Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:31 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,952,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moruph View Post
Ballantyne/Piper Glen area?
wow,its true.Lot of fake people and the traffic is bad. high crime,lots of homicides,I am still here and can't wait to move to CT up north.
Ballantyne and Piper Glen are down around the Matthews area off Pineville Matthews road.

I will say the city is very pretty, well kept landscape wise etc...but I don't know it was just sort of like a sugary starchy treat. (glazed donut? ) It tastes good at first but leaves you with a stomach ache later on with no real nutritional value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Actually, your 'facts' and 'truth' are neither. Police statistics consistently show that crimes in the area are usually committed by persons who do not live in the Highlands-they are actually usually done by people not even from the area, who target it because of the easy access to the highways to escape. So, your 'fact' -isn't. I do recall the time that guy stole those cars-he stole several besides yours and should not have been out on probation-he was not a Highlands resident.

And those 'buildings' are actually single-family homes, and I sold mine for more than those squirrel-nest Carriage Crossings condos go for
My car theft was nothing of the sort. It was an isolated incident. The guy was a crack head from New Haven who was visiting his "homey" in The Highlands. *I* heard my sports car start up and take off, jumped in my other car and chased him to Exit 3 on 91 with the state police on the cell phone.

You can like it there, that's fine. I liked my crummy neighborhood in Waterbury, but it was still crummy.

I just don't know how you can say these Highland units are "great"

http://www.ctchristians.com/misc/highlands.jpg (broken link)
http://www.ctchristians.com/misc/highlands2.jpg (broken link)

And somehow Carriage Crossing units are "bad"?

http://www.ctchristians.com/misc/carriage_crossing1.jpg (broken link)
http://www.ctchristians.com/misc/carriage_crossing2.jpg (broken link)
http://www.ctchristians.com/misc/carriage_crossing3.jpg (broken link)

I mean, seriously Carriage Crossing are some of the nicest condos in Westlake. I'm not trying to be a jerk...what am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 05:53 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,211,176 times
Please show me where I said the Highlands homes are 'great' and Carriage Crossing units 'bad'. Link, please? I did say I sold it for more $ than the condos fetch. That's true.

No, the Highlands houses are of an ugly design. Not disputing that. There are much nicer condos in Westlake than Carriage Crossing though. Those are so close together and the parking spaces are practically in the living rooms. They look like something you'd see on every block in Charlotte. Heck, I'm in one of the apt complexes now and I have more of a yard area than those condos do.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:23 AM

11 posts, read 27,621 times
I didn't mean to offend anyone about the highlands area off West Lake. I was only posting things I had read in apartmentratings.com, which is what I've been using to find a place to live. There are a number of posts there about car break-ins, etc. I wanted to see what people here thought of that.

I don't know about moruph, but I've added wethersfield and Rocky Hill to my search (as you can see in the other thread)

Old 02-03-2008, 08:10 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,738,972 times
It's very possible that you sold your property at The Highlands for more money than some units at Carriage Crossing simply because it's a 1296-square-foot 3-bedroom stand-alone structure with a 2-car garage. (Almost all of the units at the Highlands are the same.)

Carriage Crossing, on the other hand, is comprised of five (5) different models* ranging from 670-square-foot Amhurst to the 950-square-foot Daumont. Some have argued that the units at Carriage Crossing are poorly insulated resulting in extreme outside noise and temperature penetration.

*CARRIAGE CROSSING (# of particular model / sf / set-up / level)
65 AMHURSTs - 670 sf - 1 bed/1 bath (3rd floor)
64 ASCOTs - 760 sf - 1 bed & loft/1 bath (2nd floor)
64 BROUGHAMs - 840 sf - 2 beds each w/ bath (no communal bath) (1st floor)
66 CABRIOLETs - 866 sf - 2 beds each w/ bath (no communal bath) (2nd floor)
66 DAUMONTs - 950 sf - 2 beds/2 baths (MBR has full bath) (1st floor)

Units at The Highlands would be priced above Amhursts and Ascots, about the same as Broughams and Cabriolets, but less than Daumonts.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 02-03-2008 at 08:19 AM..

Old 02-03-2008, 10:55 AM

17 posts, read 51,919 times
Gnuf,
What do you think about Meriden.
Click on the link to check the listing,the high rise building.

Rent.com: Search Results

(Harbor brook apt).The rent is with all utilities included.I think its not bad until u know the state and move down to the best places you might think of in CT.
I don't know your preference though, let me know. Thanks.

Are u moving to CT fro the first time too?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:55 PM

15 posts, read 47,674 times
Interesting topic, especially since some of us are either from CT and have lived in NC, etc. Anyway, I currently live in Charlotte (not by choice, my Husband was transferred here) but I grew up in CT (Rocky Hill).. I worked at Aetna for almost 14 years and worked at their offices in Middletown, Rocky Hill & Hartford (State House Square and the home office). I have also lived in Middletown (Condo Heaven - i.e. Westlake or Westlake Drive) is what we used to call it because so many of us Aetnaoids lived there. I have also lived in several of the complex's in Westlake, some nicer than others. Granted I did live there 10-15 years ago. Like I said, I grew up in Rocky Hill, but I moved out of my parents house when I was 19 and lived in a few condo's in Rocky Hill as well.

With that said, my younger sister currently lives in Meriden and has for a few years. And it is with a little sadness to say (because she does live and own a house there) that I personally would never live in Meriden. In my opinion, the 'city' is run down and full of crime. I'm not partial to the city of Middletown either, but if I had to choose I would definitely pick Middletown over Meriden. Your very close to downtown Hartford as well as New Haven in Middletown and both have alot to offer.

Alot of people think of Hartford as such a sad city, and I will say that I absolutely LOVED living there. The Downtown area has come 'ALIVE' in the last 10 -15 years with new restaraunts, bar's, etc. not to mention the immense amount of history and culture that you can see, visit, etc. Yes, it is a small city, but it has alot to offer. Alot more bar's and nightlife than other larger cities have, in my opinion. I have lived in 16 states and alot of big cities. Granted, I'm married now (met my husband at Bourbon Street downtown hartford) who was from MI, but definitely still alot to do and some great restaraunts. I still frequent those area's when I'm 'Home'. West Hartford is also extremely nice with a very nice 'Center'..

Hope that helps....

Old 02-04-2008, 07:23 PM

11 posts, read 27,621 times
What did you think of Rocky Hill? I drove around there as I was exploring places to live. May end up at Stepny Place. But the total lack of places with W/D in the unit is making me quite sad.

I'll miss the high rise setups in Philly and Minneapolis.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:23 PM

639 posts, read 2,704,898 times
Quote:
I'll miss the high rise setups in Philly and Minneapolis.

You can get high rise living in downtown Hartford.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 AM

17 posts, read 51,919 times
uconn99 ,
Thanks. Downtown hartford might be too crowded in terms of crime too.
Do you have any particular area or apt name that is highrise.Thanks.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:04 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,952,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moruph View Post
uconn99 ,
Thanks. Downtown hartford might be too crowded in terms of crime too.
Do you have any particular area or apt name that is highrise.Thanks.
"Crime" in Hartford is mainly found in two areas and downtown is not one of them.

For a rental check out Hartford 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut