Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you still relocate here, if you had the opportunity to do it all over again?
Yes, absolutely 13 41.94%
Yes, but only due to an employment opportunity. 3 9.68%
Absolutely not 11 35.48%
It's a close call 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 10:55 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times

Advertisements

I've lived in 3 places my entire life:

When I was born to 3rd grade- Westchester County
College Freshmen (and really this shouldn't even count either): Hempstead, Long Island
3rd grade to present (outside that 1 year at school)- Fairfield County.

Even Westchester county now would probably have major traffic problems, not to mention where I lived was right on US-9 too. So yes I'd move back here anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 10:58 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I lived in CT for five winters - that was enough. Overall, I am glad that I moved to CT in 2009 and would not change a thing. However, I can now check "live in New England" off my bucket list. Things I remember about living in CT:

Pros:
The natural beauty of the state, especially compared to Dallas, is breathtaking.
Friendly, if somewhat high-strung, people.
Great Italian food.
Close proximity to NYC and Boston
The best bike trails I have ever experienced.
The summers are lovely
Intellectual conversions with complete strangers.
People aren't always sticking their nose in my business.

Cons:
Co-workers are always getting sick.
Entitled workforce that is lazy.
Infested with Democrats.
Old, worn out housing and infrastructure. CT is definitely stuck in the past.
Colonial architecture is way overdone here.
The meanest, and dumbest, horseflies on the planet.
Sunsets in December at 4:20 PM are depressing.
Leafless trees six months of the year is depressing.
Earthquakes, tropical storms, blizzards, tornados...one calamity after another. It's amazing CT even exists.

Particular to me:
Toxic co-workers (sales - not operations)
Horrible winters, falling on the ice, power black-outs.
We've had more bad winters since 2009 than I can ever remember!

What time does the sun rise and set where you are now?

Old 12-05-2015, 11:31 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
[quote=WouldLoveTo;42182757What time does the sun rise and set where you are now?[/QUOTE]

Western CT, December 19:
Sunrise: 7:14am
Sunset: 4:25pm

South central Texas, December 19:
Sunrise: 7:17am
Sunset: 5:27pm

Sunset an hour later. A big deal for me.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:58 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I can understand the COL issue. Sure...little to no people enjoy paying taxes but taxes are high in the northeast because it's one of the most desirable places in the country. The problem with the northeast is that since it's one of the oldest regions in the country, it has been over taxed and over regulated within the past 150 years. Just because you're moving to a place with a lower COL doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Sure you pay less and in most cases have more cash in your pocket but you get what you pay for. I think CT cares more about its people than states down south especially Florida. In Florida you could be turned down from hospitals if you don't have insurance. People have died from in untreatment diseases. You can move to parts of the south and deal with low performing schools and poor government services. I can't think of one place in this country that has low taxes and high quality government services and a overall high quality of life. I personally love CT though I have been sick and tired of the way the state's been governed. No matter where you live there will always be a group of people that have something to say. You can't make everyone happy. Different people value things differently.
Honestly I get the good schools but the government services, that to me is a joke. If you expect the government to take care of you , you will be waiting in any State along time. We need less of that everywhere.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Western CT, December 19:

that's huge!!

Old 12-06-2015, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I lived in CT for five winters - that was enough. Overall, I am glad that I moved to CT in 2009 and would not change a thing. However, I can now check "live in New England" off my bucket list. Things I remember about living in CT:

Pros:
The natural beauty of the state, especially compared to Dallas, is breathtaking.
Friendly, if somewhat high-strung, people.
Great Italian food.
Close proximity to NYC and Boston
The best bike trails I have ever experienced.
The summers are lovely
Intellectual conversions with complete strangers.
People aren't always sticking their nose in my business.

Cons:
Co-workers are always getting sick.
Entitled workforce that is lazy.
Infested with Democrats.
Old, worn out housing and infrastructure. CT is definitely stuck in the past.
Colonial architecture is way overdone here.
The meanest, and dumbest, horseflies on the planet.
Sunsets in December at 4:20 PM are depressing.
Leafless trees six months of the year is depressing.
Earthquakes, tropical storms, blizzards, tornados...one calamity after another. It's amazing CT even exists.

Particular to me:
Toxic co-workers (sales - not operations)
Horrible winters, falling on the ice, power black-outs.
I think this is a good list. I especially like the intellectual conversation with strangers. Its a huge plus. I have found you don't get that everywhere!!! I am glad to be in a South area with all people from the North to get this!! HAHA!! The Triangle is not a dumb area, but the people who are the smart ones are from CT!! As for sick co workers and too many democrats , crumbling buildings and 6 months of bare trees , its a no brainer. I would not sign up for that deal.

Last edited by stevemorse; 12-06-2015 at 04:00 AM..

Old 12-06-2015, 09:11 AM

457 posts, read 905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
We've had more bad winters since 2009 than I can ever remember!

What time does the sun rise and set where you are now?
Georgia:
Sunrise 7:17 AM
Sunset 5:25 PM

Old 12-06-2015, 11:56 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Western CT, December 19:

Love it! And it doesn't get rise later by much - that's good too

Old 12-06-2015, 12:28 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Quote:
Western CT, December 19:

The one thing I like about Texas (and the Midwest) is its lightning storms. Since the Midwest is flat, lightning storms fill up the whole sky. Compare that to CT where it's mostly hilly and filled with trees.

This is something you won't find in CT very often unless you're on top of a mountain of some sort

If you had to do it all over again...-image.jpg

Old 12-06-2015, 05:58 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I can understand the COL issue. Sure...little to no people enjoy paying taxes but taxes are high in the northeast because it's one of the most desirable places in the country. The problem with the northeast is that since it's one of the oldest regions in the country, it has been over taxed and over regulated within the past 150 years. Just because you're moving to a place with a lower COL doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Sure you pay less and in most cases have more cash in your pocket but you get what you pay for. I think CT cares more about its people than states down south especially Florida. In Florida you could be turned down from hospitals if you don't have insurance. People have died from in untreatment diseases. You can move to parts of the south and deal with low performing schools and poor government services. I can't think of one place in this country that has low taxes and high quality government services and a overall high quality of life. I personally love CT though I have been sick and tired of the way the state's been governed. No matter where you live there will always be a group of people that have something to say. You can't make everyone happy. Different people value things differently.
there's no shortage of low performing schools in CT too. Also, the healthcare system is getting worse and worse (jobs and funding are regularly getting cut). Taxes are not related to desirability, at all. Taxes are 100% engineered. Home values however, which follow supply and demand principles, are highly correlated with desirability--median home sales in most worthwhile CT towns are well below or just breaking even with 2008 prices = less desirable.

If people should unconditionally be treated at hospitals without insurance, then why bother paying for it? I guess I'll let HR know I'm no longer participating. Thanks for footing the bill for me

I have found dozens of towns with equal or MORE services than the CT town I live in with anywhere between 1/2 and 1/3 the taxes. Less government waste = same services, less money.

One thing is correct, "you can't make everyone happy". I agree. All else is myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut