Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 08:42 AM

5 posts, read 6,109 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in the Mystic area, and my husband and I are considering relocating to CT from NYC. My husband works in midtown Manhattan, but his job is flexible and would allow him to work from home 2-3 days/week. He would take the train into NYC (and would be OK with a 2-hour one-way commute, as he can work on the train), whereas I would drive to work (and would prefer a max 1 - 1.25 hour drive if possible).

In considering this move, some questions we have are:

* What would be a good town to live in that would allow me to drive to Mystic and my husband to commute to NYC by train? Are towns around New Haven feasible? One option we were considering is Milford.

* What is the traffic like from the New Haven area to Mystic on I-95 during the morning and evening rush hours?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 08:52 AM

31 posts, read 39,621 times
You'd be traveling opposite the flow of traffic, so the commute would generally be okay.

However, this is CT we're talking about...so it would hardly be stress-free. That segment of I-95 is very narrow and really needs to be six lanes. CT drivers are terrible, so accidents are very frequent. You'll frequently be delayed by 'rubberneckers' gawking at accidents from the other direction...or even at someone pulled over.

That said, you can likely do the commute in about 50 minutes each way. I'd imagine the worst of it would be navigating the surface streets in New Haven just to get to i-95. Waze/Google Maps will help.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:04 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Why anyone would want to spend 4 hrs/day packed in a metal can like sardines while trying to do work is mind boggling, but hey , CT is charming.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:15 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,528 times
yikes, maybe somewhere near new haven.. either way that sounds brutal for ur husband

Old 11-11-2015, 09:23 AM

786 posts, read 823,876 times
I would not take that offer in Mystic purely for your husbands sanity.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:27 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Traffic east of New Haven isn't bad most of the time. Once you're past East Haven, it thins out most of the time. Still, Mystic to New Haven is an hour drive, and to Milford even longer. Every month or so, as well, you get huge backups due to an accident on the bridge that crosses the CT River from Old Saybrook to Old Lyme.

That said, if you have any children, it might be better to live close to one job site so at least one parent can pick up a sick child or attend to after school activities. Mystic (Stonington) itself is a nice town and you have an Amtrak stop in New London for your husband to take the train. Amtrak has WiFi and electrical outlets on their trains. Train leaves NL around 6:30am and gets to NYC around 8:45am

Old 11-11-2015, 10:30 AM

52 posts, read 73,560 times
I would suggest you stay in Fairfield County along the Metro North train line and not go further East than Milford, maybe New Haven at the furthest East. You both will have long commutes. At least Metro North goes into Grand Central Station which will be an easy walk to Midtown work locations for your husband. Do you need a map to look at distances?

Your commute from Milford/New Haven area to Mystic will be going against the traffic so should be a breeze. Do you have children that you need to worry about schools?

Old 11-11-2015, 10:42 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfieldCountyPal View Post
I would suggest you stay in Fairfield County along the Metro North train line and not go further East than Milford, maybe New Haven at the furthest East. You both will have long commutes. At least Metro North goes into Grand Central Station which will be an easy walk to Midtown work locations for your husband. Do you need a map to look at distances?

Your commute from Milford/New Haven area to Mystic will be going against the traffic so should be a breeze. Do you have children that you need to worry about schools?
New Haven to Mystic is an hour without traffic. Milford would add maybe 15-20 minutes onto that commute - without traffic. And, if they're going from Milford into New Haven, they will hit rush hour traffic going into New Haven. So, figure 85-90 minutes. Then, you hit traffic exiting New Haven to Milford on the return.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:46 AM

17 posts, read 21,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMS123 View Post
I have a job offer in the Mystic area, and my husband and I are considering relocating to CT from NYC. My husband works in midtown Manhattan, but his job is flexible and would allow him to work from home 2-3 days/week. He would take the train into NYC (and would be OK with a 2-hour one-way commute, as he can work on the train), whereas I would drive to work (and would prefer a max 1 - 1.25 hour drive if possible).

In considering this move, some questions we have are:

* What would be a good town to live in that would allow me to drive to Mystic and my husband to commute to NYC by train? Are towns around New Haven feasible? One option we were considering is Milford.

* What is the traffic like from the New Haven area to Mystic on I-95 during the morning and evening rush hours?

Thanks in advance!
I assume that you're carefully considering this move. From my perspective, it's one thing to talk about a 2+ hour commute; it's another thing to do it repeatedly. If I were in your position, I'd have my husband take Metro North from New Haven to GCT a couple of times -- just to get a sense of what a commute like that would feel like -- even if it's only a couple of times each week.

I say New Haven because I think the New Haven area is the only region where this arrangement could possibly work. One option would be Branford -- an attractive coastal town with several distinct villages just east of New Haven. Your husband could drive to New Haven and pick up Metro North at Union Station. Your commute to Mystic would be around 55-60 miles each way, but you would not be caught in any major rush-hour bottlenecks. Of course, you need to factor in the impact that adverse weather -- especially during wintertime -- could have on this drive.

Best of Luck.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:42 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Manhattan is about 135 miles from Mystic so finding a town half way in between still means a REALLY long commute for both of you. Living in Milford would give you a good hour plus commute since Mystic is about 65 miles away. You would hit some traffic going into New Haven in the morning but once past there it should be a smooth but long commute. I am thinking your drive would be about an hour and 15 minutes each way. To be a bit closer to your job and to avoid having to deal with traffic going into New Haven, you might consider living in New Haven itself. I am not sure the type of community you want to live in but if you lived downtown your husband would be near the train station and you would be able to cut your commute down to about an hour. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut