Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:46 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As has been pointed out before, most of the murders in Hartford occur in one or two particular neighborhoods. Downtown is not one of them. Murders happen in every city. Would you judge all of New York by the number of murders that occur in the Bronx? I wouldn't, nor would most people. Again, downtown Hartford is as safe an area as most other downtown areas in a large city in this country. Jay
I don't think he's listening Jay.

I'd also say that the people leaving CT are not the high income people - it's more the working class and middle class retirees moving to Florida, the Carolinas, Arizona and other warmer weather states so they can get more mileage out of their retirement dollars. It's why there is such a wealth gap in CT - the rich can still afford to live here, as can the upper middle class, but those in the middle are struggling and the poorest often can't afford to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:56 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I don't think he's listening Jay.

I'd also say that the people leaving CT are not the high income people - it's more the working class and middle class retirees moving to Florida, the Carolinas, Arizona and other warmer weather states so they can get more mileage out of their retirement dollars. It's why there is such a wealth gap in CT - the rich can still afford to live here, as can the upper middle class, but those in the middle are struggling and the poorest often can't afford to move.
I know but it had to be said. Maybe the OP will understand it better. I also think you are right about those leaving Connecticut but that is getting off topic. Jay

Old 12-15-2015, 01:45 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
As has been pointed out before, most of the murders in Hartford occur in one or two particular neighborhoods. Downtown is not one of them. Murders happen in every city. Would you judge all of New York by the number of murders that occur in the Bronx? I wouldn't, nor would most people. Again, downtown Hartford is as safe an area as most other downtown areas in a large city in this country. Jay

Most of Hartford murders this year on North End north of I-84. Asylum Hill, Frog Hollow, Parkville, South End can be rough too

Old 12-16-2015, 05:31 AM

11 posts, read 19,875 times
Here is a link to a map showing where homicides occurred in Hartford from 2012 to September 7, 2015. They don't appear to be confined to a small area of the city.

Map: Hartford Homicides, 2012-2015 - Hartford Courant

Old 12-16-2015, 05:34 AM

11 posts, read 19,875 times
Here are city data's statistics on crime in Hartford, and how they compare to the national average:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nnecticut.html

Old 12-16-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush1973 View Post
Here is a link to a map showing where homicides occurred in Hartford from 2012 to September 7, 2015. They don't appear to be confined to a small area of the city.

Map: Hartford Homicides, 2012-2015 - Hartford Courant
As you can see by that map, only a couple happened downtown. The rest are mostly in the North End, several in South Green/Coltsville and on Asylum Hill. Then there are some scattered around the city. If you look at similar maps for other cities you would see similar results. Jay

Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush1973 View Post
Here are city data's statistics on crime in Hartford, and how they compare to the national average:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nnecticut.html
This map tells the exact story I have been trying to explain to you. Hartford itself is a small portion of the greater Hartford metropolitan area. It represents the dense urban core of the metro region and is surrounded by independent suburbs that have low crime rates. If those suburbs were made part of Hartford, the overall results would be a much lower crime rate. That is what happens in cities with larger areas. Their low crime areas offset the higher crime areas so the crime rates are skewed in their favor. Not sure how much better I can explain that. Jay

Old 12-16-2015, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 10,328 times
I started the post. It looks like there is a massive "hartford sucks" and "hartfords isn't that bad" section in here. However, all those statistics can be interpreted in various ways. It's true that it isn't the safest place, but there are e.g. other districts in Boulder, CO that have a significant lower crime index than downtown Hartford does (City Center / Rensselaer Hartford Graduate Center Inc 06103 Hartford, CT Neighborhood Profile).
I think it is all a matter of perspective. I have no other choice than the UCONN so I have to deal with it. I think unless I don't provoke anything, nothing might happen.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatheisRasmus View Post
I started the post. It looks like there is a massive "hartford sucks" and "hartfords isn't that bad" section in here. However, all those statistics can be interpreted in various ways. It's true that it isn't the safest place, but there are e.g. other districts in Boulder, CO that have a significant lower crime index than downtown Hartford does (City Center / Rensselaer Hartford Graduate Center Inc 06103 Hartford, CT Neighborhood Profile).
I think it is all a matter of perspective. I have no other choice than the UCONN so I have to deal with it. I think unless I don't provoke anything, nothing might happen.
Yes, there are colleges in towns with lower crime rates. You could go to Dartmouth in Hanover, New Hampshire which has a very low crime rate but what are you near, can you get into that school and does it offer the major you want. Like I have said, Hartford is not bad as long as you stay away from the problem neighborhoods. Downtown is generally safe, just take precautions like anyone should take when in a major city and you should be fine. Jay

Old 12-17-2015, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 10,328 times
Quote:
Yes, there are colleges in towns with lower crime rates. You could go to Dartmouth in Hanover, New Hampshire which has a very low crime rate but what are you near, can you get into that school and does it offer the major you want. Like I have said, Hartford is not bad as long as you stay away from the problem neighborhoods. Downtown is generally safe, just take precautions like anyone should take when in a major city and you should be fine. Jay

I am from Switzerland and attending one of UConn's graduate programms that are quite unique in the states. So, I obviously have no other choice rather than staying at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut