Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:06 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times

Advertisements

I am talking from a perception POV, not necessarily reality. As Manhattanite, I am a textbook example of NYT articles.

We looked everywhere and researched for years for a 2nd home. We couldn't afford the Hamptons. Everything else was Long Island. Couldn't afford Greenwich or Westport. So we bought in Madison, and love it. We could have bought anywhere else. Since we wanted a beach town, we actually seriously considered Spring Lake on the Jersey Shore.

In-laws did the same thing before us. So have many other people we know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:09 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Again, who cares about status. And my family in Manhattan and most of their friends summer on the shore. I don't know one person who goes to the CT shore for vacation. Maine , Rhode Island , The Cape , Jersey , Delaware and OBX yes. But not CT.

In Fact I really don't know of any one who even goes to the beach in CT. Mostly everyone I know goes to RI for the day.
Well, I personally don't care whether or not you know people who vacation on the CT shore.... I do. And a lot of other people do as well... especially NYers. So....do you have a suggestion for me, or are you going to continue to bash the CT shore??

Old 12-22-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
in fact i really don't know of any one who even goes to the beach in ct. Mostly everyone i know goes to ri for the day.
lol

Old 12-22-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Again, who cares about status....
You're right, not important, yet it helps if you're trying to convince a teenager to come to CT rather than spend the weekend in Manhattan, hanging out with friends, walking around. Or, see if you can convince other Manhattan parents to allow their teenagers to go with their friend to the Jersey Shore.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:03 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Of course they do. There are houses even in the Bronx that sell for over $ 1M. You go to Montauk if you can't afford Hamptons.

As marquees, after Hamptons, CT is next. You could be renting a bungalow in Niantic or Clinton, but you say "you are spending the summer in CT" people in Manhattan think you are seeping coctails on a hammock in Greenwich or Westport.

Keep in mind, that for many Manhattanites, Westchester is upstate.

Again, we're talking about perception, status symbols here.

Another reputable area is Litchfield County, and you also hear Berkshires too.
I pity those so hung up on choosing their getaway destination based on what others perceive to be "affluent".

So glad I live so far from this mindset and associate myself with others who could care less about not picking like this.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I pity those so hung up on choosing their getaway destination based on what others perceive to be "affluent".

So glad I live so far from this mindset and associate myself with others who could care less about not picking like this.
How many people (that you associate with) vacation in Bridgeport?

Old 12-23-2015, 06:54 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
How many people (that you associate with) vacation in Bridgeport?
Jay

Old 12-23-2015, 07:12 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

If you're paying 10K per week for a summer rental-- It's not a matter of perception... You are affluent.

I don't care how much money my neighbors have-- I care that the area is quiet, that there is high quality dining, very low crime and that people are general well mannered. I'm not comfortable around people who are obviously inebriated. I like quality accommodations.

I think that's what people look for and the Connecticut Coast offers that to a much higher degree than Wildwood, etc...

Last edited by mlassoff; 12-23-2015 at 07:32 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 07:22 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Again, who cares about status. And my family in Manhattan and most of their friends summer on the shore. I don't know one person who goes to the CT shore for vacation. Maine , Rhode Island , The Cape , Jersey , Delaware and OBX yes. But not CT.

In Fact I really don't know of any one who even goes to the beach in CT. Mostly everyone I know goes to RI for the day.
Just because you do not know anyone going to the Connecticut shore does not mean it is not desirable. The fact that rentals of coastal town properties command such high prices in our state is evidence enough to show that the Connecticut shoreline is desirable among affluent people. Jay

Old 12-23-2015, 08:06 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
If you're paying 10K per week for a summer rental-- It's not a matter of perception... You are affluent.

I don't care how much money my neighbors have-- I care that the area is quiet, that there is high quality dining, very low crime and that people are general well mannered. I'm not comfortable around people who are obviously inebriated. I like quality accommodations.

I think that's what people look for and the Connecticut Coast offers that to a much higher degree than Wildwood, etc...
Spending 10K on a beach house in CT just seems beyond outlandish to me, affluent or not - maybe coming from the perspective of someone who grew up on CT coast and still there today (its a 10 minute jog, 5 min bike ride away - so its free for me). I suppose it has an appeal to wealthy new yorkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut