Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you're empty nesters, which town to move to?
Guilford 13 72.22%
Cheshire 4 22.22%
Wallingford 1 5.56%
Hamden 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times

Advertisements

I voted Guilford for one main reason: shoreline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 08:15 AM

34,934 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Cheshire has one of the best school systems in the state, plus its convenient to all locations. Guilford is way to out there.
The OP is an empty nester so schools do not matter. Jay

Old 11-19-2015, 08:22 AM

31 posts, read 39,640 times
Better yet, none of the above.

This state simply has lost whatever appeal it may have had at one point.

Why deal with the insane cost of living, horrible congestion, and frigid people?

There's much better value out there for your real estate dollar.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It depends what you want. Guilford is rural and affluent, Cheshire is suburban and affluent, Wallingford is suburban and is more middle class, and Hamden is suburban and more working class. Guilford will be further from amenities, Wallingford and Hamden closer. Guilford is on the coast, the others are not. We also need a price range.

Personally I would go with Cheshire or Wallingford. They are pretty conveniently located for someone who doesn't regularly have to commute out of them. Guilford has an advantage though, as it has low taxes (and arguably has the nicest center of town if you like to steoll).
I agree with Kid's assessment. Guilford would be my top choice. It is a beautiful town with a lot to offer. I think I would however select Wallingford over Cheshire only for convenience and access to highways. Parts of Cheshire can be out there. Still not terrible though. Hamden is at the lower end of my list. I have never been particularly impressed by it. I know at one time (like 50 years ago) it was considered to be something but strip shopping centers are not very impressive to me.

What about Branford? It is a bit closer to New Haven than Guilford, has some good shopping and a nice small downtown and is on the coast. I would definitely consider it as well. Jay

Old 11-19-2015, 08:29 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tax_tax_tax_tax View Post

Why deal with the insane cost of living, horrible congestion, and frigid people?

Supply and demand my friend. It's expensive because it's desirable. That's just how it works. There's no traffic where I live in the lower river valley....

With your username I assume you see things through a very singular lens. There's more to life than taxes.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tax_tax_tax_tax View Post

Because not everyone thinks that money is the top priority over quality of life, culture, history and charm. Also you will find congestion in or near every major city in this country and people here are not frigid, they are respectful of other people's privacy and not in your face with false friendship. Jay

Old 11-19-2015, 10:11 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Why's it mutually exclusive? Guilford has lots of woods too.
Cheshire is more centrally located - it has nothing to do with woods. You can get to Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury and Danbury fairly easily from there.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:14 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
I really think the OP needs to come back and tell us what they are looking for and what is important to them.

OP- what is your budget and what do you expect to get for that and what are looking for in the way of retirement living ? Do you want to be close to the water, close to big box stores, close to lots of shopping, etc. Do you mind driving everywhere or are you looking for some sort of public transport.

My choice for your poll would be Guilford. However keep in mind that Guilford has no public sewers, everything is on septic and unless you are in town center, most everything is on well water. Those could be considerations if you're on a fixed income and one of those items needs repair/ replacement. While there is some natural gas in town, it mostly goes to commercial properties. That leaves the great majority of the town on oil, electric heat ( maybe propane if it's a newer home) . Natural gas is currently the cheapest form of heat.

On the other hand, you could go to Wallingford, get a very reliable electrical service, find city water, sewer and gas heat in places ( Wallingford has its own private electric company )

As someone else already suggested, I'd toss Branford into the mix too. You can get city services and gas heat in many places in town and still be in a shoreline town.

Your poll choices are really apples and oranges and our choices have nothing to do with what is
going to work for your retirement.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:55 PM

566 posts, read 592,987 times
By asking the question in the way I did,
it gave me an idea of the people's choice.

That is what I was aiming for.

I have inner feeings of each town, and this poll has helped verify them.

For example:

I'm appreciating the interesting answers regarding Wallingford.
I love the fact there is a train station that travels north and south.

I love the charming restaurant section on N. Main Street.. really so lovely and inviting!
Then ...
....I turn the corner and am confounded by the many possibilities that haven't blossomed in the dreary and lifeless storefronts on Center Street. The town seems savvy but where are the great little artsy shops and boutiques that would likely be embraced just as those chic' restaurants are around the corner.

I am interested in what town YOU like and WHY.
I'm enjoying YOUR insights.
I am savoring each person's description because I can envision them. Getting descriptive from your point of view helps me to navigate.

If we are to move to CT we are taking into consideration that many businesses have jumped ship and the taxes will be paid by you and me. You can't let these things discourage what you value.

We embrace CT. It's beauty is a window into history, a way of life unique and possibly even more special than you might recognize because you are in it. We love it, and I hope others who love CT can take a chance on it.

An easy place to call home.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:39 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
What are you looking for?

Beach and quaintness, then Guilford.
Town with a lot of emenities: Cheshire, Wallingford, Hamden
Good place without having to get too pricey: Hamden
Big diverse town: Hamden...maybe Wallingford not sure
Great school system: They are all good, but posters here would likely go with Cheshire or Guilford while avoiding Hamden
Damn good electric rates: Wallingford

If I were an empty nester, I'd probably go with Hamden or Wallingford. My reasons: convenience, affordability, diversity, stores, services, availability of smaller homes, not geared toward strictly young families and kids. But that's just me.

Last edited by AMSS; 11-19-2015 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut