Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you still relocate here, if you had the opportunity to do it all over again?
Yes, absolutely 13 41.94%
Yes, but only due to an employment opportunity. 3 9.68%
Absolutely not 11 35.48%
It's a close call 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:22 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Suprise fact CT sits on one if the largest Eastern fault lines in the United States and has minor earthquakes during the year. Also we do get sporadic possible and some tornado touchdowns in the summer. A lot of flooding in the state. Heavy rainstorms, nor'easters, and blizzards.
We have extremely small earthquakes. A good majority of them you don't even feel. Have we ever had an earthquake above 4.0-5.0 before? I know we had a small one like 10 years ago where nearly everyone felt it. I remember we were freaking out when the ground only shook lightly for a few seconds. Look at the bright side, at least we're not in San Francisco where scientists predict an earthquake will hit within the next 5-10 years. They're not talking about a tiny one, but one bigger than the earthquake that hit the Bay Area in 1989. San Francisco is probably one of the most natural disaster prone areas in the country. Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's, the city used rubble and debris from previous earthquakes and fires and used it as landfill to add land. This will make the ground unstable when a bigger earthquake hits. I wouldn't be surprised at all if buildings stink into the ground or even worse swallow highways and roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 10:08 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I made no mention of TN, nor am I arguing that Redding is comparable in any way. I was merely commenting that people often think Redding is grouped with the New Canaans and Dariens of the area in terms of COL, when in reality, Redding's home prices just a small step above your Newtowns and Monroes. That's all.
Touche, I see now you said "on a side note"...

Old 12-07-2015, 11:16 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Suprise fact CT sits on one if the largest Eastern fault lines in the United States and has minor earthquakes during the year. Also we do get sporadic possible and some tornado touchdowns in the summer. A lot of flooding in the state. Heavy rainstorms, nor'easters, and blizzards.
Surprise fact: CT is the safest state in the Union when it comes to natural disasters.

Where to hide from Mother Nature.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:03 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Surprise fact: CT is the safest state in the Union when it comes to natural disasters.

Where to hide from Mother Nature.
I would assume Vermont would be safer than CT.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:22 PM

457 posts, read 905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
this sounds more like a personal experience, not something that u can attribute being the fault of the state.

Also i cant really remember the last time an earthquake, or tornado did enough damage in the state to warrant it being an issue. Blizzards are pretty infrequent along with tropical storms.
Of course, everything I wrote is my personal experience. I guess if something doesn't affect you personally, then it didn't matter. But the topics I mentioned did mean something to me - and a bunch of people in CT lost their jobs because of it.

I ran a Stratford distribution center owned by a major Aerospace company based in the sunbelt. In an age of JIT (Just In Time) manufacturing lost work days can have a negative impact on plants worldwide - and a crushing impact on the reputation of CT as a place to do business. Consider the following:

June 24, 2010: High winds, associated with a small tornado in Bridgeport, damaged power lines in our area, resulting in two days of downtime waiting for power to be restored.

August 23, 2011, an earthquake damaged our Stratford building, causing chunks of concrete to collapse from our loading dock and cracking the exterior of the building. I lost three days of production to locate a structural engineer to confirm that the building was still sound.

August 27, 2011 Tropical storm Irene slammed into Stratford, flooding the road and only access to our plant, and cutting power for three days.

October 29, 2012 Tropical storm Sandy slammed into Stratford, resulting in loss of power that lasted 5 days. I believe this was the storm that started the company to consider relocating the business to a friendlier weather environment.

February 8, 2013 a major blizzard dropped 30" of snow on Stratford, pushed 8 - 10 feet of snow against our building, and crippled our production for nearly a week. Note, several employees were unable to work due to being stuck in their homes in Bridgeport.

Really, I could go on and on about the weather interruptions and the cranky and sickly employees. But the point is that in 2008 some moron in Miami thought that building a distribution center literally feet from Long Island Sound in Stratford was a brilliant idea. I left the company in March 2014 and moved to a better job in Georgia. The company closed the Stratford site a couple of months ago and moved the business to their Miami and Phoenix DCs.

And that is that.

Last edited by Dallascaper; 12-07-2015 at 04:46 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 06:06 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
Of course, everything I wrote is my personal experience. I guess if something doesn't affect you personally, then it didn't matter. But the topics I mentioned did mean something to me - and a bunch of people in CT lost their jobs because of it.

I ran a Stratford distribution center owned by a major Aerospace company based in the sunbelt. In an age of JIT (Just In Time) manufacturing lost work days can have a negative impact on plants worldwide - and a crushing impact on the reputation of CT as a place to do business. Consider the following:

June 24, 2010: High winds, associated with a small tornado in Bridgeport, damaged power lines in our area, resulting in two days of downtime waiting for power to be restored.

August 23, 2011, an earthquake damaged our Stratford building, causing chunks of concrete to collapse from our loading dock and cracking the exterior of the building. I lost three days of production to locate a structural engineer to confirm that the building was still sound.

August 27, 2011 Tropical storm Irene slammed into Stratford, flooding the road and only access to our plant, and cutting power for three days.

October 29, 2012 Tropical storm Sandy slammed into Stratford, resulting in loss of power that lasted 5 days. I believe this was the storm that started the company to consider relocating the business to a friendlier weather environment.

February 8, 2013 a major blizzard dropped 30" of snow on Stratford, pushed 8 - 10 feet of snow against our building, and crippled our production for nearly a week. Note, several employees were unable to work due to being stuck in their homes in Bridgeport.

Really, I could go on and on about the weather interruptions and the cranky and sickly employees. But the point is that in 2008 some moron in Miami thought that building a distribution center literally feet from Long Island Sound in Stratford was a brilliant idea. I left the company in March 2014 and moved to a better job in Georgia. The company closed the Stratford site a couple of months ago and moved the business to their Miami and Phoenix DCs.

And that is that.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

You happened to live in CT during a stretch of natural disasters never before experienced in this state so close together. If you choose to look the other way when people who have lived here for decades mention that, and ignorantly claim your limited experiences to be common occurrences, well - you lose.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:32 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:

You happened to live in CT during a stretch of natural disasters never before experienced in this state so close together. If you choose to look the other way when people who have lived here for decades mention that, and ignorantly claim your limited experiences to be common occurrences, well - you lose.
While what you say is true, who's to say this doesn't become the new norm?

Old 12-07-2015, 06:32 PM

457 posts, read 905,230 times
Quote:

Actually, I won.

Sour grapes? I don't think so. I'm a Texan living in GA making a great deal more $ and loving it. However, I know some people in CT who are not so happy and I feel bad for them.

KLX closure caught Stratford by surprise
KLX closure caught Stratford by surprise - Connecticut Post

Old 12-07-2015, 06:50 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Actually, I won.

Sour grapes? I don't think so. I'm a Texan living in GA making a great deal more $ and loving it. However, I know some people in CT who are not so happy and I feel bad for them.

KLX closure caught Stratford by surprise
KLX closure caught Stratford by surprise - Connecticut Post
I'm not talking about you leaving CT - I'm talking about your obsession with natural disasters that paints a false picture regarding the risk of living here. I think you actually believe that's how life is here day in and day out, so yes, in that regard, you lose.

And your negative, whining posts about how much you disliked CT and it's populace sounds like you were nothing but sour grapes when you were here. I have met numerous people (both who moved here and elsewhere) who subconsciously tried everything to hate the place they lived. I suspect that's the case here. Problem is, people guilty of this rarely recognize the problem began with them. So again, lose, even though you're walking away on your high horse.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:56 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:

And that is that.
You do realize that Georgia has more deaths annually from tornadoes than the fatalities stemming from the Connecticut freak storms listed above. By. A. Factor. Of. 4. Whoops. You are more than 10x as likely to die from the weather in GA compared to CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut