Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:55 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Big waste of money - all of them. Public schools are better than catholic schools, the teachers there make peanuts and many are disgruntled.
Pub schools kindergartners and 1st graders nowadays are reading and writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 12:03 PM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
What are some decent pre-k and after school programs around Westport, Weston, NC areas?

Old 11-18-2015, 01:00 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times

Old 11-18-2015, 01:09 PM

More info with sources previously shared on C-D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Also the size of the graduation class says much too. Lets compare Stamford's with schools that truly are horrible.

Stamford
Stamford High 84.2%
- White 92.5%
- Black 81.0%
- Hispanic 75.5%
- Asian 81.0%

Westhill High 83.0%
- White 92.6%
- Black 79.6%
- Hispanic 72.9%
- Asian 88.2%

Bridgeport
Bassick High 47.9%
Central High 78.4%
Harding High 66.1%

Hartford
Bulkeley High 63.6%

New Britain
New Britain High 63.3%

New Haven
Wilbur Cross High 69.2%
James Hillhouse High 54.9%

New London
New London High 64.9%

Norwalk
Briggs High 31.2%

Waterbury
Crosby High 60.2%
Wilby High 63.1%
JFK High 64.9%

http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/lib/sde/ex...school2012.xls
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR
"The top 5 percent of graduates have been accepted at numerous Ivy League and top level universities."
Westhill's Class Of 2015 Looks To The Future At Graduation | Stamford Daily Voice

"Approximately 90 percent of Stamford High’s graduates go on to higher education, including Ivy League schools, with the remaining majority going into the military or jobs."
History - Stamford High School

"Hundreds of Stamford Public Schools students have crossed various stages and received their high school diplomas over the past couple years.

Stamford Public Schools just made public the list of more than 200 colleges that students will be attending next year. The list includes local favorites like Norwalk Community College, UConn Stamford and UConn at Storrs. There’s also a smattering of far-away schools, like University of Southern California and University of Texas. And some Ivy Leagues, like Yale University, Harvard College and Cornell University. There’s even a shout out for this reporter’s alma mater at Syracuse University."
Grads going off to more than 200 colleges - The Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
US News also puts other type of data on their site.

Stamford High School: The AP participation rate at Stamford High School is 32 percent.

Westhill High School: The AP participation rate at Westhill High School is 43 percent.

Academy of Information Technology: The AP participation rate at The Academy of Information Technology is 40 percent.

Stamford High School in STAMFORD, CT | Best High Schools | US News

Westhill High School in STAMFORD, CT | Best High Schools | US News

The Academy of Information Technology in STAMFORD, CT | Best High Schools | US News

Old 11-18-2015, 01:27 PM

Interesting articles about North Stamford.

Quote:
If you live in an area like this,” Ms. Huff said, “you don’t need a place in Vermont for the summer or winter.”

A community of 19.23 square miles, North Stamford has mostly one-acre zoning, in addition to some two- and three-acre parcels; lots are thus larger here than in the rest of the city. There is also ample room for outbuildings like pool houses or cottages.

But the remoteness can take getting used to, said Diane Samelson, who at first missed the food delivery services she had relied on in her Greenwich Village one-bedroom.

“Now we have a huge flat-panel TV, and we can barbecue,” Ms. Samelson said in describing her home, a five-bedroom clapboard farmhouse with four and a half baths and 5,000 square feet of space. The property also has a three-stall horse barn, which her husband, Matt, has remade as a workshop.

The neighbors probably didn’t hear any hammering.

“I didn’t even realize I had neighbors until the winter,” she said, “when the trees got really bare.”

The home cost $1.1 million in June 2007, though it has since depreciated by 10 percent, at least according to a bank where, Ms. Samelson said, she recently tried to get a home-equity loan.
The New York Times - North Stamford, Conn.: Abundant Stone, Scarce Neighbors

Stamford Community Character

Stamford Community Character

Old 11-18-2015, 03:02 PM

174 posts, read 124,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty5 View Post
Yes, we have heard that the public schools are not the greatest-a serious concern. I think we would explore the private school situation. We cannot afford Greenwich home prices so Stamford seems like a good value and good commutability... Perhaps leaving a private school budget. ��
I'd explore the public schools too while you are at it. They are not as bad as people claim and the WHHS is very good.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:37 PM

570 posts, read 477,687 times
Smitty,

I was very close to buying a home last year on Michael Rd in NoStam. Great family street and nice lots. Unfortunately I could not pull trigger on Davenport Ridge school for my son. Realtor kept pushing that school was good and I could resell in a few years if I don't like it. Anytime someone has to hard sell it then probably not best situation. Make your own call but be prepared to live with it for next 15-20 years. Schools matter in FFC and perceived weakness will make your home a tough sell later on. I ended up in Fairfield.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:29 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
There is a common misconception and fallacy on here, usually from newcomers to the area, that certain towns are going to have harder resales.
Stamford is always going to have resale ability due to its location and the numbers back that up.
Just posted recent sale %s on the real estate thread.
Stamford 72 homes under contract currently - 16% lof total homes on market
Greenwich - 9 homes contract. 9 %
New Canaan and Darien also under 10%.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
...perceived weakness will make your home a tough sell later on. I ended up in Fairfield.
It's true that perceived weakness makes a home a tougher sale, but people should also be aware of what is the general perception vs the perception that they have as individuals or in their social circle.

Lets take your situation as an example. You decided to buy in Fairfield because, based on your perception, homes sell faster in that town than in Stamford.

Town | Days on Market (3Q of 2015)

Fairfield | 128
Stamford | 125

Other select towns:

Greenwich | 180
Redding | 156
New Canaan | 147
Wilton | 132
Westport | 131

http://www.bhhsneproperties.com/docu...-fairfield.pdf

Old 11-18-2015, 08:00 PM

7 posts, read 11,183 times
Thanks AntonioR-good articles and info! Yes CT_Yank, exactly-we want to buy one house so there's a lot to figure out. We also recently looked at a house on Michael Rd and the street is very nice. Fairfield is great but the commute isn't quite as convenient. We are not as worried about resale as we are about schools (cross one bridge at a time lol) but it's good to keep in mind. We really just want a great safe community, good people to get to know, good schools, and a high quality of life. I'm from Vermont and long to raise our children with the safety and proximity to nature that I had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut