Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:04 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty5 View Post
Thanks AntonioR-good articles and info! Yes CT_Yank, exactly-we want to buy one house so there's a lot to figure out. We also recently looked at a house on Michael Rd and the street is very nice. Fairfield is great but the commute isn't quite as convenient. We are not as worried about resale as we are about schools (cross one bridge at a time lol) but it's good to keep in mind. We really just want a great safe community, good people to get to know, good schools, and a high quality of life. I'm from Vermont and long to raise our children with the safety and proximity to nature that I had.
Just how far of a commute are you willing to tolerate? Have you considered towns like Wilton, Weston and Redding? These towns have a more rural feel you seem to be looking for and have excellent schools. If you apply the money you may spend for private schools each year toward your mortgage, you should be able to afford these communities. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:19 AM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Sorry, to clarify, I did not mean to imply that NoStam is undesirable and you can't sell your house. I meant that if OP was thinking short term (say 5-7 years) then it might be hard to sell house without bringing money table and losing money on the transaction. I bought in Fairfield from a couple who listed house for 35% more than they paid in 2011. What happened? They ended up selling it for basically what they paid for it in 2011 and lost lots of money on improvements, conveyance, realtor fees etc. Just stating be prepared to stay awhile and don't believe hype.

Smitty,

Are you commuting to NYC? Just remember that NoStam is not close to train and parking is very tough at Talmadge, Springbrook etc. You will be driving 20m - 25m (no traffic btw)to Stamford center train then hour ride to city. Not much different in totality than being close to train but farther up the line.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 11,182 times
Thanks so much Jay and CT_Yank-Yes we had looked at Redding originally and believe it or not felt it was a little too rural. We do want a community feel in addition to our privacy lol. I will check out Wilton and Weston because that's a great point about the train location. The commute up to an hour and twenty is ok and since I leave at 5am I thought I might have a leg up on parking spots but need to look into that more. This school thing is important and we would much rather put the money into the house than tuition...

Old 11-20-2015, 04:28 PM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
There's plenty of parking near Stamford's downtown station, both on the garage of the station itself as well as across Washington Blvd in a parking garage built by the Harbor Point people.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
I didn't see your budget posted anywhere, but if you are coming from Vermont and looking for a home in a suburban neighborhood, with very good schools, and a family-oriented town, add Westport to your list along with Wilton. It's not as rural as Redding. From the sound of your posts, schools are very important, and Stamford is a city, so the schools there have issues that you'll generally find in a city.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:09 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I didn't see your budget posted anywhere, but if you are coming from Vermont and looking for a home in a suburban neighborhood, with very good schools, and a family-oriented town, add Westport to your list along with Wilton. It's not as rural as Redding. From the sound of your posts, schools are very important, and Stamford is a city, so the schools there have issues that you'll generally find in a city.
Every school has issues. City schools have issues caused by poverty and transience. Still, most kids work around those issues and aren't held back by them...more so in Stamford than other CT cities.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Every school has issues. City schools have issues caused by poverty and transience. Still, most kids work around those issues and aren't held back by them...more so in Stamford than other CT cities.
Since the OP said more than once that good schools are very important to them, it's only fair to point out that Stamford schools have issues. Of course not all students are "held back by them", but some parents don't care to deal with said issues. North Stamford is a nice area, but students from different areas of Stamford are bussed around the entire city, which some find undesirable. It's up to the OP to decide whether or not Stamford schools fit their needs.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Since the OP said more than once that good schools are very important to them, it's only fair to point out that Stamford schools have issues. Of course not all students are "held back by them", but some parents don't care to deal with said issues. North Stamford is a nice area, but students from different areas of Stamford are bussed around the entire city, which some find undesirable. It's up to the OP to decide whether or not Stamford schools fit their needs.
The word "undesirable" is kind of rude when describing kids if you ask me. And those of us who have kids in city schools believe schools are very important too. But the OP should know that the Stamford schools have A LOT to offer as far as extra curriculars and advanced curriculum.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
The word "undesirable" is kind of rude when describing kids if you ask me.
I never described the children as undesirable. Perhaps children being bussed across the city every morning and afternoon is desirable to you, but not to most parents.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I never described the children as undesirable. Perhaps children being bussed across the city every morning and afternoon is desirable to you, but not to most parents.
It isn't and I'm not sure why they want to do that. By the time kids hit middle and high school, they are all together anyway. I was speaking more of the high schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut