Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:11 PM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Downtown Bridgeport need major improvement like jobs, more apartments, entertainment scene, museums, night life. It pretty dead Downtown the closer to train station, bus station there minimal foot traffic further away from train station you barely see anyone.
When Bridgeport was home to a number of the state's largest banks (People's, City Trust, Connecticut National, Mechanics and Farmers, State National), there was a lot of activity downtown. But most of those banks were closed during the bank consolidations over the years. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 12:12 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,158,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
By casual observation I would say New Haven has the most foot traffic. Stamford probably has it beat by economic activity though, largely due to big retailers like Target and the Stamford Mall. Downtown Hartford feels dead to me compared to both, even during business hours.
Stamford is mayhem and chaos with automobiles, not sure if anywhere even comes close.
Don't know Hartford much but was downtown one day this past summer mid-week and it was deader than Elvis, pretty much like Bridgeport.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:16 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,285,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Stamford is mayhem and chaos with automobiles, not sure if anywhere even comes close.
Don't know Hartford much but was downtown one day this past summer mid-week and it was deader than Elvis, pretty much like Bridgeport.
Downtown is only busy during the morning when people are walking to work and at night when people leave their offices. It's somewhat busy during lunch. The weekends are indeed dead and it's only busy in Downtown Hartford unless there's a concert or sporting event. As surprising as it may sound I think Downtown is busier than it's ever been since the 80's...at least in my eyes. Once UCONN moves into Downtown and once everything is settled in then you'll notice more young people walking around. I only notice young people around bars and restaurants though it's somewhat rare to find a group of people randomly walking around downtown.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:18 PM

13,993 posts, read 13,782,486 times
Quote:
Thankfully don't work in any of them to really know anymore, but was in downtown Bridgeport last week for jury duty and seemed pretty quiet. Not a lot of cars, and most of the people I saw walking were fellow jury duty.
That is shame for CT most populated city CT biggest city title should of went to New Haven or Stamford.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:20 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,285,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hartford is the largest employment center with more than 114,000 employees but not sure how many are downtown. I would say the top three definitely are, in no particular order, Hartford, New Haven and Stamford. Not sure which one is tops. Jay
There's probably 50k-75k working in and around the downtown area. That's just a guess by the way. CityPlace holds the most which is nearly fully occupied. Goodwin Square's vacant rate is very high as well as couple others. Imagine if those tall office buildings that were proposed in the late 80's were built. I couldn't imagine how high our vacancy rate would be especially since most of the proposed buildings were taller than CityPlace which is the tallest building in the state and has been since 1983.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:59 PM

Providence has nice walkabe downtown area it similar to New Haven. CT has have step it game up

Last edited by BPt111; 03-03-2016 at 04:19 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 08:08 PM

21,574 posts, read 27,817,504 times
Quote:
Yeah but that's cars, foot traffic wise I'm pretty sure New Haven has it beat, largely due to Yale and other schools.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 7,606,664 times
Actually was going to post about NH. I feel it offers the most city environment. Been down in NH a few days lately having to walk. It has a city feel with foot traffic, food shops, and food carts. It has a good vibe.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Actually was going to post about NH. I feel it offers the most city environment. Been down in NH a few days lately having to walk. It has a city feel with foot traffic, food shops, and food carts. It has a good vibe.
What your option on Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport, Waterbury, New London, New Britain, Meriden, Middletown, Ansoina/Derby, Danbury.

Stamford is commuter city for etc.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 7,606,664 times
Could only speak in regards to Bridgeport, Waterbury, and Danbury. Feel Bridgeport is walkable, but with limited places to walk unless ft personal business not out on the town. Similiar to Waterbury wouldn't feel safe walking around in some areas. Only really feel Waterbury is walkable in the small green area and in the suburb area's. Don't feel Danbury is walkable at all again mostly on the outskirts and a small section around the library area. However, feel Danbury offs some great eats that go unrecognized. Also offers the best park in a large town/city area in the state.

As far as New London never really explored the city. However, feels offers lots to do in the towns that surround New London.

Can't say much about Middletown rarely explore it. Will say offers great access to the river and Katherine Cruises is fun. There are some good state parks in the Middletown area.

Meriden I drive through it. They do have a great park in Meriden as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut