Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 11:43 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V&L View Post
Thank you so much for the links and info, both on the book store and the theater! And for reassuring me about the crime rate. You are right, we do not feel here in Princeton the Trenton and Newark issues at all. I am warming up to Guilford and Essex more and more! I just discovered that there is a train station in Old Saybrook, only 4 miles to Essex, I presume they go to both NY and Boston! When is the best time to buy a house there? Some areas shut down winter almost completely, here in Princeton that is not the case but still you are always advised to sell and buy during Spring.
I believe Amtrak does stop in Old Saybrook several times a day but a lot of the trains are Shoreline East trains which go into New Haven. From there you can get Metro North trains into Manhattan.

Like most areas, the spring is usually the best time to begin looking for homes. Most people are buying and selling to move over the summer when school is out. Still you can find homes for sale in these towns all year round. There will just likely be a better selection in the spring. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 11:47 AM
V&L V&L started this thread

112 posts, read 149,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Madison has a wonderful independent book store, R.J. Julia. They are always having events such as book readings and signings. Here is a link to their website. Jay

R.J. Julia Booksellers | A great place to meet books...
I am going this weekend to check out Simsbury/Farmington/Avon; is there any other town I should take a look at around there or on my way? This trip is to determine if I like that area more than the Guilford/Essex area, which is so far my favorite.

Also, no one has any info on ballroom dancing in the area? Thank you!

Old 11-04-2015, 12:55 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:

Guilford
Ballroom Dancin Fools - DANCE LESSONS - Branford, CT

Guilford - Arthur Murray Dance Studio & School Connecticut

Essex
https://accessdance.com/dance_lessons/state/CT/essex

Old Saybrook - Ballroom Dance Lessons | Fred Astaire Dance Studios

Old 11-04-2015, 01:21 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
I am going this weekend to check out Simsbury/Farmington/Avon; is there any other town I should take a look at around there or on my way? This trip is to determine if I like that area more than the Guilford/Essex area, which is so far my favorite.

If you like something a bit more rural, you can also check out Canton and the Collinsville area within Canton. Several small shops and restaurants there, and in the summer months, you can rent a kayak or canoe and paddle up and down the Farmington River. If the weather is nice this weekend, it's also a great place to walk along the river and see the fall foliage.

Most of the retail/shopping in Avon, Canton and Simsbury is centered on Route 44, with the Shoppes of Farmington Valley a nice outdoor mall (they show kids movies in the summer on a big screen in the back parking lot there - tons of people brings blankets or lawn chairs and sit outside for the show). With Farmington, you have some shopping in Unionville, or along Route 6 in both Farmington and into Plainville. Simsbury also has restaurants and shops along Hopmeadow Street, which is the main street of the town.

In the Farmington Valley, you can check out these places for ballroom dance:
Steps in Time - Home

West Hartford - Ballroom Dance Lessons | Fred Astaire Dance Studios

Van Dance CT | It Takes You & Us to Dance!

There are several other dance places in the area, but most of those are not for adults. I know the Hartt School offers dance classes as well, but I'm not sure if that is kids only as well, but I would imagine they offer at least some for adults.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
If you like something a bit more rural, you can also check out Canton and the Collinsville area within Canton. Several small shops and restaurants there, and in the summer months, you can rent a kayak or canoe and paddle up and down the Farmington River. If the weather is nice this weekend, it's also a great place to walk along the river and see the fall foliage.

Most of the retail/shopping in Avon, Canton and Simsbury is centered on Route 44, with the Shoppes of Farmington Valley a nice outdoor mall (they show kids movies in the summer on a big screen in the back parking lot there - tons of people brings blankets or lawn chairs and sit outside for the show). With Farmington, you have some shopping in Unionville, or along Route 6 in both Farmington and into Plainville. Simsbury also has restaurants and shops along Hopmeadow Street, which is the main street of the town.

In the Farmington Valley, you can check out these places for ballroom dance:
Steps in Time - Home

West Hartford - Ballroom Dance Lessons | Fred Astaire Dance Studios

Van Dance CT | It Takes You & Us to Dance!

There are several other dance places in the area, but most of those are not for adults. I know the Hartt School offers dance classes as well, but I'm not sure if that is kids only as well, but I would imagine they offer at least some for adults.
I looked it up online and Collinsville seems like a great suggestion, thank you! On a very practical note, how much people pay approximately in Guilford/Essex in property taxes on a $500,000 house (3bd) with maybe 2 acres and no mortgage? And, just as an approximation, on electricity, heat, water and phone/internet, etc.? Thank you!

Old 11-04-2015, 02:43 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Goodspeed Opera House, Gillette Castle, Essex Steam Train, some sluiceway in nearby Old Saybrook which is pretty cool I heard. I can go on. You will enjoy either town. New Haven has some excellent cultural things going on, so enjoy that part and do not be afraid. It's silly to worry about crime in cities you don't even border effecting the town. Talk to most police officers in any small town or suburb and they'll tell you they are more concerned about crime coming from within.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Goodspeed Opera House, Gillette Castle, Essex Steam Train, some sluiceway in nearby Old Saybrook which is pretty cool I heard. I can go on. You will enjoy either town. New Haven has some excellent cultural things going on, so enjoy that part and do not be afraid. It's silly to worry about crime in cities you don't even border effecting the town. Talk to most police officers in any small town or suburb and they'll tell you they are more concerned about crime coming from within.
Thank you !

Old 11-04-2015, 02:57 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
I looked it up online and Collinsville seems like a great suggestion, thank you! On a very practical note, how much people pay approximately in Guilford/Essex in property taxes on a $500,000 house (3bd) with maybe 2 acres and no mortgage? And, just as an approximation, on electricity, heat, water and phone/internet, etc.? Thank you!
Based on a mill rate of 26.10, taxes in Guilford would be 13,050.

Based on a mill rate of 16.20, taxes in Essex would be 8,100

Old 11-04-2015, 03:17 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

That seems high for Guilford. Remember taxes are based on the assessed value of the home which is supposed to be about 70% of the homes real value. A $500,000 home would in theory be assessed at $350,000 so at a mill rate of 26.1 the taxes would be about $9,100 per year. It is best to look at real estate listings in your price range and check the taxes that some websites will provide. I know Berkshire Hathaway has them. Jay

Old 11-04-2015, 03:19 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Not quite correct - you would first need to multiply the $500,000 by 0.7 to get $350,000 assessed value.

So, Guilford at 26.10 would be $9,135

Essex at 16.20 would be $5,670.

Farmington is around 24.1, which would be $8,435
Avon is 28.3, which would be $9,835
Simsbury is a high 37.1, so would be $12,985

I don't know if you'd be able to get 2 acres of land for $500,000 in at least some areas of these towns.

Another thing to consider is that you are more likely to get public utilities (water & sewer) and natural gas in Farmington and Avon. Simsbury, Guilford and Essex are more commonly with oil heat, well water and septic sewage systems. Oil heat can be double the price of natural gas in the winter, though the past year and a half has had lower differences.

Also, you can find public utilities in Simsbury, Essex and Guilford, though it is more rare. You can also find well, septic and oil in Avon and Farmington (especially around Avon Mountain.) I know some people coming from NY and NJ are "shocked" that these otherwise upper middle class towns don't have 100% public utilities and natural gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut