Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:54 AM

10 posts, read 13,574 times

Advertisements

I want to go to Greenwich, CT during the first weekend in January 2016, via rail. The folks at Amtrak seem clueless about how to get me there.

I know I can take a Metro-North train from NYC, but do I really have to go into the city? Amtrak doesn't have a Greenwich stop. I will be on foot without much $$ for a taxi or an Uber. So how can I get there? Can I take a Metro-North from Stamford to Greenwich on the weekend?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 09:00 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky-- View Post
Can I take a Metro-North from Stamford to Greenwich on the weekend?

Thanks!
Yes, 7 days a week

Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Amtrak from Boston to Stamford, then Metro North from Stamford to Greenwich.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Amtrak from Boston to Stamford, then Metro North from Stamford to Greenwich.
This. I am not sure if all Amtrak trains stop in Stamford though. If there is an Amtrak train out of Boston you would prefer, you can take it to New Haven where all Amtrak trains stop and then switch to a Metro North train to Greenwich. You do not need to go into New York and then backtrack to Greenwich. That makes no sense. Jay

Old 11-24-2015, 11:04 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,354 times
Most Amtrak trains do stop in Stamford, but check the schedule to be sure. The faster trains skip some stops and cost more $, so choose the slower train.

When you get to Stamford, you'll have to transfer to an NYC-bound metro north train. On weekends, I think they're all local, so they should stop at all four Greenwich stops. There are cabs waiting at both the Stamford and downtown Greenwich stations if you change your mind about taking a cab.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:39 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
There a bus between Port Chester, NY and Downtown Stamford train station area

Bus Route 11 it stop at Greenwich train station on it way to Stamford for Amtrak connection.

http://www.cttransit.com/Uploads_Sch...ysched(22).pdf

Old 11-24-2015, 02:42 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Make sure that the NYC bound Metro-North train you hop on in Stamford is not the express train. That particular train will take you directly to Grand Central Station in Manhattan (yes, the one that appears in countless movies) with only one stop at 125th Street in Harlem.

Also, Greenwich has three Metro-North train stations (Cos Cob, Old Greewich, and Greenwich; I'm not sure if it's in that particular order from Stamford), which can be convenient depending where in Greenwich is your final destination.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:17 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky-- View Post
I want to go to Greenwich, CT during the first weekend in January 2016, via rail. The folks at Amtrak seem clueless about how to get me there.

I know I can take a Metro-North train from NYC, but do I really have to go into the city? Amtrak doesn't have a Greenwich stop. I will be on foot without much $$ for a taxi or an Uber. So how can I get there? Can I take a Metro-North from Stamford to Greenwich on the weekend?

Thanks!

Amtrak to Stamford, Metro North 3 stops to Greenwich. The Amtrak train and the Metro North train should leave from the same platform too.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:25 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This. I am not sure if all Amtrak trains stop in Stamford though. If there is an Amtrak train out of Boston you would prefer, you can take it to New Haven where all Amtrak trains stop and then switch to a Metro North train to Greenwich. You do not need to go into New York and then backtrack to Greenwich. That makes no sense. Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
Most Amtrak trains do stop in Stamford, but check the schedule to be sure. The faster trains skip some stops and cost more $, so choose the slower train.

When you get to Stamford, you'll have to transfer to an NYC-bound metro north train. On weekends, I think they're all local, so they should stop at all four Greenwich stops. There are cabs waiting at both the Stamford and downtown Greenwich stations if you change your mind about taking a cab.

Going from Boston they all stop. Going towards Boston, there's an Acela in the afternoon that skips Stamford and runs express from New York to Haven, and then later on there's an express that skips New Haven running non stop from Stamford to Providence.

Jay: I think he said he was going on a weekend, which would mean if he got off in New Haven, he'd then have to switch again in Stamford to the local, so allowing the continuation onto Stamford means all he has to do is make the (likely) cross platform switch from the Amtrak to the Metro North.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 AM

428 posts, read 831,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Agreed. I think switching in New Haven would be the best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut