where to go. Oh, I also propagate antique roses, so if you are aware of major climate differences between MA and CT, please let me know!
I am not sure what your price range is or what you expect for your money but those towns you list in Massachusetts are likely as expensive as say Westport or Weston. In fact they may be more. The only houses I see listed there are a couple of condos in Lexington and Welesley and a couple of small homes or condos in Dover.

Which is better for you is kind of subjective. Do you want to remain in an outer area of one of the largest and most important cities in the world, New York or do you want to be in a suburb of the sixth largest city in the country? Both areas are great and there really is little difference. You will be a bit closer to Boston in those towns though so if that makes any difference, good or bad, that is your choice. If travel is important to you, you cannot beat the flights offered from New York airports but then again getting to them can be a nightmare from Connecticut. At least with Boston, you can get to Logan easily. International flights from Bradley in Hartford are kind of limited and often involve traveling to other airports. Again this is kind of your call which is best for you. Personally I like Connecticut but as most people here will be all too quick to tell you, I am biased. Jay
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 04:47 PM
V&L V&L started this thread
 
112 posts, read 114,148 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure what your price range is or what you expect for your money but those towns you list in Massachusetts are likely as expensive as say Westport or Weston. In fact they may be more. The only houses I see listed there are a couple of condos in Lexington and Welesley and a couple of small homes or condos in Dover.

Which is better for you is kind of subjective. Do you want to remain in an outer area of one of the largest and most important cities in the world, New York or do you want to be in a suburb of the sixth largest city in the country? Both areas are great and there really is little difference. You will be a bit closer to Boston in those towns though so if that makes any difference, good or bad, that is your choice. If travel is important to you, you cannot beat the flights offered from New York airports but then again getting to them can be a nightmare from Connecticut. At least with Boston, you can get to Logan easily. International flights from Bradley in Hartford are kind of limited and often involve traveling to other airports. Again this is kind of your call which is best for you. Personally I like Connecticut but as most people here will be all too quick to tell you, I am biased. Jay
Thanks for your reply! In truth, I am torn because if work was not an issue, I would go to a more rural area with a cute downtown where I can afford 3 or more acres (I was considering Washington in CT, for example), but how would I work as a therapist there? Maybe I could compromise and go to Essex or Chester, which are closer to a larger community like Madison. In a more affluent areas, I could maybe afford Wilton or Easton or Redding (I have 500,000 in cash and want no mortgage), for a 2 or 3 bd, maybe. Any thoughts? Also, how is CT thinking and attitude different from MA?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 05:01 PM
 
992 posts, read 2,076,783 times
Reputation: 717
Although it might not be your deciding criterion, you should consider that New York and Boston have starkly different cultures.

Boston is very academically oriented and has a vibrant technology sector, while New York is comparatively more focused around financial industries, high fashion, etc (although you can find anything in New York).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 05:53 PM
V&L V&L started this thread
 
112 posts, read 114,148 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Although it might not be your deciding criterion, you should consider that New York and Boston have starkly different cultures.

Boston is very academically oriented and has a vibrant technology sector, while New York is comparatively more focused around financial industries, high fashion, etc (although you can find anything in New York).
That in fact was helpful, thank you. I used to live in Manhattan and although I love to go and visit, in terms of living, it is a bit too crazy for me to be around all the time. Boston I have only been a couple of times. Do you think that difference also trickles down to the outskirts and affects the way people are in the suburbs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 08:03 PM
 
992 posts, read 2,076,783 times
Reputation: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by V&L View Post
That in fact was helpful, thank you. I used to live in Manhattan and although I love to go and visit, in terms of living, it is a bit too crazy for me to be around all the time. Boston I have only been a couple of times. Do you think that difference also trickles down to the outskirts and affects the way people are in the suburbs?
No question. In my experience, people live near New York so they can earn a New York salary and near Boston so they can be near Boston.

I kind of miss the NYC that produced Simon & Garfunkel's concert in the park (not that I was there), although it seems long gone.

Last edited by nico7; 10-30-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Orange Virginia
814 posts, read 765,098 times
Reputation: 605
Since both offer 4 seasons and pretentious douche bags you just need to decide if you want to be colder in the winter up in Mass or a bit warmer. in the winter down in New York.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top