Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 929 times

Advertisements

Hello forum members:
First post here, we are moving from Charlotte to Connecticut and need help deciding which town to move to. The work location would be in Berlin, CT, so, looking for some good towns within 10-12 miles of commute with good schools. My daughter will go into 5th grade in the school session starting in August this year.

What are some good towns with great schools? The majority of my colleagues live in Rocky Hill but when I checked the schools are not that great there.

We will be renting an apartment so please suggest some good apartment communities as well. The max budget is around $2K for 2 BHK.

Appreciate any info you could provide us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 11:52 AM

382 posts, read 157,672 times
Not an expert on specific towns and their schools other than anecdotel and based on common public rankings that are out there but I will say that Rocky Hill is not bad at all. I’ll also say that the “average” CT public schools are still better than 80% of all public schools in the USA and probably better than most schools in North Carolina.

CT public education is very good. Property taxes are high and school funding is important. Private school in CT is often unnecessary and just a flex by the rich or if you are one of those political types that think public school will brainwash your kid or turn them gay and whacky stuff like that.

Curious what list or resource you used to determine that Rocky Hill wasn’t good.

I will also say with a $2K budget you won’t get the best of the best.

Niche isn’t the best source but they have Rocky Hill 26th in the state of CT. Again, 26th in CT could be like top 10 in most southern and midwestern states.

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t gush over CT as this magical land of sunshine, puppies and unicorns like some people on this board, but as a somewhat boring suburb family dream of having great schools living a good family life, CT is way up on the list.

Old 03-22-2024, 02:26 PM

158 posts, read 198,738 times
Can't be of direct help but FYI a discount airline, Avelo, is starting non-stop discount flights from Charlotte-Concord to New Haven. So if you'll do a lot of back and forth travel while you sort things out it is worth considering. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2024, 03:48 PM

210 posts, read 262,342 times
Rocky Hill School District has an “A” rating on Niche.

Old 03-22-2024, 03:54 PM

366 posts, read 780,173 times
I would suggest you consider Southington and Newington. Both towns with good schools and bordering Berlin. Good access to highways and lots of amenities. I live in Southington; we moved here when my oldest was in third grade (he is a high school senior now) and we have been very happy with the school system. It’s a friendly town with a mix of rural and suburban neighborhoods. Some apartments and many multi family homes.

Sorry I can’t help with specific apartment complexes. Workinf with a realtor would probably be a good idea.

Good luck and welcome to Connecticut!

Old 03-22-2024, 08:28 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,638,068 times
I highly recommend looking into either West Hartford or Farmington! Other CT residents, correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe they’re within your budget. Great schools and very well rounded towns!

Should be a pretty easy and straight forward commute to Berlin!

Old 03-22-2024, 09:22 PM

34,919 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Berlin is located south of Hartford. To minimize your commute I’d strongly recommend you stay south of it as well. If schools are your top priority, you should know that your budget would be a little low in a top school districts.

One of the best towns for very good schools would be Glastonbury. It’s a great more upscale town with great stores and restaurants, wonderful parks and one of the best school districts in the state. I live there and love it. I’m sure you would too but again your budget would only get you a modest older apartment.

If a top rated school district is not as important, you could look in other towns south of Hartford. Wethersfield, Rocky Hill, Newington and Berlin are great towns with good schools, great stores and restaurants and nice parks and amenities. Again your budget is a bit low for a 2 bedroom apartment but you should be able to find a nice place. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:58 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,638,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
One of the best towns for very good schools would be Glastonbury. It’s a great more upscale town with great stores and restaurants, wonderful parks and one of the best school districts in the state. I live there and love it. I’m sure you would too but again your budget would only get you a modest older apartment.
I don’t think OP mentioned how far he’s willing to commute, but I feel like Glastonbury might be a bit of a commute for OP if he were to land there. The thing is during rush hour, it can be really difficult to cross the CT River with traffic often pretty heavy. It’s not too far, but I feel like Glastonbury might be pushing the distance / commute for OP, when you consider the towns he was already looking at. What do you think?

I feel like west Hartford and Farmington would be easier commutes and closer.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:40 AM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
If your kid WANTS to learn and graduate it won’t matter what town. Rocky Hill is the same academically as others that have higher rankings. People have to understand rankings are just based on SBAC scores and grad rates. Rocky Hill will teach them if they WANT it, they’ll provide it.
If you can comfortably afford somewhere with higher ranking then by all means do so.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:39 AM

366 posts, read 780,173 times
The commute from Farmington to Berlin would be annoying. There is a ton of traffic on the main roads in Farmington that you have to travel to get out of town, particularly trying to get to I84.

I work in West Hartford and agree that the schools are excellent. Rentals can be expensive, however. Some of my colleagues have been forced to move several times as landlords raise prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut