Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you still relocate here, if you had the opportunity to do it all over again?
Yes, absolutely 13 41.94%
Yes, but only due to an employment opportunity. 3 9.68%
Absolutely not 11 35.48%
It's a close call 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:18 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
So actually, you do get it. You said so yourself. This is exactly why the northeast has schools that perform better on average than almost everywhere else in the country.
It logically follows that an affluent town anywhere else with a competent school system will produce equal results. Your kid can only attend one school (unless maybe you have quantum kids that don't obey macro physics), so it shouldn't matter too much whether there's 1 school, 10 schools or 100 schools that are superb and in affluent neighborhoods.

What IS important, is that you can afford to live in such a town. Not sure about you, but I cannot afford to live in darien, redding, greenwich, westport, etc. I suppose one could make sacrifices and afford west hartford or farmington, but I could also sacrifice nothing and move to franklin or brentwood TN.

Obviously where one establishes their life includes way more variables than schools and taxes, so YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 12:34 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
It logically follows that an affluent town anywhere else with a competent school system will produce equal results. Your kid can only attend one school (unless maybe you have quantum kids that don't obey macro physics), so it shouldn't matter too much whether there's 1 school, 10 schools or 100 schools that are superb and in affluent neighborhoods.

What IS important, is that you can afford to live in such a town. Not sure about you, but I cannot afford to live in darien, redding, greenwich, westport, etc. I suppose one could make sacrifices and afford west hartford or farmington, but I could also sacrifice nothing and move to franklin or brentwood TN.

Obviously where one establishes their life includes way more variables than schools and taxes, so YMMV.
Just a side note - you might be surprised at how affordable Redding actually is. You can get a mid sized colonial or ranch on 1+ acres for less than $500k. While not "cheap", it's definitely a bargain compared to other towns in the area.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:02 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Redding:
7,000+ annual taxes
built originally in 1800's
2 bedroom, 2 bathroom
78 Black Rock Tpke, Redding, CT 06896 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Franklin(TN)
2,700 taxes (no vehicle tax or income tax either)
built in 2012
5br, 2.5 bath
312 Valleyview Dr, Franklin, TN 37064 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

To me it's no comparison. I suppose if you realllly wanted and/or needed to live in CT it could be done, I'm just not that guy.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:21 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Redding:
7,000+ annual taxes
2 bedroom, 2 bathroom
78 Black Rock Tpke, Redding, CT 06896 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Franklin(TN)
built in 2012
5br, 2.5 bath
312 Valleyview Dr, Franklin, TN 37064 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

To me it's no comparison. I suppose if you realllly wanted and/or needed to live in CT it could be done, I'm just not that guy.
I made no mention of TN, nor am I arguing that Redding is comparable in any way. I was merely commenting that people often think Redding is grouped with the New Canaans and Dariens of the area in terms of COL, when in reality, Redding's home prices just a small step above your Newtowns and Monroes. That's all.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:05 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Redding:
7,000+ annual taxes
2 bedroom, 2 bathroom

Franklin(TN)
built in 2012
5br, 2.5 bath

FFC high prices are driven by 6 towns. Redding is not one of them.
Have a friend originally from here in Brentwood,TN now for many years. Beautiful area, he has house the size of an airplane hanger at the time purchased for about 250K, highly recommend it. Lives in great family development next to a beautiful park with ballfields, a small amphitheatre.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:19 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tax_tax_tax_tax View Post
For those of you not born here..

If you had the opportunity to do it over again, would you have gone elsewhere?

I've lived in four different states, and have seen essentially everything east of the Mississippi rather extensively. I can therefore objectively analyze my decision to land in CT as such:

Pros:

-CT is just about the highest paying state for my profession, and offers more opportunities within it than arguably any other state.
-I do like the variability of seasons. Fall is definitely an A+ here, and I'm not one of those who minds the snow in the winter (likely because I park in a garage, and my HOA takes care of snow removal). Summers are more like a C, however--either far too humid, or stuck in the mid 70's when longing for a beach day.
-The state is overwhelmingly safe. In my 13+ years here, I've never once felt unsafe..even when traversing some dicey ('gentrifying') areas of New Haven.
-No shortage of excellent dining opportunities, and landing a table on a Friday night at one of the better places is very possible. There are also some pretty good food truck options to be found.
-The police here are by and large respectful and helpful. One does not get pulled over unless they legitimately deserve it. The same can't be said for someplace as close as Westchester County, NY.

Cons:
-You probably know my sentiments regarding roads and drivers here. I'm not sure whether the terrible roads result in terrible drivers, or people in CT were just taught to drive like they do. Either way, it's far and away the most significant con. Driving 30 miles in CT feels like driving 300 miles in many other states.
-Housing options: I do not care for old homes, period. The housing stock here is literally crumbling. Please spare me that crap about 'character'.
-Taxes/cost of living: Gas prices are outrageous. Property tax on our vehicles to support quite possibly the worst infrastructure in the country is maddening. Groceries are pricey. Sales tax on clothing is ridiculous.
-Provincial mindset: The competition and nitpicking between towns is ridiculous..especially in terms of schools. Moreover, people here rarely venture beyond a 3 hour radius of home. An 'exotic' trip to most here constitutes perhaps a trip to Maine or the Jersey Shore, at best. Anything beyond a 30 minute drive is considered 'too far' on a typical weekend.

I'd say the pros and cons pretty much cancel each other out. Certainly don't envision staying in CT the rest of my life, but it isn't unbearable for now. Many days I long for a less densely populated state, but I also do like the amenities that come with the craziness of living here.
Not qualified to vote as a native, but just yesterday we were at a going away party for good friends in town (originally from LA) who are relocating back out west for a job transfer. They have lived in different areas, and said lower FFC by far is the best place they ever lived and the only area they are sad about leaving.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:35 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
I work till 5:30 everyday so the sun setting an hour later doesnt mean anything to me

Old 12-07-2015, 08:36 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I lived in CT for five winters - that was enough. Overall, I am glad that I moved to CT in 2009 and would not change a thing. However, I can now check "live in New England" off my bucket list. Things I remember about living in CT:

Pros:
The natural beauty of the state, especially compared to Dallas, is breathtaking.
Friendly, if somewhat high-strung, people.
Great Italian food.
Close proximity to NYC and Boston
The best bike trails I have ever experienced.
The summers are lovely
Intellectual conversions with complete strangers.
People aren't always sticking their nose in my business.

Cons:
Co-workers are always getting sick.
Entitled workforce that is lazy.

Infested with Democrats.
Old, worn out housing and infrastructure. CT is definitely stuck in the past.
Colonial architecture is way overdone here.
The meanest, and dumbest, horseflies on the planet.
Sunsets in December at 4:20 PM are depressing.
Leafless trees six months of the year is depressing.
Earthquakes, tropical storms, blizzards, tornados...one calamity after another. It's amazing CT even exists.

Particular to me:
Toxic co-workers (sales - not operations)
Horrible winters, falling on the ice, power black-outs.
this sounds more like a personal experience, not something that u can attribute being the fault of the state.

Also i cant really remember the last time an earthquake, or tornado did enough damage in the state to warrant it being an issue. Blizzards are pretty infrequent along with tropical storms.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:47 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
this sounds more like a personal experience, not something that u can attribute being the fault of the state.

Also i cant really remember the last time an earthquake, or tornado did enough damage in the state to warrant it being an issue. Blizzards are pretty infrequent along with tropical storms.
I agree. We have had some unusually tough winters recently but nothing like you get in other parts of the country. Connecticut is well protected from open ocean storms by Long Island so most of the time our storms are mild by the time they get to our state. If anything Connecticut experiences more mild weather because of it. Also, we only had one very mild earthquake in the last 40 or more years. It was so mild in fact that most people did not even know it happened until it was reported on the news. I thought it was just someone working in my office building. There was no serious damage caused by it. It certainly is a stretch to say they don't know how we even exist because of this. Jay

Old 12-07-2015, 09:09 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Suprise fact CT sits on one if the largest Eastern fault lines in the United States and has minor earthquakes during the year. Also we do get sporadic possible and some tornado touchdowns in the summer. A lot of flooding in the state. Heavy rainstorms, nor'easters, and blizzards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut