Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:24 AM

490 posts, read 1,788,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
The car tax is a property tax & while the town collects it I think the state could repeal it.
Would sure be nice.

It seems the state could.

Here is a link about what is going on:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/09/nyregion/09rell.html

If it does not work, I Google it by writing "CT car tax repeal".

I think the car tax in CT is abusive. CT does not offer an excellent transportantion network like NY. I only know FF cty but a car around here is a must. If they still want a tax, they should at least allow 1 car per licensed driver in each household free of taxes.

But I would agree with heavily taxing huge as a house type of SUVs under an "enviromentally/road unfriendly" special tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:42 AM

136 posts, read 763,554 times
I called the town of Avon where I live and told them that I bought a brand new Subaru Legacy in Dec 2008, told them what I paid and they told me I will get a bill next December(I can claim part of it on my 2008 taxes) and it should be around 500 dollars or little bit less than that. Maybe they should use this tax to improve public transportation around Connecticut so people depend less on cars

Old 02-07-2008, 09:23 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Car taxes do not go the State, they go to the town. they are not used for upkeep of highways. Keep in mind that if you eliminated car taxes, you would see your property tax bill increase significantly. Governor Rell pushed repealing the car tax a while back and it was met with resistance since many towns need this funding source.

As for New York's "excellent transportation network", I agree that they have extensive mass transit, but their highways and roads are not very well maintained. Connecticut is not New York (thank God)! Jay

Old 02-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Car taxes do not go the State, they go to the town. they are not used for upkeep of highways. Keep in mind that if you eliminated car taxes, you would see your property tax bill increase significantly. Governor Rell pushed repealing the car tax a while back and it was met with resistance since many towns need this funding source.

As for New York's "excellent transportation network", I agree that they have extensive mass transit, but their highways and roads are not very well maintained. Connecticut is not New York (thank God)! Jay
I have zero complaints about the roads and highways of NY, having driven on them for many years. They ARE very well maintained and signaled. Do not agree with your assessment at all. Yes, NY is not Connecticut. Thank God! (NY is soooo much better...).

Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
ambar371 - And do not agree with yours at all either. I guess that all we can do is agree to disagree. Jay

Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,362 times
I suppose if you are blind the roads in NY are better, but even then surely a blind person could feel all the potholes and bumps on NY roads

Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srib View Post
I suppose if you are blind the roads in NY are better, but even then surely a blind person could feel all the potholes and bumps on NY roads
________
For the amount of heavy traffic they receive 24/7 they are in pretty good shape. But if you don't like them, you should go and help fix them. How about next Tuesday at 7:30 am?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambar371 View Post
________
For the amount of heavy traffic they receive 24/7 they are in pretty good shape. But if you don't like them, you should go and help fix them. How about next Tuesday at 7:30 am?
and there enters the token caveat. and I do help fix them - everytime i have to pay 5 bucks at a toll in NY. Welcome to CT where you can drive around for free.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srib View Post
and there enters the token caveat. and I do help fix them - everytime i have to pay 5 bucks at a toll in NY. Welcome to CT where you can drive around for free.
_____
Free?? No way. What about the car tax??? -the reason I wrote in first place, topic is now off to NY highways. You can avoid some of the tolls in NY, but you can't avoid the car tax in CT. If they don't get you with one thing, they'll get you with another.

I guess that new car I wanted will have to wait.

Ciao,

Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 AM

car taxes are payable to towns and cites and have nothing to do with the maintainance of the highway system which i beleive someone already pointed out on this thread. If thats why you wrote then your question has already been answered - twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut